Westone UM3x, 4, 1964, TF10 or Heir 3ai
Nov 14, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Scott2578

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking at getting a new set of iems for christmas. I have owned a set of Shure E3C, and had a set of B&W C5s. I took the C5s back. I have had the shures for a few years, and they sounded good for what they were.

I am looking for an IEM that will give me great details in the mids and highs, separation, dynamics, and lows to be tight, not muddy, needs more than the shures. I like to be able to hear the bass, doesnt need to be super loud, enough to be able to enjoy them. I do not want it to be real analytical where I cannot enjoy it or its too bright. I like some warmth.

I listen to alot of music like Nora Jones, Allison Krauss, etc..I like some country, r&b, rock, some hip hop.

I was looking at the Westone 4r, UM3x, 1964t, 1964q, TF10 or the Heir 3ai.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 15
If you like CIEM then 1964t would be the best choice. Personally, I would choose w4r, it meets most of your need. It is more easier to sell if you get bored. I have a w4 without the "r", I really love them.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 15
UM3X wont give you a lot of detail in mids. It is quite smooth and thick in the mids in my opinion. I haven't heard the rest.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm getting the 3.Ai on Monday so I'll have some impressions of them then.  The BA200 which sounds a lot like the UM3X is one you might want to look at also.  They have a warm sound that is so smooth with good detail along with good separation and imaging.  I really like the soundstage and while the bass isn't huge its more than other dual BA's I've heard.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 15
I listen to alot of dance music also. I heard the monster cable pro golds, I believe thats the model, they were around $250 at best buy. I like how much bass those had as far as loudness, and the b&w c5s gave enough bass to me, if anyone can compare the loudness of the bass to the w4.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 15
I had the W4s a while back. I ended up selling them as I found their sound too thin for my taste, and bass light. I currently have the Heir 4.ai, Earsonics SM3 and Shure SE535, which I feel cover the spectrum of my tastes pretty well. The 4.ai might be worth a look. They are fairly neutral, but have more tight bass impact than I remember the W4 as having. For bass heavy tracks, I like the SM3, and for female vocals I like the SE535. For ease of use and long term listenability, I would go with the SE535. They are a nice all rounder, but not analytical if that is what you are after.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 15
For what it's worth, I think the SE535's have more bass than the SE425s I owned before.  But check out the 4.ai.  Could be the ticket.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I listen to alot of dance music also. I heard the monster cable pro golds, I believe thats the model, they were around $250 at best buy. I like how much bass those had as far as loudness, and the b&w c5s gave enough bass to me, if anyone can compare the loudness of the bass to the w4.

Do NOT get the Shure if you listen to EDM. Horrific with house and trance. W3 is excellent for EDM.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 15
I am in between the w4 and Heir 4ai. Trying to choose. If I can get a set of the W4 from Inmotions some how, than it would be a no brainer, and I see earphonesolutions has a 25% coupon which brings the W4r down to around $350 and W4 around $337. If I was to go with the Heir 4ai, where is the best place to get them for the best price, even used would be fine.Its a christmas present from my parents and fiance, as they are splitting the cost to be able to get me a set.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 15
The 3.Ai will give you more bass impact and depth over the 4.Ai and that's why I decided to get thoughs over the 4.Ai.  The 3.Ai seems like it will be better for edm and other much that you want good bass with.  I'm not a basshead by any means and that's why IEM's like the BA200 work perfect for me because they have accurate bass that's not boosted or bloated but I wanted something to replace my TF10 that I sold and the 3.Ai seemed like a good fit and I'll know on Monday if they are.

The bottom pic that FullCircle posted it what the 3.Ai I'm getting look like, they really are great looking IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back