Westone UM3X Thread
May 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #511 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure enough, easy mod, and interesting. Great comfort with W3s, but back to sibilance because the hybrids are short, and shorter sleeves are what cause me harshness problems with the W3s. So back to tri-flanges. But sounds interesting for the UM3X, where sibilance has yet to be mentioned, with any size tip.

I was going to mention that, I think the treble gets more present with the hybrids, not shure it will fit the W3 sound signature. I also place them at the middle of the nozzle (not push them up to the bottom) making the tips being longer which helps to prevent the treble being harsh.

May 13, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #512 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found a pair of tri-flanges with the stalk cut just under the largest flange. I do not like the way they sound. Kind of thin and there is too small of a sweet spot.

I still think the larger supplied complys sound best. Compress and jam them in as far as they will go. Same great sound every time. The exit hole is fairly wide so the treble comes through very cleanly and the bass is big.

I'm not able to get a proper seal on my right ear with complys, so the sound I get is thin and without bass.

May 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #513 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly I removed the plastic tube of the small comply tip and insert it into the Hybrid sound tube (it fits smoothly, no need to any wrestle). I was not clear on my original post. It sounds very good with the UM3X. I like it much better than all other tips (Comply, Shure Black Olives, Soft grey Flex, Bi Flanges).

With this tip issues/selection the creativity skills are unleashed.

Tired your mod, woow, the fitting is just like a bliss. It makes me feel the medium style sony hybird tip is specially made for me. Have not decided which one sounds best yet

May 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #514 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tired your mod, woow, the fitting is just like a bliss. It makes me feel the medium style sony hybird tip is specially made for me. Have not decided which one sounds best yet

Both medium and large fit for me but I get better sound with the larger one. Anyway I'm ordering UM56 next week so its a provisional solution for me.
atsmile.gif

May 14, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #516 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found a pair of tri-flanges with the stalk cut just under the largest flange. I do not like the way they sound. Kind of thin and there is too small of a sweet spot.

I still think the larger supplied complys sound best. Compress and jam them in as far as they will go. Same great sound every time. The exit hole is fairly wide so the treble comes through very cleanly and the bass is big.

X2 My friend. I hated the small comply. I think the next best step is UM56
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #517 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both medium and large fit for me but I get better sound with the larger one. Anyway I'm ordering UM56 next week so its a provisional solution for me.
atsmile.gif

I am thinking on doing the same. but I have 3 choices:
a) UM56: vinyl, hard material
b) ListenHear by Starkey custom molds. I believe theirs is softer.
c) ACS, although they are based in the UK
An of you guys have any opinions regarding the softer material when compared with the UM56 for the UM3X?

May 14, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #518 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by layg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a pair of the um3x...

One oddity, the left earphone vibrates when I tap on it. There is enough vibration that, not only can I hear it, but I can feel it when I tap the earpiece in my fingertips. The right side has no such vibration.

I am assuming this is not normal. Has this occured to anyone else?

I just received my pair of UM3X today, and I am experiencing the same exact situation that he described. It only affects the left earpiece, but I can hear the vibration resonating when I tap the housing or close my teeth together. Something is obviously not right in the phones.

I am wondering if I should ask for a replacement from the seller I bought them from or if I should go through Westone directly. Does anyone have advice or more experience with this issue?

May 14, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #519 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my pair of UM3X today, and I am experiencing the same exact situation that he described. It only affects the left earpiece, but I can hear the vibration resonating when I tap the housing or close my teeth together. Something is obviously not right in the phones.

I am wondering if I should ask for a replacement from the seller I bought them from or if I should go through Westone directly. Does anyone have advice or more experience with this issue?

yeah that sounds strange.. i think you have to send them to Westone with the proof of purchase but you should send them a mail or PM powerhound.

May 14, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #520 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking on doing the same. but I have 3 choices:
a) UM56: vinyl, hard material
b) ListenHear by Starkey custom molds. I believe theirs is softer.
c) ACS, although they are based in the UK
An of you guys have any opinions regarding the softer material when compared with the UM56 for the UM3X?

haha same choices for me. But i think I'll go with UM56, makes me feel more confident. I would also consider ASC but that would be much more expensive.

May 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #521 of 4,413
If the vibration is not affecting the sound, then I may be one of the first to have a negative impression of the UM3X. I found them to be a little muddy and the clarity seemed to be lacking. I did just make the transition from PFE's, so that could be the reason for the impression. I already returned the PFE's for a refund before the UM3X arrived, so there is no chance at a head-to-head comparison.

I hope that the vibration is somehow negatively affecting the sound, so that when I receive a replacement, I will have a more favorable opinion of the UM3X.

May 14, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #522 of 4,413
Quote:

If the vibration is not affecting the sound, then I may be one of the first to have a negative impression of the UM3X. I found them to be a little muddy and the clarity seemed to be lacking. I did just make the transition from PFE's, so that could be the reason for the impression. I already returned the PFE's for a refund before the UM3X arrived, so there is no chance at a head-to-head comparison.

Keep listening. That was also my first impression of the UM3X
smily_headphones1.gif
One other person also has the same experience.

As for tips, Idk. All of them fits perfectly with me: great isolation, great sound. I guess I am blessed with a pair of universal ears
jecklinsmile.gif

May 14, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #523 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep listening. That was also my first impression of the UM3X
smily_headphones1.gif
One other person also has the same experience.

As for tips, Idk. All of them fits perfectly with me: great isolation, great sound. I guess I am blessed with a pair of universal ears
jecklinsmile.gif

Lucky you, I wish that was he case with me and the Westone 3...
frown.gif

May 14, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #525 of 4,413
Quote:

I hope that the vibration is somehow negatively affecting the sound, so that when I receive a replacement, I will have a more favorable opinion of the UM3X.

Just give these baby sometime, I think it is becasue PFE got different SS with WM3X. WM3X is warmer earphone.........but for sure not as warm as IE 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back