Westone UM3X Thread
May 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #316 of 4,413
Yeah, 'your mileage may vary'- one of the most overused wannabe qualifiers on this forum... Heh heh. I agree that direct comparisons without absolute statements are most valuable for gaining an appreciation of phones' sound signatures. Thankfully I haven't read too many impressions that aren't backed up by direct comparisions so far in this thread. Maybe a few here or there.....

May 6, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #317 of 4,413
pdupiano :

well then I agree that YMMV is overused; but come-ON!! first of all the fact you periodically come in here with some sort of character assassination is really getting boring mate; go get your jollies somewhere else please.

secondly; you cant get rid of YMMV; sure it should maybe used a little more sparingly sometimes, but the FACT is that no mater how well researched your point, or how well informed you are; we are talking about subjective assessments of a subjective pleasure. and every persons opinion is coloured by the shape of their ear canal, their ideal sound, the equipment they are using it with, the music they are listening to etc etc etc.

so get off your high horse and maybe come back when you got something on topic to say

May 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #318 of 4,413
Spyro, obviously you're talking about this post:
"
Not really. From Day 1, many people always pointed to the rolled off highs of SE530.

Take this with a grain of salt but in recent communications with people that have heard UE10 and ES3X, this is what I am hearing.

ES3X is MUCH better than UE10.

UM3X is about 75-80% of what ES3X is. (I thought it would be even closer but I guess not)

UM3X is getting very close to what UE10 is (90% plus).

This would lead me to believe that the 2 Westones are outstanding IEM's in their respective pricepoint categories.

I have no idea where UE11 fits in. "

From Bolardito:
"For me UE11 is like 50-70% better than any of the universals I have heard (IE8/SE530/W3/ER4P/S)."

From Gameboy115:
Yea, westone 3 once was the best IEM ever, but seems not now as it is described as muddy,bloated bass, inaccurate IEM

From spyro:
"I believe Flavio at Earphole Solutions stated he prefers UM3X to his ES2. That's pretty significant considering he wasn't going crazy over UM3X...just that he liked it."

From TsTarn06:
"gtameboy115, your statement is a generalization with little meaning. Or are you just saying what you think the majority of HFers are saying. Pretty confusing. In fact, I believe MaloS is a W3 fan, so I doubt he would call the W3 muddy, inaccurate or delivering bloated bass. Can't speak for him, but I have seen his posts on the W3, and he has made some positive statements of late, now that he has settled on the modded bi-flange."

Earlier post from Spyro:
"UM3X has much more treble detail than SE530 and this was 80% of the complaints about SE530 (besides cables) "

From theory 87:
"i hate w3. the mid is overly done for me to a point of very artificial so I did not have a proper comparision. It just doesn't suit me at all after 4 audition of about 30 min each.
Same case for IE 8 as i find the mid is too thick for me too. "

From Zalithian:
"I think I'm the only person who's said the UM3X have a bigger soundstage than the IE8's - but I also said it was either very slightly bigger or about the same. I think I'm pretty much alone in thinking it's THAT big but keep in mind that is based off memory as my IE8's are currently at Sennheiser right now. Memory isn't the best indicator, so in an A/B comparison it might very well be the UM3X's are smaller in soundstage - but even if they do they have fantastic separation, air, and spacing in my opinion."

========
Ok so those are the quotes I'm working with cuz those are the ones that I was awake for.

So looking from above, people make countless statements, and spyro, you seem to be percentage happy. And I dont know where you get your numbers from and as others have stated before you can't really use numbers if you don't have anything to back it up. As I mentioned in my post what may seem to be 60% of headfiers really isn't 60% because some don't vote on polls, and some dont bother to complain about every little thing wrong with their iem's, or sometimes we forget to count people who say they don't have problems with the rolled off highs of the se530's.

Zalithian made comments regarding the soundstage of the UM3x and it took about 13 pages into the thread before he made the comment I quoted above. I think that if you make a statement, you should clarify if it is from memory/if you A-B or whatever method you used to test because the information can be misleading. So if anything Id suggest posts fall in along the same lines as Zalithian's where you give a bit of BG info before making comments.

Theory 87's comments are based on his personal preference, but once again those are quick snappy statements against the W3's. Your casual reader would say, okay so the W3's are a bit bass heavy/overbloated etc... Which Gameboy115 supports in the quote above.

Your quote about Flavio is another example where you are unsure about why an iem is better yet still use another person's review. Flavio mentions that he just simply likes the UM3x better, not giving a reason, yet you think this is enough of a justification that the UM3x is better. Sorry that can't cut it.

But here's a little support for my post, TsTarn06's quote above in reference to gameboy115's post, is a clear indication that I am not alone in wanting people to give more credible or at the very least a more detailed explaination to their comments. I think MaloS even asked at the beginning of the thread for folks to post up their comparisons based on other iem's since people hear them differently.

I know that there are a lot of examples where you, spyro, and others have given good examples comparing the UM3x to the se530's/tft pros etc.. but there are comments that just make me cringe when people end up making statements like theory 87's or gameboy115's. And Quite frankly your overestimation in that one post above is one of the main reasons why I posted the comment earlier, but I wasn't singling you out, there are certainly other head-fiers who have made statements without a reference point, which makes a lot of what they say a little harder to understand/accept.

All I'm saying is that its gonna keep getting confusing especially with the whole "newness" issue with the UM3x. And as others have mentioned, a lot of us don't want to get sucked into the FOTM craze like we did with the W3's. So if you and other guys who have bought the UM3x can tone things down a bit or at least make very clear and accurate responses/recommendations (based on other iems), then I think things would be easier for everyone. I actually didn't mean to single you out, the use of strong statements without comparisons is a common thing I've noticed on head-fi and Voltage's thread is quite frankly the biggest example of what I am referring to. I just dont want this thread to end up like that or the original W3 appreciation thread where there was a great deal of self denial/group denial before people finally started voicing how they really felt.

YMMV = your millage may vary

I stand firm by what I've said especially with my previous post, but I didn't attack or single out anyone in that post because I think a lot of us can be blamed for certain posts that we've made. I think in a lot of ways it would just be better for the community if we kept certain things in mind. Like every statement regarding an iem should be in reference to something else, because all of this is very subjective. Atleast if we know where people are coming from, we can have a more educated understanding of what they are saying.

May 6, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #320 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pdupiano :

well then I agree that YMMV is overused; but come-ON!! first of all the fact you periodically come in here with some sort of character assassination is really getting boring mate; go get your jollies somewhere else please.

secondly; you cant get rid of YMMV; sure it should maybe used a little more sparingly sometimes, but the FACT is that no mater how well researched your point, or how well informed you are; we are talking about subjective assessments of a subjective pleasure. and every persons opinion is coloured by the shape of their ear canal, their ideal sound, the equipment they are using it with, the music they are listening to etc etc etc.

so get off your high horse and maybe come back when you got something on topic to say

My horse died cuz I broke its back after trying to ride it with my new speakers.

I wasn't trying to attack any one person with that thread, its just a warning before the thread goes off on the deep end.

I agree that you can't get rid of YMMV, but I dont get why people have to qualify their statements with YMMV, just own up to what you say. Plus if you do direct comparisons, YMMV doesn't really apply much since we know where the reviewer/response is coming from. I can say that "the UM3x has the most liquid midrange" all I want, but everyone here would more than likely ask me how does it compare to the SE530's midrange. If I've never heard the se530's, would you trust my assessment of the UM3x? Would my assessment be valid/useful in any way? No. And what if I were to say:

The UM3X has the best midrange I've ever heard and the highs aren't too peaky or rolled off, they're just right. The bass is nice and round, it hits you with a nice deep boom but isn't soo powerful that its muddy. The vocals are amazing, they aren't in your face but they are there. But thats what I got from my initial impression. Since I got surgery on my ears a few months back, you guys may hear something different.

Now would you take ANY of that as usable? Well some people might. Its misleading. And my point is those kinds of statements should be stopped.

In terms of adding more to the thread, yeah I pop in once and a while to read up on comments that compare the um3x to the se530's (probably the main reason I focus on spyro's comments because he's dealt primarily with the se530's -unfortunately its also the main reason why I may have inadvertently singled him out in the last post). I mean what do you want me to do, just ask questions like .. Ohh how does the UM3x soundstage compare to the AtrioM5 or IE6?

Qusp, I'm also waiting for your impressions once you get your pair, and I'm hoping that you will include comparisons and not statements of fact. Its not like I'm lurking this thread, though it may seem like it since I pop up every few pages or so. But the thing is I wait to make comments until the topic moves from direct impressions of the UM3x to something I can add to. I obv can't add to the current discussion of the Actual UM3x but I think I can add to the discussion of what the "X" stands for . And the recent problem of bold, unsupported claims. Plus my post is I think timed with the recent couple of posts questioning the FOTMness of the current thread. I would like to think that when you question the FOTM, that you should request direct comparisons -which is what I did.

May 6, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #321 of 4,413
pdupiano, no need to get in a huff. The UM3x's have been out for how long? A week! More credible impressions will come in, don;t worry (not to say that some haven't been already). I get the impression your fingers are itching to buy this product right now!

Again, as has been said in subjective based comparos/descriptions, so much of it is equivocal even from more established members that it can be difficult to ascertain what is truly meant. YMMV may be overused but it cannot be more true.

I do agree though, a review/impression is almost meaningless without a reference point of another iem but then surely you've been here long enough to know that not everyone can or wants to give an in depth analysis of how X is different to Y.

It seems you are trying to buck the trend of absolute statements / foundationless impressions. No point trying to fight it. It goes without saying that no subjective statement is absolute. Again, not everyone can/wants to give in depths comparisons. You can't force it out of them.

May 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #322 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From spyro:
"I believe Flavio at Earphole Solutions stated he prefers UM3X to his ES2. That's pretty significant considering he wasn't going crazy over UM3X...just that he liked it."

Your quote about Flavio is another example where you are unsure about why an iem is better yet still use another person's review. Flavio mentions that he just simply likes the UM3x better, not giving a reason, yet you think this is enough of a justification that the UM3x is better. Sorry that can't cut it.

I think you just mis-understood my point. My point was that Flavio was not quite as animated as I was about what an awesome IEM UM3X was. So I thought you may see his viewpoint as a little more level headed and less fanboyish as mine....So I thought him saying he still likes UM3X over ES2 was worth noting. Plus, he's a credidible source having done many, many reviews at Earphone Solutions.

May 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #323 of 4,413
You know.....all this arguing back and forth is actually very constructive. Like in any other topic, it is very helpful (at least to me) to hear the positive comments from the enthusiastic crowd, as well as the naysayers who bring us back to reality.
At the end, when the dust settles (if it ever), we will have a better idea of where the UM3X (or any other IEM) stands. While I can not compare it to the 530's, it is to my ears better than other universal Westone products.
I have really appreciated this discussion.

May 7, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #324 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about confusion I made. First, I don't hate W3 or doubt what it could perform. I was talking about it has a cycle in this froum. Every IEM is going through the stage of being loved, hyped, doubted, hated,forgot. Somehow the cycle may start all over again after a while.

All the good things people ever praised on might suddenly become bad thing when the new IEM comes

I am sure IE8 will fall down sooner or later......

In fact I plan to get WM3X soon
wink_face.gif

So easy to misconstrue posts, but I don't necessarily agree that every top-tier IEM goes through that cycle, not quite as black and white as all that. But people do change their minds, no doubt. At first I really liked the W3s, then I ran into the sibilance thing when I tried to use a more comfortable (read shorter) tip. Was ready to toss in the towel, get the IE8, and call it a day. Tried the modded tri-flanges and a dab of treble EQ and found W3 joy. I'd still like to use a short tip, but you can't have it all.

Anyway, it does sound like the UM3X resolves the sibilance issue, among other differences with the W3. I might get one too.

May 7, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #325 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you just mis-understood my point. My point was that Flavio was not quite as animated as I was about what an awesome IEM UM3X was. So I thought you may see his viewpoint as a little more level headed and less fanboyish as mine....So I thought him saying he still likes UM3X over ES2 was worth noting. Plus, he's a credidible source having done many, many reviews at Earphone Solutions.

1. Having done many reviews does not make a person credible, just makes em prolific.
2. Reviews posted on a website of a retailer are hardly credible at all.

May 7, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #326 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Having done many reviews does not make a person credible, just makes em prolific.
2. Reviews posted on a website of a retailer are hardly credible at all.

Exactly. And I remember one head-fi'er who recently defended a lengthy argument of his rather vehemently with only reviews from one such retail site. Different thread, but needless to say it didn't hold water, and was a failed attempt at defending a point because of the flimsiness of the reviews there compared to head-fi.

May 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #327 of 4,413
I just received a pair of the um3x.

They sound good. They seem to mask nothing in a recording. The bass seems a little (I do mean very little) weak, but I assume that is because they need to be broken in.

Overall, they are comparable to Modula MTs with the h1212. The sound stage is nowhere near the MTs, but I didn't expect it to be.

One oddity, the left earphone vibrates when I tap on it. There is enough vibration that, not only can I hear it, but I can feel it when I tap the earpiece in my fingertips. The right side has no such vibration.

I am assuming this is not normal. Has this occured to anyone else?

May 7, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #328 of 4,413
I think I've had a weird issue like that with my A818 and UM3X/IE8's but I didn't test it much. I mostly use them with my D2. Make sure you try all the tips. I originally liked the small Comply's that came with the UM3X's but liked modded bi flanges, shure olives and the large comply's all to be superior.

May 7, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #329 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've had a weird issue like that with my A818 and UM3X/IE8's but I didn't test it much. I mostly use them with my D2. Make sure you try all the tips. I originally liked the small Comply's that came with the UM3X's but liked modded bi flanges, shure olives and the large comply's all to be superior.

What does any of that have to do with components vibrating inside the earphone housing when it's tapped?

That doesn't sound like normal behavior for any set of earphones, layg. If it were me, I'd look into getting a replacement pair.

May 7, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #330 of 4,413
Well, there seemed to be weird vibration in my left earpieces while playing music. Could be related - or not. I don't have the problem with my D2 so maybe it's my sony - but I also don't have the issue with the PFE's or anything on the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back