Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #1,951 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like a near-death experience to me. glad you make it back to this world
tongue.gif

I found Comply more comfortable than my UM56. I need to see audiologist again for this problem but I am so busy that I need to cancel of appointment with the doctor >_<

maybe you need some re-adjustments. complys are very comfortable but their sound is not comparable to UM56 IMO.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #1,952 of 4,413
Just read his review, and it sounds like the 10X3 would be a good partner with the UM3X, as they have different sigs, but I like MaoDi's take on the 10X3. Now I have to figure out how to raise as much cash as I can from sales, but keep the UM3X. Thanks for the help.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #1,954 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you hear the trees whistling in the wind with the 13s in your ears?

I just did some quick math, and I can sell off a couple pair of phones (Denons, Cresyns), toss in some of my poker stash (hate to do it, but the cause is right), and get the 10X3s for about $400. Sounds like a plan.

Are you saying the ES3X and the JH 10X3 are about the same in terms of SQ? Just curious.

But yes, to return to the thread, the fact I am not selling the UM3X shows how much I appreciate them. It would be easy to sell them and recoup $275 towards the JHs, but I want them to stay right where they are. That's true appreciation.

correct!! no way am I selling these, not that i need the dollars, the Jh13 are already bought and paid for, but for the sound they give; I dont want to be left wanting too much if i dont have the 13's with me for some reason. and yeah charlie I agree, the only areas they do fall down considerably against the 13's is speed/attack, extension (both ways) and soundstage. all other areas are not equal, but not massively.

which makes them very good value IMO (only on head-fi would someone say that
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #1,956 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm not so sure i agree with that, Westone uses Knowles drivers, Klipsch uses Sonion drivers, while Shure and UE uses their own custom drivers. All being the finest drivers on the market today...

Actualy, Shure uses Sonion and sometimes Knowles. UE also uses Sonion. JH uses a combo... this is info I got from the designers, not "hear-say". Ety, I'm not 100% on, but it's one of the two.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #1,957 of 4,413
I want to thank (or maybe curse?!?!
darthsmile.gif
) the people who have contributed to this thread. I just made my UM3X + Shure fit kit purchase from earphonesolutions with one day shipping.

I'm a long time UE SuperFi 5 Pro owner who couldn't justify spending another $400 when I had perfectly good IEMs. Of course looking back on it I should have realized something was amiss with my UEs. Within 2 years one cracked, which UE acknowledged was a manufacturer defect (thanks to people posting here with their cracks) and replaced it for free. The replacement had a new clear cable which within a year oxidized to a dark shade of green. So I paid for a new black replacement UE cable...which shorted out just after the year warranty was over. So this weekend I was going to switch back to my oxidized clear cable. When I pulled on my left earpiece, it broke beneath the connector, pulling out the wire from inside the IEM (which coincidentally was also green with oxidation). So they died.

I agonized for a bit, tried to live with the stock buds w/ mic that came with my iPhone, and after one day realized that was for the birds.

Hopefully I'll receive them tomorrow night and post here with my impressions.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #1,959 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdonly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to thank (or maybe curse?!?!
darthsmile.gif
) the people who have contributed to this thread. I just made my UM3X + Shure fit kit purchase from earphonesolutions with one day shipping.

I'm a long time UE SuperFi 5 Pro owner who couldn't justify spending another $400 when I had perfectly good IEMs. Of course looking back on it I should have realized something was amiss with my UEs. Within 2 years one cracked, which UE acknowledged was a manufacturer defect (thanks to people posting here with their cracks) and replaced it for free. The replacement had a new clear cable which within a year oxidized to a dark shade of green. So I paid for a new black replacement UE cable...which shorted out just after the year warranty was over. So this weekend I was going to switch back to my oxidized clear cable. When I pulled on my left earpiece, it broke beneath the connector, pulling out the wire from inside the IEM (which coincidentally was also green with oxidation). So they died.

I agonized for a bit, tried to live with the stock buds w/ mic that came with my iPhone, and after one day realized that was for the birds.

Hopefully I'll receive them tomorrow night and post here with my impressions.

I know your pain. I'm waiting on my UEs to be replaced under warranty and until then, have tried using my iPhone earbuds and decided after a day, that just wont happening. Now I'm using my Sennheiser PMX 80s, which are my running headphones but sound much more tolerable. I will admit, I don't feel quite right wearing my running headphones casually.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #1,960 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! The UM3X beat the Super Fi Pro like a red-headed stepchild.

Thanks, as if I needed anything else to fan the flames!
icon10.gif

Originally I was going to let Fedex try to deliver while I was at work and go pick it up from the nearby Fedex hub later that night. Now I'm considering taking a very long lunch break and waiting at home for the Fedex guy...

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #1,961 of 4,413
Anyone else having a problem with inserting these? I insert them in (shallowly at first) and the sound's either badly muffled or thin. I have to oh so carefully make sure that the tip is in PERFECT position to avoid this. And it takes me quite a number of tries.

Anyone else having this problem? I've tried both the large Klipsch gels as well as the small + large comply tips. Same result.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #1,962 of 4,413
My mid gray silicon tips work fantastic.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #1,964 of 4,413
While these probably fit 'most' people, there are exceptions. I suspect that your ear canal makes a quick turn from the opening. Have you considered cutting a few millimeters off the tip of your Complies? I would give that a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else having a problem with inserting these? I insert them in (shallowly at first) and the sound's either badly muffled or thin. I have to oh so carefully make sure that the tip is in PERFECT position to avoid this. And it takes me quite a number of tries.

Anyone else having this problem? I've tried both the large Klipsch gels as well as the small + large comply tips. Same result.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #1,965 of 4,413
yeah something must be up with your ears
wink.gif
takes such minimal effort to achieve good sound and isolation with mine, that I wouldnt even know how to describe the process its that automatic. sounds is far from thin IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back