New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 13, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #481 of 1,961

110 is loud enough for me with most tracks, sometimes I crank up the volume to 125 with quieter recordings. I just asked my neighbour and he tells me he couldn't hear anything. We do have a bit of background noise though, it's an open office area. I've also been listening on the train and didn't get any irritated looks. I will ask my wife to put the headphones on tonight and will have a listen myself just to be sure. I'm getting pretty good seal with these so perhaps that also makes a difference.

I ordered silverguard s from Norne, Trevor told me first week of May, so few weeks from now.

BTW
I bought t5p from Thomann, they have 30 days return policy, so I only had the shipping cost to warry about in case I didn't like the sound

Good point. I've dealt with Thomann before and had good service but I didn't realise they had that 30 day option.

It's good reassurance as there's nothing like quality time in your own environment to properly evaluate kit.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #482 of 1,961
I too listen to music at work with these cans, always have my door open.  I usually have my volume a little over halfway on my iPhone.  I sent an e-mail to the cubicle dwellers outside my office to see if they could hear anything.  They could not hear a thing. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #483 of 1,961
  One thing I'm not thrilled about the T5P is the cable.  On the plus side, it's removable.  Are there any good compatible replacement cables out there, without breaking the bank?

TexasBuck mentioned this several pages back in this thread. I have the same question, but for a balanced cable.

Beyer is selling one for $150, 4 pin balanced. Would prefer one with a  balanced 2.5 mm TRSS plug as used on the Onkyo DP-X1 or the AK players balanced output.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #484 of 1,961
I just took a long-haul flight from Hong Kong to London in CX business class with the T5p.2, with Chord Mojo and iPad mini driving it. The experience is incredible. The headphones are so comfortable and much better tuned than the original T5p, that I consider this an end-game. I mean, with the airplane seats fully reclined into a bed, I could just fall asleep to the music. The T5p.2 are much more suitable to vocal music now that they sound more full bodied than before, and the glare in female vocals are gone. There are no disadvantages to the T5p.2 compared to the .1 that I'm aware of. All the upgrades in addition to the sonic ones, such as the removable cables and new ear pads, are all welcome. At 38,000 feet, this is as close to music heaven as you can probably get.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #485 of 1,961
I just took a long-haul flight from Hong Kong to London in CX business class with the T5p.2, with Chord Mojo and iPad mini driving it. The experience is incredible. The headphones are so comfortable and much better tuned than the original T5p, that I consider this an end-game. I mean, with the airplane seats fully reclined into a bed, I could just fall asleep to the music. The T5p.2 are much more suitable to vocal music now that they sound more full bodied than before, and the glare in female vocals are gone. There are no disadvantages to the T5p.2 compared to the .1 that I'm aware of. All the upgrades in addition to the sonic ones, such as the removable cables and new ear pads, are all welcome. At 38,000 feet, this is as close to music heaven as you can probably get.

Consider me envious. The redeye I took last night was nowhere near that pleasant. Although sonically, I fared well with SE846 and HA-2.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #487 of 1,961
  Has anyone tried these with Beyer's own velour pads?  Wonder how that changes the sound if at all, and also--how warm do they get with their stock pads?

I've only tried the stock pads.  The stock pads aren't big enough to completely encase my ears.  They sit more on top of them.  So I think this allows my ears to breath a bit, so I've never had issues with the pads feeling warm.  I only listen in 1-2 hour sessions though. 

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #488 of 1,961
Ahhh. I'm trying to see--I've no doubt they'll end up sealing around my ears.  Mine're not all that big.  I normally have listening sessions in the greater 6+ hour period, so curious to see how warm they do get for anyone who is as excessive as I.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #489 of 1,961
I have the T-70p! I am really pleased with them. I also have the T-90. More and more I am liking the T-70p. They sound really great too. I just may have to buy the T-5 second generation too. I was discerning whether to get them or the T-1. I really don't want to have to buy an amp to hook-up to my Yamaha receiver. The headphone jack only puts out 470 ohms; so I would have to buy an amp too to power the t-1's. The T-90 sounds great with the Yamaha. My old Yamaha receiver head jacks put out 680 ohms. I don't know  why Yamaha reduced power on their headphone jacks on their newer receivers. My new Yamaha receiver puts out just 470 ohms on head phone jack.    

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #490 of 1,961
  I have the T-70p! I am really pleased with them. I also have the T-90. More and more I am liking the T-70p. They sound really great too. I just may have to buy the T-5 second generation too. I was discerning whether to get them or the T-1. I really don't want to have to buy an amp to hook-up to my Yamaha receiver. The headphone jack only puts out 470 ohms; so I would have to buy an amp too to power the t-1's. The T-90 sounds great with the Yamaha. My old Yamaha receiver head jacks put out 680 ohms. I don't know  why Yamaha reduced power on their headphone jacks on their newer receivers. My new Yamaha receiver puts out just 470 ohms on head phone jack.    

With the headphones you have and are planning to get, you will need a dedicated headphone amplifier and a good DAC to get the most out of them. You didn't state what Yamaha receiver you're using, but I think you meant to state your output values in milliwatts and not Ohms.

If you can find the specifications for the headphone output of the Yamaha, check to see how many milliwatts it outputs for a specific impedance (e.g. 600 mW into 32 Ohms). You can then use this value to see how well the receiver can drive your headphones. Also keep in mind that there are two components of the headphone specification that will determine the power needs of the headphone: The impedance measured in Ohms and the sensitivity most often shown in dB/mW (e.g. 102 dB/mW). The lower the impedance and the higher the sensitivity value, the easier it is to drive the headphone.

Lastly, even a modest headphone-dedicated DAC and amp (e.g. Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 or ODAC/O2) will make a remarkable difference.

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #491 of 1,961
 I have a Yamaha RX-V479; will this receiver power the Beyerdynamics T-1 from the headphone jack only? My old Yamaha was rated at over 600 Ohms at the headphones jack. I think my new one is around 470. But I am not sure. Any help will be greatly be appreciated. I really don't want to amp it-so I would like to run the phones off the receiver only. I have ordered a portable amp for my Sony mwza17.  I would really like to know if this new Yamaha receiver will power drive the T-1 to its fullest potential. The T90 sound great being powered from the RX-V479; and my T-70p sound great from my NWZ-17 with no amp. I was discerning on getting the t-1 or the T-5p. Thanks for any help.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #492 of 1,961
Im not sure if im into this burn-in thing,but i must say,the t5p sounded really good today. I have had them playing almost continuously for almost an week now,and they sound marvelous :) But then again,it could just be my imagination/placebo effect
:)

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #493 of 1,961
I just received a TECH HA-P50 today! I figured out how to use it on my laptop, but could not get it to work on my Walkman NWZ-A17. I not very tec savvy.  I have a FIIOX 3 too. The FIIOX3 will actually drive the T-90 cans pretty well. The X3 is rated at 150 Ohms. I was told this portable amp would work on all of the above including the Yamaha RX-V479. I am not so sure now. I could not get tit to work on the sony.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #494 of 1,961
Yes I couldn't agree more, mostly I thing the burn-in idea is something the audio industry dreamed up to get retail customers past the 30-day warranty.  Having said that, I am continually amazed by the gradual but steady improvement in my system over the last 10-15 years.  Components have changed, to be sure, but also the components have all mellowed the sound.  My advice is, if you have found something good, stick with it -- and that applies to much ore than just audio! 

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #495 of 1,961
I have T5P 2nd gen for about a month. Using directly from Ibasso DX50. After about 40 hours of listening at home, in bus and subway (tube) I am satisfied. I used Beyer Momentum for 2 years before. I use the new ones mostly on the go, sometimes at home. Here are my first impressions:
1.) very well made, good materials, such as Momentums. The same package, only bigger,
2.) they are about 75% heavier and bigger to Momentums, so when I am walking it´s kind a shaking on my head (ears), It´s only an impression, the earspads are sitting on the place, but the gravitation works, so I have to improve the clamp force - specialy the upper half of the earcups. I am still not sure how, but I am convinced it will work for me. You know everybody has a different headshape,
3.) as I would say, the isolation is the same as Momentums - you can hear the environment a bit, but it is good for your orientation in different situations in town or in vehicle.
4.) Is there any sound leakage? I don´t know. Sometimes I´m hearing on moderate level, but still no one turned a head to me, no one cares, even if the bus is crowded for example.
5.) On the street, in bus or anywhere no one cares what I am wearing on my head. A lot of people in town are listening to music by headphones (smaller though).
6.) T5P is more comfortable on the head to Momentums. The earpads lay around ears, in case of Momentums partly on the ears.
7.) Momentums (first gen.) are to bassy for me, I had to set equalizer -1 to -2 decib and +1 for heights. On the other hand T5P has everything on its place. Incredible heights (Momentums plays height a bit down, in traffic OK but on calm places it´s just not good. The T5P has very nice and tight bass, but it is fading away sometimes in traffic and than the music seems to be unbalanced. The drums specially get sometimes anoying. I am still getting used to the sound of T5P.
8.) The details and the soundstage is incomparable to Momentums. The Momentums are something far far away from T5P. T5P excels!
9.) I found specially the sound of the guitars (I hear mostly rock and metal) so nice! Specially the sound of the Red special (Brian May, e.g. song "Back chat") or Strat of Jimi Hendrix is soooo incredible (album "Electric ladyland")! The whole album "Themes" by Silent stream of godless elegy is fantastic! It excels on high quality recording, but low quality is still OK. Momentums has no sparkling, tha bass blurs to mids, the sound is more compact but not fun. T5P are more challenging for listening - I don´t know how to describe it correctly. For short you have to have a good mood, no stress and no headache. Than you will have a lot of enjoying time with these! :)
10.) T5P has better punch to Momentums.
So that´s all for now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back