New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 19, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #496 of 1,956

Hi , T5P 2g isolation's very good !  , i use  on the go every day ( Train , Bus ......) i barely hear the other passegers sitting beside , in front , rear of me when they are speaking , i can hear noises of the train , bus when music stop , but i'm on gapless with my DAP , so it is not a problem .

Hi ph58,
can you describe difference in sound signature between amped T5P 2.gen and unamped? Which amplifier do you use with T5P?

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #497 of 1,956
  Hi ph58,
can you describe difference in sound signature between amped T5P 2.gen and unamped? Which amplifier do you use with T5P?

Hi , never use the T5P 2g unamped , so i can't tell you the difference . Amps i use with : Ibasso P5 Falcon , Chord Mojo (pairing with Fiio X7) , all the 2 have incredible sound quality , the P5 Falcon (line out with the X7) have more soundstage , warmer analogical sound , the Mojo( in coaxial connection with the X7) is very dynamic , more details,  but less sounstage ! . 2 different tastes !

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #498 of 1,956
I add a post number 495 (page 33) - there are my first impressions with T5P. I use it mostly on the go. Sometimes I feel a little more bass could reveal... So I asked for a proper amp...

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #499 of 1,956
[quote name="stehof" url="/t/791328/new-beyerdynamic-t5p-2nd- For short you have to have a good mood, no stress and no headache. Than you will have a lot of enjoying time with these! :)
10.) T5P has better punch to Momentums.
So that´s all for now :)
[/quote]

I couldnt agreed more.If you are tired,stressed,headache and so on,the t5p is better leaved in the box.lol. But in the right mood, they just sound amazing.But i think this is something that is with almost all headphones. If im not in the right mood,i leave the iems or headphones alone :) i love the oppo ha-2/t5p combo.Then you can use the bass boost for some genres /songs :D

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #500 of 1,956
There is a speciality with T5P which comes from the fact that it has angled drivers. The sound differs on where the headphones are situated. The sound signature is changing when you slice the phone on your head in back to front direction and also when you move the headband back to front (by changing the angle between earcups and the head). This was never an isue with the Momentums. A tax to pay for an excellent sound of the T5P´s. I tried to draw it. See below :)

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #501 of 1,956
Has anyone compared the Beyerdynamics t-5 to the t70p? I have the T90 and the T70p and I really like the T70p. It seems to be brighter sounding than the T90 with just a little less bass and sound stage. I found myself really enjoying the brightness of this headphone compared to anything else I have. Again, is there a big difference between the T-5p and the t70p? I am really discerning on getting the T5p or the T1. I really like the fact that I don't have to amp the t-5.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #502 of 1,956
  Has anyone compared the Beyerdynamics t-5 to the t70p? I have the T90 and the T70p and I really like the T70p. It seems to be brighter sounding than the T90 with just a little less bass and sound stage. I found myself really enjoying the brightness of this headphone compared to anything else I have. Again, is there a big difference between the T-5p and the t70p? I am really discerning on getting the T5p or the T1. I really like the fact that I don't have to amp the t-5.

I own both the T5p and T70p.
First it matters which T5p you're refering to. The 2nd generation T5p is different from the first.
The T70p is great for acoustic music, Jazz, Blues, Orchestral etc. But the attention the treble and nuetural bass causes them to fall short of the fun factor when listening to Electronic, New Age, Rock. They are comparable with first generation T5p in this way.

The 2nd generation T5p, however has a boosted lower mid range, and rolled off treble. And sound best with the more "Fun" music that I mentioned above. 

I really enjoy the T70p, I never sold it after I got my T5p because of the differences in sound suited for different genres. But if you really enjoy the T7p sound and wanna upgrade, I suggest looking at the first gen T5p first.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #503 of 1,956
Thank you so much for the report on the T-70 vs. T-5p first and second generation. I was really discerning getting the T-5 second generation. My music likes are many-but I  find myself listening to steely Dan, beetles, old 60 and 70's hits; classical music and Jazz and Big band. However, I could save a couple hundred on getting the first generation T-5 first gen. I am not very tec saavy- do you know how to connect a Teac HA-P50 portable amp to a Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 and to a Yamaha Receiver RX-V479? The Tec support is bad. Also, do you know if the Yamaha RX-V479 has enough ohms to power the T-90's without the amp? My old Yamaha was rated at 680 ohms at the phone jack. However, the new one has no specs on Ohms.  The T-90 sounds OK running off of the Yamaha-but I was discerning whether or not I need a amp. That's why I need to know if I can hook up the portable amp TEAC HA-P50 to my Yamaha; or will I have to buy another one. If so which one would you recommend? Thanks for you help and impute.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #504 of 1,956
  Thank you so much for the report on the T-70 vs. T-5p first and second generation. I was really discerning getting the T-5 second generation. My music likes are many-but I  find myself listening to steely Dan, beetles, old 60 and 70's hits; classical music and Jazz and Big band. However, I could save a couple hundred on getting the first generation T-5 first gen. I am not very tec saavy- do you know how to connect a Teac HA-P50 portable amp to a Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 and to a Yamaha Receiver RX-V479? The Tec support is bad. Also, do you know if the Yamaha RX-V479 has enough ohms to power the T-90's without the amp? My old Yamaha was rated at 680 ohms at the phone jack. However, the new one has no specs on Ohms.  The T-90 sounds OK running off of the Yamaha-but I was discerning whether or not I need a amp. That's why I need to know if I can hook up the portable amp TEAC HA-P50 to my Yamaha; or will I have to buy another one. If so which one would you recommend? Thanks for you help and impute.

Please can you stop saying power in Ohms... No amp measure's power in Ohm's as such.

There are different outputs at different impedances, like 400mW @ 32Ohms etc....

The Impedance rating on an amp means little usually, so it says it can power headphone from 32-300 Ohms doesn't mean it won't power 600 Ohm headphones.

Output impedance is important when looking at low impedance headphones like the T5p as it influences the damping factor.

You need to look at the power output like mW/V from the amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #505 of 1,956

Please can you stop saying power in Ohms... No amp measure's power in Ohm's as such.

There are different outputs at different impedances, like 400mW @ 32Ohms etc....

The Impedance rating on an amp means little usually, so it says it can power headphone from 32-300 Ohms doesn't mean it won't power 600 Ohm headphones.

Output impedance is important when looking at low impedance headphones like the T5p as it influences the damping factor.

You need to look at the power output like mW/V from the amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Headquarter says: amen.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #507 of 1,956
This is a mini-review of Mr Speakers “Alpha” genuine lamb leather replacement earpads used on Beyerdynamic T5p.2 (2nd gen) full size headphones. https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather.html . I would like to Thank Dan (@mrspeakers) for providing me with a pair of Alpha pads in exchange for my honest opinion.

Fine-tuning the sound of full size headphones is not as simple as dealing with in-ear monitors. With IEMs you can easily switch to another set of common eartips which affects the fit and the seal and can result in noticeable sound changes. You can also try the same with full size headphones, if they support replaceable earpads, but this replacement is not as trivial due to a wide variety of earcup sizes and shapes. Plus, eartips are dirt cheap and come in extra sets with most IEMs, while earpads are a lot harder to come by and not as easy to remove.

When I take a break from my IEM reviews and test full size headphones, I usually accept their earpads as is and only “mod” the cable if it’s replaceable. That’s exactly what I did while recently reviewing T5p.2 (reviewed HERE), and the only thing I could tinker with was the cable. The large round shape of Beyer earcups and a narrow thin earpads flap made it very hard to find the replacement. Of course this is purely my subjective opinion, but I think there is still a little room for improvement when it comes to T5p.2, especially for those who crave an even smoother and warmer sound.

After doing a little research I came to a conclusion that I won’t be able to find the exact replacement with a thin flap that goes into the edge of the earcup ring, and instead will have to settle for a replacement with a flap stretching over the ring.

This is how the original T5p.2 earpads look, on and off the earcup.

There was one replacement set of thicker earpads I found on ebay, and it actually had wide enough opening for the flap to go over the earcup ring, but the flap itself wasn’t as durable and sound improvement was down to minimum (cheap pleather with soft foam filling didn’t affect the sound). I also tried Zach’s (ZMF) replacement pads, high quality but their flap opening was too small. Last, but not least, Brandon (@PETEREK) recommended to try Mr Speakers Alpha pads, and that was IT!

Priced under $60, we are talking about genuine soft lamb leather with a memory foam. With exterior dimensions of 4.25” in length and 3.75” in width, these are oval rather than round, but it takes on a more rounded shape when you stretch them over the Beyer's earcups. The ear hole opening is 2.5” tall and 1.75” wide which fits my medium size ears without a pinch, and due to their angled design you get approximately 1.5” depth on the back and 0.75” on the front. Unlike original T5p/T5p.2 earpads with a completely open ear hole, Alpha pads have a stretchy fabric material which probably adds another subtle layer of filtering. The most important factor in here – the flap opening was wide enough to fit these earpads without too much struggle.

Original T5p.2 earpads next to Alpha replacement earpads.

The installation of these earpads is not as quick as switching IEM eartips, and it will require some patience as you stretch the flap over the ring of earcup, but it was a lot easier in comparison to other earpads I tried with T5p.2. Keep in mind, T5p.2 look will be transformed with these DIY angled thick earpads, and it will no longer look as slim and neat. But the whole point of this mod was not to improve the looks of these Beyer cans, but rather to see if I can update the sound. The flap didn’t obstruct the earcup cable port opening, nor did it obstruct the bass port opening, and it went under the plastic part of the hinge without interfering with it. Overall, I was pleased with installation.

Alpha pads on T5p.2.

After the earpads replacement, I noticed right away a stronger clamping force, obviously due to a thicker pads. By bending the headband a little outward, I was able to relax the arc of the headband which also reduced the clamping force, making it more comfortable. This is especially important because now you are dealing with real leather, and a tight fit will result in earpads getting hot. After adjusting the clamping force and making the fit more comfortable, I had them on for 2 hours and my ears never got hot or sweaty.

Sound Analysis.

The first thing I noticed right away is that Alpha leather pads do improve the isolation, not 100% dead silent because the bass port is still open, but thicker angled pads form a better seal around my ears. But keep in mind, even so the isolation was improved, the sound leakage was still there.

In terms of the sound, default stock pads give you a balanced, neutral, leaner, revealing sound. With Alpha earpads I found an improvement in sub-bass extension, thicker texture, and overall a little more quantity. I also hear some changes in mid-bass impact and more body in lower mids. Furthermore, the upper mids and lower treble are noticeably smoother. The sound is a little more organic, warmer, still revealing, airy, and detailed (on micro-detail level). The soundstage expansion wasn't affected as much, but I do hear some reduction in depth.

Conclusion.

Even so I enjoy the sound of T5p.2, I was still on a mission to see if I can improve it further, closer to my ideal smoother/warmer sound sig preference. Mr Speakers Alpha pads did the trick, and it's a very simple, cost effective, and easily reversible mod. In terms of the sound improvement, subjective to my personal taste, I'm very pleased with a change. In terms of the change to how T5p.2 looks with Alpha pads - it's definitely bulkier and more masculine, and not as sexy as with the original earpads. But in my opinion it's a small price to pay if this particular sound change is your cup of tea.

Next stop, earcups mod proposed by @PETEREK to minimize the sound leakage. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #508 of 1,956
  I am sorry I did not mean to offend you with ohms. I don't know the difference between any of this-if I did I would be asking for help on here. RIGHT!

I didn't mean to sound mean, I was just trying to help you understand a little about how amp power works etc... So you can learn like we all did and make better informed choices in the future. I hope you enjoyed the read about specifications and have a little more understanding, as I said, we all had to start somewhere.

Accept my apology if I came across harsh.

Enjoy the hobby :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #509 of 1,956
No apology needed! Thank you for your help on the ohms ratings and Headphones. I understand it a little better now; but apparently some of the sales people I talk to do not. They always refer to the ohms ratings on the headphones. I even wrote to Yamaha in reference to my RX-V479 to see if it was powerful enough to drive the T-90's. Their reply was if they are over a 100 ohms no! I have been using the Yamaha for the t-90 and they sound very good with lots of volume too. I think the headphone jack is rated for 470 ohms. Now, if I am using this wrong-its because everyone else is using this ohms thing as a reference too. Again, thank you for your kind response and your help. I am sorry I am not very educated in all this. I just love good sounding music.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back