Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #4,366 of 4,413
Seems like my 5 year old UM3X-RCs have died. I've had some intermittent cut-outs over the years since I first bought them but it was pretty infrequent. However, now the volume has dropped rather significantly in the right IEM and when I tap it I can hear a rather loud rattle from inside so something is loose in there.

Anyone encounter this problem? Also, any repair experiences with Westone? I really don't want to spend over $500 CAD on competitive IEMs to replace them.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,367 of 4,413
I contacted Westone about the possibility of an out of warranty repair but apparently they cannot or will not repair the UM3X-RCs. They offered a bare bones (no accessories/retail box) UM PRO 30 with only 1 year warranty (standard is 2) at a reduced price but I can buy either the UM PRO 30 or W30 new for less money than what they offered for replacement pricing.

Guess I'm in the market for new IEMs unless I can repair them myself. Anyone had any luck disassembling and repairing the UM3X-RCs?

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4,368 of 4,413
  I contacted Westone about the possibility of an out of warranty repair but apparently they cannot or will not repair the UM3X-RCs. They offered a bare bones (no accessories/retail box) UM PRO 30 with only 1 year warranty (standard is 2) at a reduced price but I can buy either the UM PRO 30 or W30 new for less money than what they offered for replacement pricing.

Guess I'm in the market for new IEMs unless I can repair them myself. Anyone had any luck disassembling and repairing the UM3X-RCs?

That's interesting my buddy had his 3Xs die and he ended up with the 4Rs as a replacement and for the time the gave him a freaking steal. I remember it was like 250 less than going price.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4,369 of 4,413

That's interesting my buddy had his 3Xs die and he ended up with the 4Rs as a replacement and for the time the gave him a freaking steal. I remember it was like 250 less than going price.

They offered $100 USD off the UM Pro 30 price but with only a 1 year warranty (standard is 2 year) and it was IEMs only -- no retail box or accessories. I live in Canada and once you factor in exchange rate and shipping the price was more than what I can buy them for new here in Canada with full warranty and accessories.

Now I need to figure out if I should get the UM Pro 30, W30, or something entirely different. I haven't shopped for IEMs in 5 years so I'm assuming the market is quite different now.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #4,370 of 4,413

They offered $100 USD off the UM Pro 30 price but with only a 1 year warranty (standard is 2 year) and it was IEMs only -- no retail box or accessories. I live in Canada and once you factor in exchange rate and shipping the price was more than what I can buy them for new here in Canada with full warranty and accessories.

Now I need to figure out if I should get the UM Pro 30, W30, or something entirely different. I haven't shopped for IEMs in 5 years so I'm assuming the market is quite different now.

Ah makes sense with the exchange rate but I distinctly remember my buddy getting a better deal. Might have been they were trying to unload the 4Rs at the time or something. Not sure. What are you looking at IEM wise now. I've been thinking of letting my 3Xs or 4s go. My UM3Xs just sit in a case lol.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #4,372 of 4,413
  Thinking about the UM Pro 30s or W30s but I'm ot sure yet -- haven't had a chance to look at the alternatives.

I've been rocking the Aurisonics ASG 2.5s and I love them. Check them out, AS just released a brand new line up. I haven't listened to my 3Xs or 4s since getting them. With some spin fit tips on them they are pretty comfortable.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #4,374 of 4,413
I found the asg 2.5 to be way to dark sounding. I guess I made the right decision of eventually selling my um3x rc. It seems multi balance armature drivers only have a lift span of a few years.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #4,376 of 4,413
Hi guys, considering picking up a pair of 2nd hand um3s, but the last few pages of this thread have been rather worrying in terms of build quality... If the iems are really that shoddily out together then I might want to get them reshelled once they're in my possession. Can anyone comment on the durability of the um3x? Keep in mind I typically baby my iems, probably the only guy who's never had issues with his re0 falling to bits lol. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #4,377 of 4,413
I've owned mine for close to 3 years and had no problems. The housing of the monitors are built really well with no signs of creaks. The two shells are also glued seemlessly together. The fact that they consists of 3 drivers packed in such a small housing mskes the um3x feel very solid and substantial. Its the um30pro you should be more worried about.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #4,380 of 4,413
I had my UM3x for about 3 and a half years without any problems.

I upgraded to the UM Pro 50 about 8 months ago and I've now had 3 separate issues with the MMCX connectors in the past 10 weeks. UM Pro sound great but the build quality just isn't as good as the old UM3x (mainly due to MMCX connectors).

If you are considering the UM3x, go for it. They sound great and they'll last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back