Westone UM3X Thread
May 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #436 of 4,413
I'd say that the vast majority of tips that fit Westone 3 will fit Westone UM3X; they have essentially the same nozzle diameter. The only difference is the base of the nozzle is flared on the UM3X and flat/straight on the Westone 3.

-Ed

May 10, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #437 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, they have the same nozzle size.

On a side note, man, these things makes me appreciate Van Cliburn's Rach 2 for the 1st time
darthsmile.gif
Before that, I've always thought it was the most overrated performance ever (largely due to the Orchestra)

The UM3X hisses with the Sony A818... This is not good. I'm planning to get the X1000 which is rumored to hiss even more than A818
frown.gif

At what point does it hiss. In between songs or when you are making a selection. I have sony 729 and i would say the hiss is so minimal that i don't even notice it . Also on bad recordings it is very prevelant. IMO UM2 hissed more and UM3x a lot less.

May 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #438 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At what point does it hiss. In between songs or when you are making a selection. I have sony 729 and i would say the hiss is so minimal that i don't even notice it . Also on bad recordings it is very prevelant. IMO UM2 hissed more and UM3x a lot less.

Yeah of course it is very dependant on the source, my A818 alone + UM2 or UM3X = big hiss, but if you put a D2 boa or a D10 in the equation, no hiss anymore.
But I still think the hiss is not reduced on the UM3X compared to UM2, I would say it is a different kind of hiss, and of course when the song is on, you can barely hear it... Anyway, my portable rig includes a D2 boa so I don't have this problem on a regular basis.

May 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #439 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by battosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah of course it is very dependant on the source, my A818 alone + UM2 or UM3X = big hiss, but if you put a D2 boa or a D10 in the equation, no hiss anymore.
But I still think the hiss is not reduced on the UM3X compared to UM2, I would say it is a different kind of hiss, and of course when the song is on, you can barely hear it... Anyway, my portable rig includes a D2 boa so I don't have this problem on a regular basis.

Besides getting rid of the hiss, do you think the D2 or D10 significantly enhances or retains the quality of the sound with the UM3X? Right now, I just use a cheap volume adapter to remove the hiss, but I don't like the impact it has on the audio.

May 10, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #440 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides getting rid of the hiss, do you think the D2 or D10 significantly enhances or retains the quality of the sound with the UM3X? Right now, I just use a cheap volume adapter to remove the hiss, but I don't like the impact it has on the audio.

For my main rig, with headphones I use D10 in USB feeding a darkvoice 336SE, good combo, I don't use the darkvoice for driving IEMs though, they don't require that much power. For my portable rig I use D2 Boa. So to answer your question is, yes the D2 boa improves significantly the sound, at least on the UM2 (can't coment on the UM3X yet, too early) the soundstage is much bigger, the bass hits harder and the treble is improved, not very good in describing it, but overall I feel more the music, I am more inside the music, it just sounds great. and when i don't use the D2 Boa (when I go to the fitness center for example, I miss it...)
Hope it helps a little. Next week I'll use UM3X and D2 Boa, I'll tell you how they synergize!

May 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #441 of 4,413
I use my Headsix sometimes with the UM3X, and like any other IEM, amplifiers help a little but the difference is not huge. If you expect a lot of change, you will be dissapointed.

May 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #442 of 4,413
depends on the amp, I have a couple that do make quite a noticeable difference for definite; but in general yes I agree

May 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #443 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my Headsix sometimes with the UM3X, and like any other IEM, amplifiers help a little but the difference is not huge. If you expect a lot of change, you will be dissapointed.

When not using your headsix..is the eq on your ipod off. My ipod eq is always off and with just about any amp I ever had I heard changes and the sound was much better with it. Even the ie8 sounds much better with my xxs or previous 2move. Just my 2 cents.
Just got the um3x yesterday so I can't say the difference their yet as I have not listened w/o my amp. First impressions are good though.

May 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #444 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When not using your headsix..is the eq on your ipod off. My ipod eq is always off and with just about any amp I ever had I heard changes and the sound was much better with it. Even the ie8 sounds much better with my xxs or previous 2move. Just my 2 cents.
Just got the um3x yesterday so I can't say the difference their yet as I have not listened w/o my amp. First impressions are good though.

Yes, I usually have equalizer off. It sounds better buy not my much.

May 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #445 of 4,413
This may of been asked already, but to save me trawling through this already lengthy thread, does anyone know (for certain) whether Cyber Yazgan is an authorised Westone dealer (they are selling the UM3x on ebay)?

EDIT: Also, as I have never imported anything of high value and/or risk of quality control failure, if I import the UM3x and they are to be defective and/or break somewhere along the line (within the warranty peiod), will I have to ship these back to the US/country imported from for them to be repaired and/or exchanged? This would be a considerable deterrent if so, for the obvious reason of hefty shipping costs on my part (particulary if I am unfortunate to experience multiple unit breakdowns). Thanks in advance.

May 10, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #446 of 4,413
BloodSugar, I know the W3 have to be sent back to the US for repair, so I imagine the UM3X do too. We don't have any Westone 'repairers' in the UK
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #447 of 4,413
Anyone feeling like this...

As I listen to UM3X, the high open up...But I think that balance armature does not require burn in...and I need to turn up the volume a Little bit to get a clearer and stronger high...otherwise, the high sounds muddy to me...

May 10, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #448 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BloodSugar, I know the W3 have to be sent back to the US for repair, so I imagine the UM3X do too. We don't have any Westone 'repairers' in the UK
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, thanks for the reply/info Soozieq! I forgot Westone didn't have anu UK outbranch(es) for a second there! Thinking of them in same breadth as Shure and UE's/Logitech (as major players in IEM market) and so wasn't thinking of how geographically fixated they are at present
wink.gif
. Well, that anwsers one question/issue I'm weighing up in any prospective purchase I might make. Also awakens me to the fact, as you say, that any problems that occur with my W3 will mean a shipment (cost and length of transit time) to US... I wonder if Variphone behave as a quality control for Weston in Europe? Brings me back to my original query, in essence; does buying from seller outside Europe/EU and/or Variphone mean that you wouldn't be eligible to utilise them as a quality control service (if they offer it)?

May 10, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #449 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, thanks for the reply/info Soozieq! I forgot Westone didn't have anu UK outbranch(es) for a second there! Thinking of them in same breadth as Shure and UE's/Logitech (as major players in IEM market) and so wasn't thinking of how geographically fixated they are at present
wink.gif
. Well, that anwsers one question/issue I'm weighing up in any prospective purchase I might make. Also awakens me to the fact, as you say, that any problems that occur with my W3 will mean a shipment (cost and length of transit time) to US... I wonder if Variphone behave as a quality control for Weston in Europe? Brings me back to my original query, in essence; does buying from seller outside Europe/EU and/or Variphone mean that you wouldn't be eligible to utilise them as a quality control service (if they offer it)?

Yeah, there's always the worry about something breaking down and having to send it back to the US for repair. But I don't often read about quality control issues with Westone earphones, so for me, it's worth the risk. Of course, it makes me even more obsessively careful about looking after them!

EDIT: Forgot to say that I don't think you'd be able to use Variphone (for example) as a qc service unless Westone authorised it.

May 10, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #450 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, there's always the worry about something breaking down and having to send it back to the US for repair. But I don't often read about quality control issues with Westone earphones, so for me, it's worth the risk. Of course, it makes me even more obsessively careful about looking after them!

EDIT: Forgot to say that I don't think you'd be able to use Variphone (for example) as a qc service unless Westone authorised it.

Cheers for that. I suppose my best bet is to give Westone and/or Powerhound a quick e-mail and check what the score is for sure. Very true, also, that you do rarely read about qulity control issues with Westone products. 'Bout the best on the market for their build quality etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back