Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #2,581 of 3,037
Are the new UM Pro series still made in the US?
It seems the V2 box now mentions "Designed in Colorado", instead of "Designed & built in Colorado".
Can't see a reason for that change unless they switched production to some place else...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,582 of 3,037
It seems the V2 box now mentions "Designed in Colorado", instead of "Designed & built in Colorado".
Can't see a reason for that change unless they switched production to some place else...
I bought an original version UM Pro 50, and it was made in china. so it wouldn't surprise me if the new ones were not made in the US.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,583 of 3,037

Indeed, interesting observation, maybe @BKG22 can chime in with clarification? Though imho, bigger change here is not where it's being manufactured, but the fact they actually updated the design which looks to me more robust from the shell to the connector.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #2,584 of 3,037
Indeed, interesting observation, maybe @BKG22 can chime in with clarification? Though imho, bigger change here is not where it's being manufactured, but the fact they actually updated the design which looks to me more robust from the shell to the connector.

The new UM Pro line as well as all universal product are made in the Philippines. All custom products are made in Colorado Springs. This transition has progressed over the past 3 years at Westone where we have made products simultaneously in various locations in order to examine many aspects of the product. The primary driver for making the final decision was on quality. After reviewing returns and our defect reports we found that the Philippines was far and away more consistent with stronger product builds.

That being said, I would tell you that the new UM Series is the most reliable build we have ever produced and we are very excited for this product.

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #2,585 of 3,037
Hi guys,
I'm looking at the older model of a u series but can't tell which model it is (um 20, 30 or 50) and the guy selling doesn't know either. I'm looking online and can't see any discernable features between them. Does anyone know how to tell?

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #2,586 of 3,037
Hi guys,
I'm looking at the older model of a u series but can't tell which model it is (um 20, 30 or 50) and the guy selling doesn't know either. I'm looking online and can't see any discernable features between them. Does anyone know how to tell?

I guess that's one of the reasons they added color insert plate to new UM Pro v2 series, easy to figure out which model you have. Can you ask the guy to take close-up pictures from every side? Pro 10 will have one driver, Pro 20 two drivers, but could be a little tricky with 30 vs 50 since I think 50 has dual drivers in a housing, but also a larger bass driver. Still, even from a picture it will be hard to see.

Here is a sure way to confirm it. Ask him to look at the nozzle of the iem and get the S/N. Westone iems have serial numbers printed on the nozzle. Took me a little while, but I managed to snap a picture. This one has BL3218

westone_umpro50_old-01.jpg

Contact Westone and ask them to look up the model under that S/N.

Good luck!

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2,587 of 3,037
Well this thread has me excited about the v2 versions of the UM50 Pro...so I took the plunge and bought one. It should arrive tomorrow. I’ll be upgrading from a UM3X which I’ve been enjoying for maybe 6-7 years or so. I’m hoping the upgrade will be noticeable. I’ll post some unboxing pics and initial impressions tomorrow or the next day.

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,588 of 3,037
Well this thread has me excited about the v2 versions of the UM50 Pro...so I took the plunge and bought one. It should arrive tomorrow. I’ll be upgrading from a UM3X which I’ve been enjoying for maybe 6-7 years or so. I’m hoping the upgrade will be noticeable. I’ll post some unboxing pics and initial impressions tomorrow or the next day.

and after this upgrade, I think the next step is to upgrade your source, if you are still using iPod classic or iPhone 4 :wink: I think both of those are higher output impedance sources. Most of today's iEMs are designed/tuned for lower OI sources.

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,589 of 3,037
iPhone X so I think I’m covered :wink:

I upgrade my earphones much less often than my phones. Same with speakers vs AV equipment.

Mar 12, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,590 of 3,037
iPhone X so I think I’m covered :wink:

I upgrade my earphones much less often than my phones. Same with speakers vs AV equipment.

was going by your signature :wink:

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,591 of 3,037
was going by your signature :wink:
Oh wow, it's been years since I was active here so I didn't even realize that was a thing. I don't think I even own anything in there anymore!

Fixed! I do still own the DT880s but rarely use them so I kept them off. I also still own the V6 (replacement velour pads coming since the old ones are flaking). I also own Audio Technica ATH-50m but the headband vinyl is also flaking so I need to find a solution for that.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #2,592 of 3,037
Oh wow, it's been years since I was active here so I didn't even realize that was a thing. I don't think I even own anything in there anymore!

Fixed! I do still own the DT880s but rarely use them so I kept them off. I also still own the V6 (replacement velour pads coming since the old ones are flaking). I also own Audio Technica ATH-50m but the headband vinyl is also flaking so I need to find a solution for that.

Sounds like a lot of perfect excuses to switch to IEMs :wink: I'm sure UMPro50v2 will be a noticeable step up from your UM3x. Will look forward to you review. As I mentioned before, i wish there would be more reviews from the actual users in addition to write-ups from reviewers, such as myself, who do it on a regular basis.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #2,593 of 3,037
I’m happy to write it up (both initial impressions and then a few days/weeks later when I’ve lived it with for a while). But we also appreciate pro reviews as well. Trust me, I don’t need excuses to buy new headphones. It’s a disease.

I will says the Beyerdynamic velour pads have definitely changed the sound of the V6s after I installed them. There is a significant thickness difference between them and the stock V6 pads. I think I have to turn it up a little louder to get the same SPL but because the drivers are further from my ears, I think bass response has improved a little bit. I don’t know why. Just a guess. I can’t A/B it because the old pads are shot and I can’t put them back on.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2,594 of 3,037
I’m happy to write it up (both initial impressions and then a few days/weeks later when I’ve lived it with for a while). But we also appreciate pro reviews as well. Trust me, I don’t need excuses to buy new headphones. It’s a disease.

I will says the Beyerdynamic velour pads have definitely changed the sound of the V6s after I installed them. There is a significant thickness difference between them and the stock V6 pads. I think I have to turn it up a little louder to get the same SPL but because the drivers are further from my ears, I think bass response has improved a little bit. I don’t know why. Just a guess. I can’t A/B it because the old pads are shot and I can’t put them back on.

Oh, the Beyer and the pad rolling, been there! I modded T5p 2nd gen with mr speaker alpha pads (reviewed here), and it was better than a cable ugprade. Sorry, I'm getting off topic :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,595 of 3,037
They're here! I'll weigh in later with more detailed sound impressions and perhaps even a bit of an A/B with the UM3x
.IMG_9281.JPG

I will say I have the following initial impressions:
  • Love the smooth finish of the shell compared to the 3x. It was also smaller than I thought and sits flusher in my ears.
  • The fit (in terms of the tip) is different from my 3x. I used the green star tips exclusively on the 3x and found that those felt too "pushed in" for the 50v2. So I switched to the included black star tips which are about the same circumference as the green ones but slightly longer in length. Fit great but kind of a bummer since I had bought a ten pack of the green star tips thinking it would be the same fit as the 3x.
  • These take little less power from the iPhone for the same/similar volume. I have all my tracks MP3Gain'd to 89db so I know where the volume position is for my normal listening loudness on my 3X. I had to back it off one volume down press on my iPhone X to get to roughly the same comfortable listening volume (I care about hearing loss so I don't listen at overly loud volumes).
  • Cord is much more pliable and comfortable than the 3x.
  • It definitely passes the low-bass definition test tracks I usually submit new cans to: Sarah McLachlan's "I Love You", Glen Phillips "It Takes Time", most any track on Atoms For Peace :D
  • I was expecting a markedly wider soundstage based on reviews I'd read online but so far I'm not really getting that, but perhaps my ears still need to adjust to the new fit, or maybe the 3x were just good in that regard.
More to come later. Wearing it around the house while prepping lunch and working from home (yep, took the day off to make sure I secured delivery).

Minor update. Back to the green Star tips. My ears did adjust to the feel of the new shells and I kept losing a little seal when I moved with the Black tips so I’ve switched back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back