Westone UM3X Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #4,352 of 4,413
First off your English is good :) - better than mine perhaps. 

Also Id start by opening the shell. If you put a small screw-driver in between the clear and black shell pieces you should be able to open it.  Maybe one of the drivers has come loose or maybe the nozzle and drivers are miss-aligned. 

You can probably fix this with super glue. 

Hi again,
Finally I've gotten my thumb out of my a** (maybe that's just a Swedish expression?) and begun trying to fix my UM3 IEM's.

However it looks like the nozzle with the two holes had been glued on to the drivers. And maybe they somehow cracked and seperated a bit and that's what's been causing the loss in volume.
You, however, mentioned something about rubber rings, i did not find any in mine.

I had a few photos that I planned to post here but for some reason I wasn't able to. Do you suggest that I try to glue the nozzle back on the drivers and hope that it does the trick? Feel free to lecture me. :)

//Matte

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,353 of 4,413
Hi again,
Finally I've gotten my thumb out of my a** (maybe that's just a Swedish expression?) and begun trying to fix my UM3 IEM's.

However it looks like the nozzle with the two holes had been glued on to the drivers. And maybe they somehow cracked and seperated a bit and that's what's been causing the loss in volume.
You, however, mentioned something about rubber rings, i did not find any in mine.

I had a few photos that I planned to post here but for some reason I wasn't able to. Do you suggest that I try to glue the nozzle back on the drivers and hope that it does the trick? Feel free to lecture me.
smily_headphones1.gif

//Matte

Id try fitting the nozel and drivers back together. Then glue them. If you find the nozel doesnt fit as tight as it should into the holes then you might want to find something to put on the ends of the drivers to make the holes thicker. Like I used some small wire insulation cut into small rings that I fitted over mine. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #4,354 of 4,413
Hi again,

I had a few photos that I planned to post here but for some reason I wasn't able to. Do you suggest that I try to glue the nozzle back on the drivers and hope that it does the trick? Feel free to lecture me.
smily_headphones1.gif

//Matte

You need few posts to your name to add pics here.
Donot glue the drivers to the nozzle.
I think you might have lost the small tubes which fit on drivers and which go into nozzle holes to make a good seal between them.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #4,355 of 4,413
You need few posts to your name to add pics here.
Donot glue the drivers to the nozzle.
I think you might have lost the small tubes which fit on drivers and which go into nozzle holes to make a good seal between them.

First off, thank you so much. Both Mitchell4500 and MuZo2 for your interest and help.

Those small tubes that you guys are referring to are still attached to the nozzle. To me they look like transparent hard/solid plastic tubes that are glued on to the nozzle. Does that make sense? These plastic tubes fit nicely to the "little thing'ies' on the drivers. What's my next move? Glue it all back together?

/ Matte

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #4,356 of 4,413
Hello people,
I need some advice.  I am a a live drummer and audio engineer (a student), and have had a pair of $50 UltimateEars for about 3 years...  I can tell they are starting to go, and want to upgrade to a universal monitor.  From my research, (on the internet and talking to other musicians) I have found that for me, Westone's will do the job nicely...  My only question is, two or three drivers?  (UM Pro 20's, or UM3X)  I know different musicians playing different instruments generally want to emphasize certain frequencies, but was just curious if it would be better or worse to have one or the other.

One more thing I want to add, the UM3X's are normally $400... So comparing them to the UM Pro 20's isn't really practical.   However, they are currently on sale at Sweetwater for $250 (the same price as the UM Pro 20's)...  That's the main reason I'm asking this question.

Tell me what you think!
Thanks

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #4,357 of 4,413
  Hello people,
I need some advice.  I am a a live drummer and audio engineer (a student), and have had a pair of $50 UltimateEars for about 3 years...  I can tell they are starting to go, and want to upgrade to a universal monitor.  From my research, (on the internet and talking to other musicians) I have found that for me, Westone's will do the job nicely...  My only question is, two or three drivers?  (UM Pro 20's, or UM3X)  I know different musicians playing different instruments generally want to emphasize certain frequencies, but was just curious if it would be better or worse to have one or the other.

One more thing I want to add, the UM3X's are normally $400... So comparing them to the UM Pro 20's isn't really practical.   However, they are currently on sale at Sweetwater for $250 (the same price as the UM Pro 20's)...  That's the main reason I'm asking this question.

Tell me what you think!
Thanks

The um3x are an older model which is probably why they are on sale. I personally prefer the UM3x sound over the UM20s... but the UM20s are probably a little more durable.

If it were me Id get the UM3x. I do live sound (pa systems and stuff) so I think youd like them for drumming, but also for regular listening to music.

I dont own the Um20s or UM3x anymore as I eventually bought the Shure SE846. But I hope my thoughts can help you somehow.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #4,358 of 4,413
Has anyone compared the current UM3X being sold for $249 with the old UM3X? I'm not suggesting there is a change, just wondering if anyone has compared the two. $249 seems like a deal for the UM3X...

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #4,359 of 4,413
  Has anyone compared the current UM3X being sold for $249 with the old UM3X? I'm not suggesting there is a change, just wondering if anyone has compared the two. $249 seems like a deal for the UM3X...

If you mean the UM3x vs UM3x RC... Then I can confirm there are no differences or really huge benefits from the RC over the older one other than the removable cable. Which is nice because the cable on my non RC UM3x started to wear down and break at the ear piece.

If they are new though you should be fine if you take care of them.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #4,361 of 4,413
Did westone ever make a um3x rc with transparent housing on both sides?  I saw one like this and not sure if it's a copy or the real thing.
Even the nozzle as transparent which leads me to believe it might actually be a um2x but advertised as um3x. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #4,363 of 4,413
  Only found one ref, but I think that picture is from UM2
http://gifts-at-nikkis.com/westone-um3xrc-clear-tripledriver-monitor-earphones-p-5050.html

The seller realised it was a um2x and canceled the listing. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Westone-um3x-rc-earphones-Westone-um-pro-30-/221846623803?nma=true&si=1FxgSMCoBOe%252BLvkCK5dZXYuXL0g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #4,364 of 4,413
Hi! I bought a UM3X, but there is no dampers inside. I read that many users removed it. Or I should buy a new one?

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #4,365 of 4,413

GRRRR! I have a love hate relationship with foam, however with the Monster Supertip adapters and the medium Monstertips, sound excellent. i got my tru fit kit in today, and went right back to the supertips. funny thing about the um3x with the monster tips, is it doesnt effect the mids or highs, clarity in mid range to lower midrange is great, highs are extended and sound clear. the bottom is is very nice you get great sub bass extension but also notice a nice mid bass so to me the sub bass and mid bass i perceive to be separate its not all bleeding together.

i still wanna hate the monster super tips...but they sound soo good

You sure take good care of your um3x. They look very comfy resting on that microfiber cloth of yours 
bigsmile_face.gif

Today is a very sad day for me. I will be packing my um3x for delivery to the next owner. I just can't live with the loose sockets which is all thanks to Fiio 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back