New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 23, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #511 of 1,960
Sorry if this has previously been asked but does anyone know if the plug on the headphone end is a standard one or proprietary? I need to get a longer custom cable made.

They are 3.5 mm mini jacks. See the spec sheet at this link:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/DAT_T5p-2ndGeneration_EN_A2.pdf

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #514 of 1,960
Sorry if this has previously been asked but does anyone know if the plug on the headphone end is a standard one or proprietary? I need to get a longer custom cable made.

My understanding is that they are proprietary. I am ordering a short balanced cable to connect to my Onkyo and AK120II; the seller told me he is getting plugs directly from Beyer , I use this shop for cables.     

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #515 of 1,960

My understanding is that they are proprietary. I am ordering a short balanced cable to connect to my Onkyo and AK120II; the seller told me he is getting plugs directly from Beyer , I use this shop for cables.     

The only really proprietary element is the rubber o-ring that helps secure the plug but it's not really necessary.

Personally, I prefer the plugs not to be too firmly held so that they'll detach easily if the cable gets snagged.

It's good to know that Beyer can supply plugs though. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #517 of 1,960
  This is a mini-review of Mr Speakers “Alpha” genuine lamb leather replacement earpads used on Beyerdynamic T5p.2 (2nd gen) full size headphones.  https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather/ .  I would like to Thank Dan (@mrspeakers) for providing me with a pair of Alpha pads in exchange for my honest opinion.
  Sound Analysis.

The first thing I noticed right away is that Alpha leather pads do improve the isolation, not 100% dead silent because the bass port is still open, but thicker angled pads form a better seal around my ears.  But keep in mind, even so the isolation was improved, the sound leakage was still there.

In terms of the sound, default stock pads give you a balanced, neutral, leaner, revealing sound.  With Alpha earpads I found an improvement in sub-bass extension, thicker texture, and overall a little more quantity.  I also hear some changes in mid-bass impact and more body in lower mids.  Furthermore, the upper mids and lower treble are noticeably smoother.  The sound is a little more organic, warmer, still revealing, airy, and detailed (on micro-detail level).  The soundstage expansion wasn't affected as much, but I do hear some reduction in depth.

I had noticed on the original T5p that if I pressed the pads to my head and forced them to seal better, there was an improvement to the bass response. When I saw your post, I was immediately interested in trying it. Luckily, I happen to own a pair of the  Alpha Primes, but never thought the pads would fit the T5p.

I gave it a try and it makes a substantial improvement in the sub bass, there is a less dramatic but noticeable improvement in the mid bass, which in my opinion is the worst aspect of the T5p. The mids and highs are unaffected, which is a very good thing. Additionally, the sound leakage is definitely reduced.

I would want this to be a permanent mod to the T5p; unfortunately, the Alpha pads are out of stock on the MrSpeakers site. Hopefully, this is not a long term issue.

Thanks for posting this mod. This is really helpful.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #518 of 1,960
  I had noticed on the original T5p that if I pressed the pads to my head and forced them to seal better, there was an improvement to the bass response. When I saw your post, I was immediately interested in trying it. Luckily, I happen to own a pair of the  Alpha Primes, but never thought the pads would fit the T5p.

I gave it a try and it makes a substantial improvement in the sub bass, there is a less dramatic but noticeable improvement in the mid bass, which in my opinion is the worst aspect of the T5p. The mids and highs are unaffected, which is a very good thing. Additionally, the sound leakage is definitely reduced.

I would want this to be a permanent mod to the T5p; unfortunately, the Alpha pads are out of stock on the MrSpeakers site. Hopefully, this is not a long term issue.

Can't stop reading this site without more mods to do.  Take my money  . . . PLEASE!

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #519 of 1,960

I have a coworker who's got the original T5p, he had the cable broken and replaced the stock cable himself with a some occ cable. That substantially altered the sound: the bass came to live, the highs weren't sibilant any more. We did a quick side by side comparison, his original T5p and my T5p.2, and in some aspects I preferred his headphones. The T5p.2 still have more sub bass but what I liked about the original was having less mid bass which makes it sound clearer.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #520 of 1,960

I have a coworker who's got the original T5p, he had the cable broken and replaced the stock cable himself with a some occ cable. That substantially altered the sound: the bass came to live, the highs weren't sibilant any more. We did a quick side by side comparison, his original T5p and my T5p.2, and in some aspects I preferred his headphones. The T5p.2 still have more sub bass but what I liked about the original was having less mid bass which makes it sound clearer.

That's quite interesting. I'm talking to BTG-Audio about customizing the T5p to have 3.5 mm detachable cables. I have never put stock in cables' ability to alter sound signature, but I'll be keeping an eye out if something does change as a result.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #522 of 1,960
Mr Speakers Alpha pads are back in stock.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #525 of 1,960
Anyone tried the mojo with the t5p versus the ha-2? Im very happy with the ha-2/t5p combo,and love the bass boost button for some music.Just curious how the mojo works with the t5p :)

I`ve made myself an new playlist on tidal today.Cant wait for the little one to go to bed,so i can test it on the headphones :p   I really like the t5p.The soundstage is very big :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back