Westone UM3X Thread
May 7, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #331 of 4,413
Zalithian:

I don't think we are thinking of the same thing.

After some more listening, I am going to send them back. I can hear/feel the vibration when walking, even over music. If I snap my teeth together, I hear the vibration. The right earpiece does not exhibit this problem, so I know it can have nothing to do with anything but the housing itself.

Upon closer inspection, I see that the housing did not get sealed all the way. I will try to post a picture.

May 7, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #333 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there seemed to be weird vibration in my left earpieces while playing music. Could be related - or not.

Okay. Though layg's issue strikes me as quite definitely a UM3X hardware defect if he's hearing the vibration simply by rapping the earphone with his finger (i.e. independent of a DAP or music).

May 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #334 of 4,413
you mean you feel the vibration with the IME's in your ears? I am trying with mine and don't have that problem. Weird. Sounds like a manufacture defect...

May 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #335 of 4,413
gilency:

Yes, it most certainly is. The housing is apart on the side where the cable goes into the housing.

I tried to take a picture, but my cell phone is not good at macro, and it came out unintelligibly blurry.

May 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #336 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So easy to misconstrue posts, but I don't necessarily agree that every top-tier IEM goes through that cycle, not quite as black and white as all that. But people do change their minds, no doubt. At first I really liked the W3s, then I ran into the sibilance thing when I tried to use a more comfortable (read shorter) tip. Was ready to toss in the towel, get the IE8, and call it a day. Tried the modded tri-flanges and a dab of treble EQ and found W3 joy. I'd still like to use a short tip, but you can't have it all.

Anyway, it does sound like the UM3X resolves the sibilance issue, among other differences with the W3. I might get one too.

I may exaggerate that "every " iem go through cycle, but it is no doubt that this cycle happens. If you did not happen to find right tip, W3 was on your sell list already, right? W3 would be your once hyped/loved and forgetton earphone then. For me, somehow if I don't find the method of shallow inserting to my ear canal wiht IE8, I might sell it already......

I have no doubt I thought my 5 pro was greatest ever, but since I get IE8, it is collecting dust now and totally forgotten.

What i said at the first place is to reply Malos words "Westone 3 reviews were much more glaring then they are now.".

Because W3 hype was over, some people tried it and thought it did not suit their taste well, so they moved on and keeping searching "the one". Again, I am not only talking about W3 only, it happens to IE8, Tri fi 10 pro, SE 530.
It is no best earphone in world, I really beleive it is depending on what SS people prefer. Trust me, it is never my intention to degrade W3.

I don't feel anthing if someone tell me I don't like IE8, it does not worth what I pay for. My thought is that it might not good for taste or type of music you listening only.

@pdupiano, I told you once more I was not making a bold statment........I already explained one time before you quoted my word in your post. I feel sorry about people misunderstanding me, accusing me of what it was not intention to say.

May 7, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #337 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My horse died cuz I broke its back after trying to ride it with my new speakers.

hehe; sorry for the cliche. sheeshe, your a little high maintenance, there's a lot to reply to in this post
tongue.gif

Quote:

I wasn't trying to attack any one person with that thread, its just a warning before the thread goes off on the deep end.

yeah I realize that man, but please; just because you want some quality information and you want it now; dont underestimate people's ability to sus out what is meaningful and what isnt. sure every statement has a potential effect, but anyone who rushes off and buys an IEM because of a baseless comment deserves anything they get. sorry but thats how I feel about it; people will never post 100% backed up and measured comments in a thread, especially so early on, where there are so few actual owners. so you just have to use your brain and if you arent willing to just blow the money and bite the bullet before there is plenty of information on the subject, then just relax and wait for it, it'll come.

Quote:

I agree that you can't get rid of YMMV, but I dont get why people have to qualify their statements with YMMV, just own up to what you say. Plus if you do direct comparisons, YMMV doesn't really apply much since we know where the reviewer/response is coming from. I can say that "the UM3x has the most liquid midrange" all I want, but everyone here would more than likely ask me how does it compare to the SE530's midrange. If I've never heard the se530's, would you trust my assessment of the UM3x? Would my assessment be valid/useful in any way? No. And what if I were to say:

well if I was already an owner of one or a couple of great IEMs and wanted to know if UM3X was an upgrade..no. but that doesnt mean that you can tell people who dont have all this experience with gear that their comments here are meaningless and they should keep it to themselves (not saying you said that, but it certainly sounds like you are inferring it)

Quote:

The UM3X has the best midrange I've ever heard and the highs aren't too peaky or rolled off, they're just right. The bass is nice and round, it hits you with a nice deep boom but isn't soo powerful that its muddy. The vocals are amazing, they aren't in your face but they are there. But thats what I got from my initial impression. Since I got surgery on my ears a few months back, you guys may hear something different.

Now would you take ANY of that as usable? Well some people might. Its misleading. And my point is those kinds of statements should be stopped.

well sure; you know what I would do?? ignore it, simple as that mate; you have the ability to discern what is useful to you and what isnt.....use it. what are you going to suggest; that you be designated thread moderator and decide what content is worthy and what isnt?? :shakes head:

Quote:

In terms of adding more to the thread, yeah I pop in once and a while to read up on comments that compare the um3x to the se530's (probably the main reason I focus on spyro's comments because he's dealt primarily with the se530's -unfortunately its also the main reason why I may have inadvertently singled him out in the last post). I mean what do you want me to do, just ask questions like .. Ohh how does the UM3x soundstage compare to the AtrioM5 or IE6?

confused.gif
nah, say nothing, if you are just going to pop in and antagonize people because you are impatient to have the info you need to justify buying these, then just leave it out altogether if others evaluations dont meet your lofty standards, then just bite the bullet and buy the IEMs and write some yourself. you forget, people dont get paid to write here, its just chatting about a product some info is useful, some is dross, some is mindless ramblings. use your powers of observation to work out which is which.

Quote:

Qusp, I'm also waiting for your impressions once you get your pair, and I'm hoping that you will include comparisons and not statements of fact. Its not like I'm lurking this thread, though it may seem like it since I pop up every few pages or so. But the thing is I wait to make comments until the topic moves from direct impressions of the UM3x to something I can add to. I obv can't add to the current discussion of the Actual UM3x but I think I can add to the discussion of what the "X" stands for . And the recent problem of bold, unsupported claims. Plus my post is I think timed with the recent couple of posts questioning the FOTMness of the current thread. I would like to think that when you question the FOTM, that you should request direct comparisons -which is what I did.

well all I can promise is that i'l write a measured response using the equipment i've got on hand, which is pretty decent. I might also do so with the HP out of my iphone 3G for a baseline that more people might relate too, but i'll likely be using UM56 tips, because I just dont like other tips since I have them (thats if they stay on, the holes are getting a bit large from using on SE530 and they were damaged in an incident that I wont go into related to where I got them they weret staying on anything in summer, but now its colder I guess the rubber is harder and i'm getting some joy lately) i'll be able to compare directly to SE530; which is actually the IEM i've been using the most lately as my W3 needed to be RMAd and was playing up for a little while before that, so my memory of the W3 for comparison might not be too flash. most of the impressions will be done with iriver->D10->Lisa III>UM3X with UM56 so if they dont sound good like that; we've got issues
biggrin.gif
i'll also do some with my DIYMOD with D10/lisa/larocco Diablo. maybe with and without VCAP, depends on how into the review I am and how distracted I am with the amazing toons

when a new and excellent product is released; you really just have to accept that there will be some FOTM type hyped up comments bandied about. once we get to this level; calling anything; no matter how amazing it is, THE BEST is plainly ridiculous; but people get carried away and **** happens. live with it and roll with the punches. take what you need and make your decisions based on that and then own your decision. if you get some and you dont find them amazing, dont blame person X because they wrote a comment that said they were the best thing since sliced bread and they should have known better than to post their impressions before the crucial 500hr mark.

on with the thread; should have mine in a week or so with luck, so give me a week or so after that before I post anything of real value; the first week you'll have to just be satisfied with my 'i've got a new toy and I love it' type comments
tongue.gif
nah i'll try and keep the to a minimum

May 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #338 of 4,413
Hi people....when i bought W3 i was very happy...now the UM3Xis out...so may i be not happy???with W3???NOOOOOOOOOOOO.....i tell my girlfriend that i will sell these and buy UM3Xs....she told me: you are trying to get the best but it is neverending story, you are running to nowhere and she was RIGHT.....so these posts here is only BIG sauce....buy try sell
smily_headphones1.gif
)or keep
smily_headphones1.gif
)and almost very bad is when people have a lot of money....they want these and these....and they get them
smily_headphones1.gif
)but they appreciate new IEM for a while cause another comes out....it is neverending story...maybe i will be the same so i thanks i dont have a lot of money
smily_headphones1.gif
)...but i understand that many want to buy the best but remember that BEST dont exist
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Enjoy your high-end IEMs, not imagination of some better, transparent, analytical, with huge soundstage phones or true nirvana in audio
smily_headphones1.gif
)Wgen someone buy first high-end IEMs..it is like cancer
smily_headphones1.gif
)avoid this nonsense
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 7, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #339 of 4,413
You make a good point, however for me personally it's been a long and neverending journey not because something new comes out, but because everything I've tried so far just isn't the sound I'm looking for... there's either not enough bass, or veiled mids, or lacking highs, or too bright... etc... etc....

These UM3X certainly sound like they just might be the ones... or they could be another 'almost but not perfect' set of IEMs for me. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't have the $$ to try em out yet.

May 7, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #340 of 4,413
One more question.
Are PFE's silicone tips usable/compatible with UM3X ?
How it's sound like?

Thank you.

May 7, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #341 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You make a good point, however for me personally it's been a long and neverending journey not because something new comes out, but because everything I've tried so far just isn't the sound I'm looking for... there's either not enough bass, or veiled mids, or lacking highs, or too bright... etc... etc....

These UM3X certainly sound like they just might be the ones... or they could be another 'almost but not perfect' set of IEMs for me. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't have the $$ to try em out yet.

A few people think like you
smily_headphones1.gif
)and so i understand that i will never buy universal IEMs ...only customs...casue price is overhelmed....a but i will see if sound on ES3X will do what i want....i will seee but thanx
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #342 of 4,413
Oh, yeah customs are definitely the way to go if you can afford it! Ultimately I'd prefer customs... but $850 is definitely out of reach for me.

May 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #344 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with customs is resale value. With universal IEMs, you can always sell yours on the forum (or eBay) and recoup most of your cost. With customs, that is not an option.

But for universal you pay much more like for customs
smily_headphones1.gif
do you understand what i mean???
o2smile.gif

May 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #345 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more question.
Are PFE's silicone tips usable/compatible with UM3X ?
How it's sound like?

Thank you.

My guess is the PFE silicone might work with the UM3Xs. I have the W3s, and haven't tried the Phonak tips, but I will to see if they will stay on. They might not because the W3 sound tube is slimmer than the PFE sound tube. But I will let you know today. If the PFE tips stay on the W3s, they will probably stay on the UMX3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back