Westone UM3X Thread
May 6, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #286 of 4,413
UM3X arrived yesterday, if i could sum up the review in one word, it would be GAMISETA! just one problem though, the tips, the left ear keeps slipping out and not staying in as the right one is and i havent got a nice seal, i am now deaf in the right ear and i would like the same for the left, can someone suggest some tips apart from impressions because i spent all my money on a hearing aid

May 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #287 of 4,413
GAMISETA! -- Doesn't sound like an English word. What does it mean? I should imagine it's something positive as you go on to say 'just one problem, though...'

May 6, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #288 of 4,413
just got a listen on the UM3X today, maybe my expectation is too high, i didn't enjoy it that much.

treble: the extension is better than SE530, but SE530 has more mid/lower treble energy, so it makes the vocals sound clearer than UM3X to me. another reason is because UM3X is warm sounding, after having SE530 for some time im not very used to it.
mids: SE530 is more forward, UM3X is pretty much a solid 2nd most forward.
bass: i had a TF10pro listening as well, i still prefer its bass over UM3X, although they do sound quite similar. TF10pro has slightly more sub-bass impact. both are definitely stronger and extend lower than SE530.

overall: UM3X has a much more fuller sound than SE530, likely due to the warm SS. im still pondering whether to get this, maybe i'll go down to the shop in the weekend again for a final decision.

May 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #289 of 4,413
No problem with you disagreeing, but I was just stating my own personal case, so also no reason to disagree or agree. I guess despite my somewhat insane buying and selling history (I usually recoup 80 percent of my initial cost), all I am saying is I am happy with a single high-end (cost-wise that is) phone, because I seldom used two when I had two in my collection (IE8 and W3).

You can say anything above $50 for portable phones is a luxury, but having two $300+ IEMs, to me, is beyond luxury, it's sort of a waste. Again, personal situation only, didn't mean to speak for anyone else (and I even noted that I understand that POV).

Also, my "beaters" are nowhere near $150 phones based on what I paid (which is part of the fun here, getting the best possible price for gear). I paid $94 for the new PFEs from a private seller via Amazon, and $35 for the ADDIEMs, used (but actually new, without the box). And the primary reason I keep the X10s is my wife, who uses headphones very sparingly, likes their tiny gels, so I agreed to keep them around for her (and use them myself now and again). They are $350 MSRP phones, but I paid $175 for them. I probably would have sold them a long time ago if she didn't like them so much.

Anyway, wasn't even trying to debate anything, just presenting my POV on owning more than a single pair of high-end IEMs. Of course, personal choice rules. But I am the opposite from you, in that I'd rather have one strong high-end pair of IEMs that I love, and a few less expensive sets for messing around. I am also one of those people who really enjoy finding low-budget, high-quality gear (a major fan of Class D amps, like the T-Amp, for example). But I do enjoy owning a single high-end pair of IEMs, which, in my case, were a gift from my wife at Xmas.

Hey, each to his/her own. If I could afford it, I'd have all the great stuff. I just can't. But the UM3X does sound interesting...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd disagree with tsarn, truth of the matter is if we all followed our budgets with regards to audio.... well lets just say a lot of threads here wouldn't exist.

That guy with the shure fetish, is certainly an example of someone who desperately tried to push too hard and just went onto the absurd. Kind of sad really to believe that you can drastically (note I said DRASTICALLY) change the way an iem sounds. And its very RARE that a mod will improve just one aspect of an iem and not degrade another. In the end, all mods have to deal with trade offs (Trade offs that designers took into account when designing the iems, for example the W3 with a far reaching highend sacrificing other aspects). So if someone claims that a mod will fix everything... well then either some developers and researchers need to get fired or we need to evaluate just how much we should blindly believe certain headfiers.

As far as luxury goes, a good deal of the stuff discussed in this forum is luxury based so I think using the word luxury with highend iems is a bit misleading. Plus Tsarn, you said it yourself you own a few beater pairs... but those beater pairs are approx 150 each. Buying a pair of se530's for 250 on the market or tft pro (do these even sell anymore?) for 250(?) isn't too much of a stretch from having say PFE (150), ne7m (60), koss plugs X 2 (30). I know a lot of headfiers who have spent well over 400 on lower end iems, friend of mine had Q-jays, pfe's, and er4p, and misc crap he's bought from radioshack and bestbuy.

I think having 2 different highend iem's aren't too bad especially if you're content switching back and forth between the two. All I'm saying is I'd rather have my se530 + X, over Se530 + 3 or so lower end iems that I wouldnt normally listen to. I guess you can make the argument that you'd rather use a beater pair while working out... but I mean .. thats a little odd since you buy iem's as portable alternatives to regular headphones. Beater pairs are there because you wanna try some colored sounding iems, or just want something different. At the moment the only lower end iem I have is a pair of monster turbines, I've sold off the others to afford a pair if IE8's which I sold off to buy a pair of hd650s. I also have a UM2 that might end up hitting the market soon so I can try out the Westone UM3X and have 2 highend iems again that I can switch between. But as it stands now, if the UM3x is too close to the se530's (sound sig wise) then I'd probably sell/trade the UM3x to try and recoup some of the losses (restocking fees suck, might as well sell here).

May 6, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #291 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you guys give me a overview of the tips you have already already used with the um3x and how they changed the sound/how the sound was with the tip?that would be great thanks!

I've only used the supplied complys. The smaller ones were nice sounding and I could hardly feel them in my ear. No real complaints but the bass seemed slightly less than TFPro and SE530 but overall great balance. I liked the sound.

Larger complys: Everything sort of comes alive. The bass is larger and slams, the sound is a little warmer but the amount of detail is still incredible. In reading the ES3X thread I am experiencing all of the same types of great sound charateristics with the UM3X.

May 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #292 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called UM3X for $379.

I very well know that you do not have a UE10pro to make this assessment.

May 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #293 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi where people make bold claims about gear they've never even heard. I have owned the much maligned Sensaphonics 2X-S for over 4 years now and I have yet to hear a universal model that sounds as good.

I hate to say it, but I bought into the FOTM madness here a few months ago and bought the Westone 3. And while it sounds nice, it comes up severely lacking in most areas when compared to my Sensas. Same goes for every other universal I have.

I have no problem with people expressing excitement over a newly purchased product. But I wish there was at least some attempt to provide an objective balanced view into reviews, not just, "Product X is the best thing ever!!! Perfect! All other products suck d00d!" Maybe I'm asking too much.

May 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #294 of 4,413
Which one looks nicer, the black or the clear one ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think the case/shell colour can change it's SS.

May 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #295 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, but if you see my profile I have owned quite a few IEM's and know what accurate sound is (whereas good sound is subjective).

Until now (with UM3X), as much as I liked every top tier IEM I have had, I found at least one significant flaw in SQ with every one of them. But paired with a $200 MP3 player, I thought the overall sound package was still good enough where I simply couldn't justify spending another $600 for a set of customs whose value will be $0 2-3 years later when I either tired of them, outgrew them or an improved technology comes out. Unless you have stupid money to spend, that just doesn't seem like a logical spend to me so I somewhat disagree on the "just go customs and be done with it mentality."

Yes, I am a huge fan of this IEM, but if you back track and read my posts, I specifically said some will love it while some will prefer a bolder, brasher but less accurate sound. Nothing wrong with that. But if you want smooth and accurate yet still fun and engaging I see no other universal that measures up. I was looking for a specific type of sound and I found it. So while I have been quite enthusiastic about UM3X I think I have also qualified my statements about what sound characteristics do and don't appeal to me and this should be taken into context on a person's potential buying decision.

May 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #296 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one looks nicer, the black or the clear one ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think the case/shell colour can change it's SS.

um... there's a choice of colors? mine is black on the inside half, clear on the outside.

May 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #297 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi where people make bold claims about gear they've never even heard. I have owned the much maligned Sensaphonics 2X-S for over 4 years now and I have yet to hear a universal model that sounds as good.

I hate to say it, but I bought into the FOTM madness here a few months ago and bought the Westone 3. And while it sounds nice, it comes up severely lacking in most areas when compared to my Sensas. Same goes for every other universal I have.

I have no problem with people expressing excitement over a newly purchased product. But I wish there was at least some attempt to provide an objective balanced view into reviews, not just, "Product X is the best thing ever!!! Perfect! All other products suck d00d!" Maybe I'm asking too much.

Yea, feel the same here. You can't know which is FOTM or real deal, unless it could sustain high popularity at least a few months.......

I heard someone said High end IEM is almost equal to what it can do, the only difference is what you prefer to. One is good at bass, lack of clarity, while otehr one is good at clarity, but lack of bass........... Can't agree more

May 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #298 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called UM3X for $379.

I don't know about the UM3X's but they were saying the exact same thing about the SE530's. Some said it was better than the UE-10's. Having owned both of these phones, i can tell you right away that the SE530's are not even close to the UE-10's.

May 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #299 of 4,413
Not sure where there was a bold claim made about gear never heard in this thread. The bold claims are about the UM3X, and it seems the people making claims have heard them, and many other universal IEMs. Have they heard the UE10 Pro, no. But no one is definitively saying the Westones are a better phone, just maybe closer than any universals have come so far.

Also, not fair to label the Westone 3s FOTM comparing them to your 2X-S, when there are plenty of satisfied W3 owners who don't believe they are FOTM phones. As far as it being madness, maybe that's how you see it. I bought the Senn IE8s after much reading about them, and they didn't outperform the W3s in my view. But I didn't feel I got caught up in any madness, I was just curious and decided to try them. Sold them and no loss.

If you believe your customs are so much better than any universals, why even try anything else?

I just didn't see anyone saying that product x is great and everything else sucks on this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

May 6, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #300 of 4,413
I have few questions on owners.
With UM3X you get 4 comply tips, they are all in different size, right?
Which other tips you can use on UM3X? (I read about Shure tips, but somebody say, they go off, while pulling UM3X from ear.)
How big is isolation compared to UE Triple Fi and PFE?
Thank you

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back