Westone UM3X Thread
May 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #406 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no midbass? does the um3 sounds flat because of that?

I may be using incorrect terminology. To clarify, there is a significant midbass hump with W3. You just don't hear it with UM3X. Each frequency (bass, midrange, treble) seems to smoothly and naturally blend in with one another so you don't really hear any spikes that over-lapping into other frequecies.

May 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #407 of 4,413
I think the 'significant' midbass hump has more to do with tip choice than anything else, with UM56 its hardly there at all IME. heres a thought; since the westone IEMs are usually very good at responding to EQ, anyone out there with Rockbox willing to try and replicate W3 with UM3X?? I know its a hard ask as there are 2 different drivers, but maybe possible to get close. UM3X sounds like its flat enough to respond VERY well to some judicious use of EQ. obviously this would all be in the name of science as everyone seems to prefer UM3X, but could be interesting. I found the W3 to be VERY dynamic/exciting and could fair better with some styles of music by the sounds of it, perhaps I will have to wait till mine arrive to find out how close they are in that respect.

May 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #408 of 4,413
I finally got my fit kit from Westone so I'm testing out all the tips they sent. I'm pretty sure they're the same tips for the W3. Using the small (gels?) at the moment. We'll see if I get any sibilance. Won't have much time to test until I get home later today, though.

May 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #409 of 4,413
there arent any gels in the Westone fitkit; I think you must be talking abut the single flange thick silicones?? they are kinda translucent white. not my favorite tip of the bunch; found them very uncomfortable as they are quite hard. of course they might have changed whats in the kit and included gels now.

May 8, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #410 of 4,413
Yeah you're probably right. They are most likely just single flange thick silicons - I guess their look just makes me think they're gel since they're clear.

I found the small ones very comfortable and to sound pretty good but I really couldn't even get the medium sized ones in my ears.

Using the medium Comply's now. They sound pretty good but they're a bit uncomfortable to put in (just like the large ones) due to their length.

May 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #411 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there arent any gels in the Westone fitkit; I think you must be talking abut the single flange thick silicones?? they are kinda translucent white. not my favorite tip of the bunch; found them very uncomfortable as they are quite hard. of course they might have changed whats in the kit and included gels now.

I actually found the thick translucent silicone tips to be quite helpful in toning down warmth.

May 8, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #413 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just jump on the ship today and waiting for it now.

A few question, got sony hybird tip here, is it good for UM3X? And wonder UE silcone tip would fit or not?

The Sony hybrid tips wont fit, I can't use them with my SE530 which has the same nozzle diameter of the Westones.

May 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #417 of 4,413
Not sure why you would want to. Unless i am missing something it looks like a rather weak attempt to make a comply tip. Just buy one of the three different sizes of complys and be done with a more refined and longer lasting product.

May 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #418 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure why you would want to. Unless i am missing something it looks like a rather weak attempt to make a comply tip. Just buy one of the three different sizes of complys and be done with a more refined and longer lasting product.

I agree...If it were that easy.. Great, but it's not. I tried many times to make my own tips...I could not do it!! It is just not that easy!!! I wish it were...I can get those tips cheap at the drugstore.. but I can't seem to get the right hole/fit. Wish I could..

May 9, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #419 of 4,413
I was skeptical too. Too good to be true. But, believe it or not, works better then any other tips around. Better fits, better comfort and sound. And it's fun! It is easy. For me, "that tips those tips" talking is over
smily_headphones1.gif

Please, try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back