Westone UM2. Worth $300?
Jan 11, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #31 of 59

Quote:
Another reason for the higher price is the UM-series are still made in the USA, unlike the W-series.

thats probably what im paying for.. and of course the replacable cables.

does anyone know if the UM2 Replacable cable comes with more eartips than the non-replaceable cable UM2? It seems so with the pictures on the website.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #32 of 59
This thread is depressing because there are actually people who are suggesting that the UM2's are worth $300 in 2011.  This isn't an ambiguous issue; if head-fiers can't come to a consensus about something as cut-and-dry as this, there's no point to having a forum for suggestions.  And yes, I've owned the UM2's. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #33 of 59

Quote:
This thread is depressing because there are actually people who are suggesting that the UM2's are worth $300 in 2011.  This isn't an ambiguous issue; if head-fiers can't come to a consensus about something as cut-and-dry as this, there's no point to having a forum for suggestions.  And yes, I've owned the UM2's. 

Thanks for your reply. But in 2011, whats worth $300? Please name a few, your input is appreciated. Thanks. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #34 of 59

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your reply. But in 2011, whats worth $300? Please name a few, your input is appreciated. Thanks. 

It looks like you've got some reading to do.  One thing I can say to help guide you is that IEM technology has changed a fair amount in the six or so years since I purchased my UM2's for around $300.  Would you buy a six year old laptop at it's original MSRP? 

In terms of particular recommendations, it really depends on your desired sound signature.  I'm just annoyed that anyone would suggest that the UM2 at $300 is a good value.  I would almost think it was an attempt to be deliberately misleading. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #35 of 59
I really think this is down to personal peferance.
A friend of mine own UM2 and love them so much that he stop seeking for any other IEM.
He said he think the vocal on UM2 is sweetest among other IEM.
I offer him to try others like re-0 se530 Um3x W3 etc. ,he still perfer the Um2 to all of those.
So I would say give them a try. Even this is 2011 those old IEM still didn't lose their magic.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #37 of 59

Quote:
Quote:
Another reason for the higher price is the UM-series are still made in the USA, unlike the W-series.

Where's the W-series made now?

Yeah it would be good to know. By the way for those who say the UM2 is not worth it because its really old, I cant stand the W2, completely lack of bass. Its like how i hate all etymotics. But still, thanks for all your replies.

Still, my question remains. whats worth $300 in 2011? thanks alot.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #38 of 59
This question can be interpreted as 1) Is the UM2 still a good IEM, and 2) Is it worth $300.

1) I'd say that the UM2 is still a very good IEM. There's a lot more choice and competition around now than when it first came out but I still think it stands up as a quality product. It's interesting that the newer UM3x still uses the same design and cable as the old UM2 ... it's difficult to improve on the ergonomics, fit, isolation, comfort and lack of cable microphonics found in the original.

2) I'll admit that $300 is a lot of money for a fairly old model. It's strange that the price hasn't changed much in the US over the past few years whereas in the UK you can get the UM2 for less than 3/4 of the 2008 price. Other posts in this thread suggest that the UM2 can be found new for $250 or purchased used for about $160.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #39 of 59
Can I just add a recommendation of the w2's, Ive been using them now for about 6 months and they just get better. They do seem bass light and clinical to begin with but with a headphone amp such as the E7 that adds warmth the sound really is amazing! Cant compare with UM2 havent heard them. The W2's have a flat response which means that you can play about with the sound quite alot without causing much distortion- add bass for instance. I think they have been designed to give an accurate sound so that you can either enjoy a good recording flat or equalize a bad one. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #40 of 59

Quote:
Can I just add a recommendation of the w2's, Ive been using them now for about 6 months and they just get better. They do seem bass light and clinical to begin with but with a headphone amp such as the E7 that adds warmth the sound really is amazing! Cant compare with UM2 havent heard them. The W2's have a flat response which means that you can play about with the sound quite alot without causing much distortion- add bass for instance. I think they have been designed to give an accurate sound so that you can either enjoy a good recording flat or equalize a bad one. 

W2 has too flat a response for me and too clinical, just like how you described. thanks for your comments on the W2.

Still, can someone suggest what's a good IEM for $300 in 2011? Other than all the super clinical earphones like the W2. I need something like the UM2 or warmer. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #41 of 59
I paid $300 for the UM2s 3 years ago and I loved them, until 7 months ago when the cable broke, then I bought the UM3Xs (with replaceable cable) for $280 and I thought they were quite similar sounding to the UM2s but with better details. About a month ago, the left channel of my UM3Xs just died and I've been using the UM2s again while waiting for the UM3Xs to be repaired. The first thing I noticed about the UM2s now is the lack of details comparing to the UM3Xs, and the UM2s are slightly more bass heavy. So for me, the UM2s don't worth $300 in 2010, unless it's the sound signature you like. For that price range, maybe you could try out the Shure SE 535, my personal favorite now are the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #42 of 59
another option that I can recommend would be the Sennheiser IE8's, if its warmth that you are after. They have a huge soundstage for an IEM and lots of bottom end which is adjustable on the earpeices, I still use mine every now and again because they are an exciting listen and can make most recordings sound good especially with rock music or dance. The only downfall with them is the lack of isolation, they're not much use on trains etc.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #43 of 59

Quote:
another option that I can recommend would be the Sennheiser IE8's, if its warmth that you are after. They have a huge soundstage for an IEM and lots of bottom end which is adjustable on the earpeices, I still use mine every now and again because they are an exciting listen and can make most recordings sound good especially with rock music or dance. The only downfall with them is the lack of isolation, they're not much use on trains etc.

You can get IE8 for $300?

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #45 of 59
You should be able to get them for $300 yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back