Westone UM2
Sep 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #46 of 128
Glad to hear that you like them lewislink! Especially because I just ordered a clear set of UM2s....
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #47 of 128
Heres the pictuer if you guys want it. Sorry i couldn't reduce picture size. my phone only comes in one picture size.
2vn2tl3.jpg

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #48 of 128
Well, lets not forget, these are only your opinions/perceptions/conclusions etc etc lewislink. But, on other side of coin, you've got and tried, pretty much, all of the other competition out there, and have reached this conclusion from all that comparative experience, so its an opinion I respect. All am saying is, taste and preference comes into it as does the compatability of a phone with ones ears and/or what that person percieves or detects from a phone and, that, therefore, your conclusions are not written in stone. All the same, its great that you've found 'your' phone and sound, and that you've had a nice, exciting, comprehensive journey in reaching that. I appreciate the detail of your accounts on this journey, and you sharing your opinions and findings, and your experimentaions and mods etc! Fantastic stuff!

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #49 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, lets not forget, these are only your opinions/perceptions/conclusions etc etc lewislink. But, on other side of coin, you've got and tried, pretty much, all of the other competition out there, and have reached this conclusion from all that comparative experience, so its an opinion I respect. All am saying is, taste and preference comes into it as does the compatability of a phone with ones ears and/or what that person percieves or detects from a phone and, that, therefore, your conclusions are not written in stone. All the same, its great that you've found 'your' phone and sound, and that you've had a nice, exciting, comprehensive journey in reaching that. I appreciate the detail of your accounts on this journey, and you sharing your opinions and findings, and your experimentaions and mods etc! Fantastic stuff!

I definitely agree with what you are saying. In the end, sound is a personal preference.

The way lewislink describes the UM2s, it's exactly what I am looking for!
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #50 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most assuredly, BloodSugar, most assuredly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #51 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most assuredly, BloodSugar, most assuredly.
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #52 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely agree with what you are saying. In the end, sound is a personal preference.

The way lewislink describes the UM2s, it's exactly what I am looking for!
beerchug.gif

Well I sincerly do hope you like them. Your first statement about personal preference is right on the money. When I was new to Head-fi last year I was looking for an IEM and saw large numbers of people saying how good the UM2 was. Possibly 18 months ago it was even more popular than now, perhaps because there was less competition from other manufacturers.

I remember excitely receiving them after placing my order and then being incredibly disappointed with them. I thought my cheap Sennheiser CX300s were far, far better for music. To me the UM2 sounded dull, muddy, boxy and honky with particularly poor resolution in even the lower treble regions, let alone the extreme highs. It reminded me of music on hold when I am on the telephone or what I imagine a cheap hearing aid might sound like. Bass, however, was extremely good.

I still use them, but mainly when working at my computer where good clarity at extremely low volumes and comfort are the desired attributes. They are very good for computer games and speech too - or anything that does not demand bandwidth above what you might get on a telephone.

Anyway, the lesson I learned out of my UM2 experience was to simply read other people's opinions for entertainment purposes only. And that is of course the way other people should read mine.

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #53 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember excitely receiving them after placing my order and then being incredibly disappointed with them. I thought my cheap Sennheiser CX300s were far, far better for music. To me the UM2 sounded dull, muddy, boxy and honky with particularly poor resolution in even the lower treble regions, let alone the extreme highs. It reminded me of music on hold when I am on the telephone or what I imagine a cheap hearing aid might sound like. Bass, however, was extremely good.

This is what I don't understand aobut the UM2s... Some people claim they have no treble extension while others love them and say they have great detail. Seems very strange.

I'm thinking about picking up the UM2s or Triple.Fi as an alternative to the SA6's I just received this week.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...ek-sa6-363269/

Sep 14, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #54 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I don't understand aobut the UM2s... Some people claim they have no treble extension while others love them and say they have great detail. Seems very strange.

Well I'm not sure I know of any headphone or IEM where there are not contradictory opinions here on head-fi. This seems to be regardless of design or price point. If there is a headphone or IEM around here that everybody likes and characterises in the same way, I certainly have not come across it yet! Perhaps there might be a few ultra-exclusive models around that would garner unanimous praise, but I would not even put my money on that, if only for the distinct possibility that only a small percentage of people would ever get to hear them to begin with.

Sep 14, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #55 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm not sure I know of any headphone or IEM where there are not contradictory opinions here on head-fi. This seems to be regardless of design or price point. If there is a headphone or IEM around here that everybody likes and characterises in the same way, I certainly have not come across it yet! Perhaps there might be a few ultra-exclusive models around that would garner unanimous praise, but I would not even put my money on that, if only for the distinct possibility that only a small percentage of people would ever get to hear them to begin with.

Yep, that's the trend. The idea is to get a sense of the general consensus for a phone, and if that appeals to you, try em out.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #57 of 128
I was one of those that really liked my UM2 while I had them, but after getting a few other phones, I couldn't get over the lifeless treble. Some say it is "smooth", which I agree with if it means lacking any sparkle.

I wouldn't get them again, but I also don't regret my purchase. These phones, like most others, are very dependent on the preferences of the individual wearing them.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #58 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking about picking up the UM2s or Triple.Fi as an alternative to the SA6's I just received this week.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...ek-sa6-363269/

This maybe the difference between human ears. Some say Product A lacks of bass or treble, others differ. It can be what the person is looking for actually. Please do try the UM2 out. I personally thinks that it lacks of treble .

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #59 of 128
Right, I'm almost certain I'm going to order a pair of UM2s. I've read lots of reviews and 95% of reviewers seem to love the Westones. I've just got one question, based on a negative comment that I saw ...

If you wear the UM2s over your ears, but with the cables meeting and running down your front, does the cable feel tight where it meets under your neck?

... or to put it another way, could someone tell me how long the cable is from one of the earpieces to the Y connection?

I read a review where a guy said he found the UM2 uncomfortable under the chin and had been told it's because he was wearing them wrong - the cable should run down his back. I personally prefer to wear IEMs over the ear, but then have the cable meet and run down my front.

Cheers for any answers to my question.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #60 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, I'm almost certain I'm going to order a pair of UM2s. I've read lots of reviews and 95% of reviewers seem to love the Westones. I've just got one question, based on a negative comment that I saw ...

If you wear the UM2s over your ears, but with the cables meeting and running down your front, does the cable feel tight where it meets under your neck?

... or to put it another way, could someone tell me how long the cable is from one of the earpieces to the Y connection?

I read a review where a guy said he found the UM2 uncomfortable under the chin and had been told it's because he was wearing them wrong - the cable should run down his back. I personally prefer to wear IEMs over the ear, but then have the cable meet and run down my front.

Cheers for any answers to my question.

They are like just about any other canalphone for cable length at the "Y" connection. They are plenty long enough and they have a cable straightener which I use as a cinch to tighten both sides of the earpiece part of the cable under my chin. They are way loose and flop around wildly unless I do cinch them up and I'm 6 foot, 220 pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back