Westone UM3X Thread
May 7, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #346 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Having done many reviews does not make a person credible, just makes em prolific.
2. Reviews posted on a website of a retailer are hardly credible at all.

(shakes head)....

MaloS...as was just mentioned by another poster last week, you just love to argue with people that aren't fully aligned with your expert IEM opinions. Your condescending arrogance really shows through.

So (for example), Headroom and Earphone Solution IEM overviews are basically worthless? Pretty much right in line with CNET reviews? You truly think that?

Like also was said yesterday, UM3X has been out barely one week and there is limited info but most people appreciate all of the tidbits of info that are available to, again, better help them decide if it's an IEM they may want to purchase. I know...perhaps we should lockdown this thread and BAN any comments about UM3X until it has been available for 3 months and/or a minimum of 20 people on Head-Fi have purchased it?? Would this be better? Or better yet, perhaps we should restrict IEM reviews exclusively to yourself, HeadphoneAddict, Antonyfirst and Catscratch as that would certainly elevate the level of true credibility to the opinions about IEMs on this forum. Or maybe you can tell all of us in your expert opinion what makes a credible comment/review?

Incredible.....

May 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #347 of 4,413
Seriously this is a um3x appreciation thread, not "i don't own them but i fart a lot" thread.

May 7, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #348 of 4,413
it seems like there is too much crying going on in these last few pages of this thread. to me, it seems that the people arguing about the credibility of a reviewer are the ones who have fallen for the FOTM in the past. learn to make your own judgments on what people have to say about a product without having to bash on the reviewer who is only trying to help others out.

May 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #349 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is the PFE silicone might work with the UM3Xs. I have the W3s, and haven't tried the Phonak tips, but I will to see if they will stay on. They might not because the W3 sound tube is slimmer than the PFE sound tube. But I will let you know today. If the PFE tips stay on the W3s, they will probably stay on the UMX3s.

Thank you tstarn06. I asked the question because, if I don't like the Comply tips, I still can use my PFE's silicone tips. I prefered the silicone tips because, it is easier to use and maintain. Or, just try some other tips during the shopping
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #350 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well all I can promise is that i'l write a measured response using the equipment i've got on hand, which is pretty decent. I might also do so with the HP out of my iphone 3G for a baseline that more people might relate too, but i'll likely be using UM56 tips, because I just dont like other tips since I have them (thats if they stay on, the holes are getting a bit large from using on SE530 and they were damaged in an incident that I wont go into related to where I got them they weret staying on anything in summer, but now its colder I guess the rubber is harder and i'm getting some joy lately) i'll be able to compare directly to SE530; which is actually the IEM i've been using the most lately as my W3 needed to be RMAd and was playing up for a little while before that, so my memory of the W3 for comparison might not be too flash. most of the impressions will be done with iriver->D10->Lisa III>UM3X with UM56 so if they dont sound good like that; we've got issues
biggrin.gif
i'll also do some with my DIYMOD with D10/lisa/larocco Diablo. maybe with and without VCAP, depends on how into the review I am and how distracted I am with the amazing toons

OMG I do fart alot
tongue.gif
sheesh. lucky I like to slum it with the ordinary people once in a while. sorry about that outburst guys. rest of it seems well thought out; guess I got distracted by the light shining out of my own ass
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #351 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you tstarn06. I asked the question because, if I don't like the Comply tips, I still can use my PFE's silicone tips. I prefered the silicone tips because, it is easier to use and maintain. Or, just try some other tips during the shopping
smily_headphones1.gif

No go with the Westone 3s and the PFE silicones. They fit nicely, but not snug enough and will no doubt come off in your ear, a real drag. The W3 flanges fit very snug on the sound tube, and will not come off, same with Complys, though some folks in this thread said Complys also have come off when removing the UM3X. There is nothing to secure the tips to the W3 sound tube, so you have to be careful taking them off.

As a suggestion, the Shure soft flex tips are very similar to the PFE tips, but fit much more snugly on the W3s, so they should also work with the UM3X.

May 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #352 of 4,413
Quote:

No go with the Westone 3s and the PFE silicones. They fit nicely, but not snug enough and will no doubt come off in your ear, a real drag. The W3 flanges fit very snug on the sound tube, and will not come off, same with Complys, though some folks in this thread said Complys also have come off when removing the UM3X. There is nothing to secure the tips to the W3 sound tube, so you have to be careful taking them off.

As a suggestion, the Shure soft flex tips are very similar to the PFE tips, but fit much more snugly on the W3s, so they should also work with the UM3X.

Are you talking about the soft grey silicone tips or the hard clear ones?

Thanks

May 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #353 of 4,413
You mean the Shures? The soft grey silicones, very similar to the ones that come with the W3s (but not the UM3X). I had some of those around as well, and tried them out on the W3s, but they are basically about the same as the Westone version SQ and fit-wise. So they should work with the UM3X as well.

But the PFEs are just not snug enough on the sound tube and will most definitely end up in your ear.

I have some of those hard clear tips, both the ones that came with the W3s and the Shure version, and they seem to me to be mostly torture devices.

May 7, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #354 of 4,413
I am listening to UM3X and W3 now. I have just got UM3X now. I have IE8 as well to compare.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #355 of 4,413
Quote:

You mean the Shures? The soft grey silicones, very similar to the ones that come with the W3s (but not the UM3X). I had some of those around as well, and tried them out on the W3s, but they are basically about the same as the Westone version SQ and fit-wise. So they should work with the UM3X as well.

But the PFEs are just not snug enough on the sound tube and will most definitely end up in your ear.

I have some of those hard clear tips, both the ones that came with the W3s and the Shure version, and they seem to me to be mostly torture devices.

Yes, I'm talking about the soft grey silicone ones that came/ come with the W3 - those were the only ones that didn't cause any (physical) pain. They're (almost) identical to the Shures, and I may have read elsewhere that they are in fact Shure tips. So, are you referring about these ones not fitting the UM3X's?

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear or failing to understand what you're saying.

May 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #356 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am listening to UM3X and W3 now. I have just got UM3X now. I have IE8 as well to compare.
bigsmile_face.gif

I will really look forward to this!!
ksc75smile.gif

Mine still haven't shown up
mad.gif

Anyway, here's a (hopefully) simple question for you after you're familiar with the UM3X. On a 'warmth' rating...
biggrin.gif
... where would you place the UM3X? To my ears, the IE8 is very very warm, and the W3 is less so, but it's still warm. If you also hear the IE8 as very warm, then your rating of the UM3X warmth will be very helpful to me
smile_phones.gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #358 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

looking forward your comparsion too
atsmile.gif
My question is similar to soozieq, how warm is that?
I am also concernig about soundstage between them. Thanks

May 7, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #360 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soozieq, your complex use of emoticons seems more complicated than the answer you're looking for
wink.gif

But they're not complex to me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back