Westone UM3X Thread
May 1, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #46 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by passionamy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Totally in love with um3x, vocals sound so sweet with it.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pics! Looks awesome.

May 1, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #47 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by passionamy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its bi-flange. I bought the tri-flange and cut off the smallest tip~

Thanks for the response, passionamy. From the pics, they look to be the kind without a stalk below the bottom flange -- Is that the case, or are you just an expert stalk-trimmer?

May 1, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #48 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response, passionamy. From the pics, they look to be the kind without a stalk below the bottom flange -- Is that the case, or are you just an expert stalk-trimmer?

oh i trimmed off the stalk a little so that i can fit the tip nicely without it sticking out too much. Hope the pictures helped
biggrin.gif

3490013607_58a517f8c4_b.jpg

3490005543_2d177c9c45_b.jpg

flipped the tips over, only a little bit of the stalk is left.

3490023821_f661ea93d7_b.jpg

fits nicely onto um3x

May 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #49 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are doing comparison between UM3X & other phones. I think it would be fair to use universal tips throughout.

Thanks!

there are tons of universal ear sleeves thurs the result will vary too. I don't see any problem.

May 1, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #50 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm is sounding like iriver h132 CF->D10 (hiflight chipset)->UM3X with UM56 is gonna be magic. maybe dont NEED amping, but you can sure bet they will sound amazing with external dacing and then add my Lisa... mmmmmm chocolate

from my h140 to d10 (AD8066 and AD8656), the bass is a little heavy but fun. I will use um3x mainly with my rio karma though. The synergy between karma and westone / shure is good.

May 1, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #51 of 4,413
I've just got my um3x, here are my impression.

The vocals are kinda in your face, much forward compared to the ie8's and it's overall spectrum is much cleaner and clearer than w3 and ie8's, almost like the pfe's. Bass is tight and punchy like the ie8's but lesser in quantity which is a good thing as ie8's bass could be overpowering at times and unlike the w3's which has a slight mid bass hump. The highs are not as sparkly as the pfe's but they are just nice. The mids are extraordinary and almost on par with the 530's. Soundstage is actually quite wide(Lesser than ie8's to me). The fit is just like the um2, comfortable as it just disappears and i don't feel them at all and the isolation is incredible, i could hardly hear anything with no music on. Braided cables are light and comfy and provides very little to zero microphonics. I see the um3x as definitely fotm and beyond. Going to try the modded tri-flanges soon.

To sum it up, it's like the mids of the 530's with lows of ie8's albeit lower quantity with highs of pfe's ( Same clarity and details but less sparkly).

I will be selling my ie'8 as i have found the ideal replacement for it and it's a well balanced iem with all the right spectrum for me.

May 1, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #52 of 4,413
I agree with you on almost everything except I find the soundstage to be on par or slightly bigger than the IE8's, but I didn't get to do an A/B because my IE8's are gone at the moment so it was based on memory which isn't totally reliable. Never used the SE530's though.

I think the UM3X's are a big step up from the PFE's in every aspect besides the lack of sparkle in the highs. The bass impact/quantity is much better as well as soundstage, detail, and separation.

They'd also be a good option for people who found the IE8's to be too thick.

May 1, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #53 of 4,413
Surrealsky, are you hearing any harshness with the "in-your-face" presentation of the vocals? How's the excessive sibilance factor, especially in comparison to the W3 (and how did you find the W3 on that front, to give us a baseline)?

May 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #54 of 4,413
I know your question was directed at Surrealsky, but I thought the vocals were pretty smooth for being in your face. I haven't had any problems with sibilance yet, and that was one of my main concerns and things I tested for once I received them. I think it may have a lot to do with the Comply tips but I haven't done extensive tip testing yet.

May 1, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #55 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know your question was directed at Surrealsky, but I thought the vocals were pretty smooth for being in your face. I haven't had any problems with sibilance yet, and that was one of my main concerns and things I tested for once I received them. I think it may have a lot to do with the Comply tips but I haven't done extensive tip testing yet.

Thanks for jumping in with that, Zalithian. I'm definitely curious to know what effects various silicone tips will have with the UM3x once you get some time to cycle through them. I can render my W3 non-sibilant with carefully inserted Comply tips, but they end up robbing the highs of sparkle and moreover feel just plain icky to me...so I'd only be using silicone sleeves if the UM3x ever winds up on my doorstep...

May 1, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #56 of 4,413
A early conclusion would be that these ones are (overall) better than the populair IE8 and W3? (ok, it always depends on what you want)

I were looking for some W3's or IE8's, but you say I can better buy the UM3X's?

May 1, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #57 of 4,413
Quote:

Surrealsky, are you hearing any harshness with the "in-your-face" presentation of the vocals? How's the excessive sibilance factor, especially in comparison to the W3 (and how did you find the W3 on that front, to give us a baseline)?

I had the w3 for a couple of months and they give zero sibilance for me if you could get the correct seal(after numerous tips) and no the um3x are smooth like butter to me with the mids more forward compared to the w3's. I can safely say the um3x are like an improved version of the w3's, same braided cables, so much better fit(um2 shell), better isolation, NO mid bass hump, tighter bass across the spectrum, cleaner and clearer mids. It's really a no brainer to me comparing them with the w3's. But it has slightly less extended highs compared to w3's and i do believed the sibilance issues with some of w3's users are from incorrect fit or seal(tips) and it's totally not a problem with the um3x.

May 1, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #58 of 4,413
Quote:

Thanks for jumping in with that, Zalithian. I'm definitely curious to know what effects various silicone tips will have with the UM3x once you get some time to cycle through them. I can render my W3 non-sibilant with carefully inserted Comply tips, but they end up robbing the highs of sparkle and moreover feel just plain icky to me...so I'd only be using silicone sleeves if the UM3x ever winds up on my doorstep...

I just tried the modded tri-flanges and it really brighten the whole sound signature for me albeit less bass but i dig the improved highs and brighter spectrum.

May 1, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #60 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the w3 for a couple of months and they give zero sibilance for me if you could get the correct seal(after numerous tips) and no the um3x are smooth like butter to me with the mids more forward compared to the w3's. I can safely say the um3x are like an improved version of the w3's, same braided cables, so much better fit(um2 shell), better isolation, NO mid bass hump, tighter bass across the spectrum, cleaner and clearer mids. It's really a no brainer to me comparing them with the w3's. But it has slightly less extended highs compared to w3's and i do believed the sibilance issues with some of w3's users are from incorrect fit or seal(tips) and it's totally not a problem with the um3x.

agree except less extended highs. I used um56 and the sibilance is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back