Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jan 5, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #2,551 of 3,037
I've been eagerly waiting for my pro 50 v2 to ship from earphonrsolutions but nothing has changed since ordering on Tuesday. Did anyone else order this week? Are they on holiday?

Earphonesolutions are in Florida. Did you see the snow storm that hit us here along the East Coast line? :wink: I think Florida got snow as well, so I would assume delays due to a bad weather. Did you contact Flavio?

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #2,552 of 3,037
Someone asked me for a picture of Pro 10/20/30/50 next to each other for comparison, so I figured to share it with everybody. These are New UM Pro series (v2) iems, color coded according to orange (UM Pro 10), blue (UM Pro 20), green (UM Pro 30), gray (UM Pro 50):

westone_umpro_v2-34.jpg

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #2,554 of 3,037
I certainly noticed a difference between the Pro 30 and W30. Pro's being more intimate louder and airy, with better bass, while the W30's have a wider soundstage and are more uniform sounding.

My W60's are starting to sound redundant though, I prefer listening with the new Um Pro's.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #2,556 of 3,037
Got the new 30 today.
Nice improvement in design and quality. And yes, sound more balanced and highs have more extension I think. Good job Westone!
For sure they can not compete in speed with single BA Etymotic and Ortofon but they are not the slowest ones.
I’m also waiting for the reference S-EM6 v2, will be interesting to compare.

Снимок.JPG

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #2,557 of 3,037
Earphonesolutions are in Florida. Did you see the snow storm that hit us here along the East Coast line? :wink: I think Florida got snow as well, so I would assume delays due to a bad weather. Did you contact Flavio?

I wasn't aware of the east coast storm. I will wait a few more days then I will try to get in contact with Flavio thanks!

Just found out from customer service that they sold out really fast during the sale and are waiting for more to arrive in stock

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #2,558 of 3,037
Hi, I'm new to the forum but my experience with westone started with um2 12 years ago. Loved the comfort and sound signature. upgraded to the um3x a few years ago and eagerly waiting for my um pro 50 which should be delivered next week. Thanks for sharing the Oct35 coupon code, it saved me quite a bit :)

I was reading this thread and noticed some users having some issues with the female mmcx connector on the pro 50 v1. Does anyone else have this similar issue with the v2? The build quality is supposedly improved.

I also bought the westone Bluetooth cable but the loose mmcx connector issue might put me off from frequently switching between the default cable and Bluetooth cable. Any advise on this?

Eagerly awaiting my pro 50 :)

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,559 of 3,037
Hi, I'm new to the forum but my experience with westone started with um2 12 years ago. Loved the comfort and sound signature. upgraded to the um3x a few years ago and eagerly waiting for my um pro 50 which should be delivered next week. Thanks for sharing the Oct35 coupon code, it saved me quite a bit :)

I was reading this thread and noticed some users having some issues with the female mmcx connector on the pro 50 v1. Does anyone else have this similar issue with the v2? The build quality is supposedly improved.

I also bought the westone Bluetooth cable but the loose mmcx connector issue might put me off from frequently switching between the default cable and Bluetooth cable. Any advise on this?

Eagerly awaiting my pro 50 :)

Since you are getting UM Pro 50 v2 and BT Cable, you shouldn't have issues with mmcx connector. The connector has been redesigned in v2 series of UM Pro models, and BT cable also uses that new connector. As a matter of fact, W80, ES80, AM Pro series, UM Pro v2 series, and BT cable all use that new connector. While I was taken pictures of all the latest Pro 10/20/30/50 for the upcoming review, I probably went through at least a dozen of connects and disconnects of the cable, quite a stress test. All the connectors still feel snappy and tight, and it's noticeable especially when you try to rotate the cable around the iem connector (doesn't spin freely).

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #2,560 of 3,037
Since you are getting UM Pro 50 v2 and BT Cable, you shouldn't have issues with mmcx connector. The connector has been redesigned in v2 series of UM Pro models, and BT cable also uses that new connector. As a matter of fact, W80, ES80, AM Pro series, UM Pro v2 series, and BT cable all use that new connector. While I was taken pictures of all the latest Pro 10/20/30/50 for the upcoming review, I probably went through at least a dozen of connects and disconnects of the cable, quite a stress test. All the connectors still feel snappy and tight, and it's noticeable especially when you try to rotate the cable around the iem connector (doesn't spin freely).

Thanks, Twister6 for your reassuring comments. I will post my personal review and opinions of the build and sound quality once I receive them next week. Cheers!

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #2,561 of 3,037
As promised, HERE is my review of NEW UM Pro 10, 20, 30, and 50

westone_umpro_v2-01.jpg

Since I have all 4 combined in one review, I will probably create a separate thread later to post it on Head-fi.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #2,562 of 3,037
Nice review as always!

Finally I could not keep the new pro 30 (on sale now), not possible to combine them with Etymotic ER4 - absolutely different tonality approach.
Westone should be a perfect choice for musicians on stage I think.
I use the ER3SE on the go instead today.
Re multidriver IEM, I took the s-em6 v2 which is close to Ety tonality wise.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,564 of 3,037
Btw, not sure if people noticed an Easter egg when looking at all 4 boxes side-by-side?

westone_umpro_v2-38.jpg

That squiggly double waveform is continuous throughout all 4 boxes :wink:

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,565 of 3,037
Hello everybody,
I've been reading the forum as a guest for a while and decided to register today :)

I was the happy owner of a pair of W60 for 3 years, but I sadly lost my IEMs while traveling (in the airport or in the plain itself), so I looked a little bit around what my options were as I can't afford another pair of W60 for the moment :frowning2:
Reading all the different threads, and seeing the amazing 35% discount on all westone products on that website, I decided to give the UM PRO 50 a try.
Ordered them Friday and received them (in Switzerland) yesterday, wow thas was quick delivery !
As I had westone IEMs for the past years, there is no real surprise for me, I know the cabling, I know which tips I use etc. Only bad surprise is that the cable has a false contact :frowning2: That's a little bit embarassing for a brand new product in that price range :frowning2:
I am currently discussing with earphonesolutions, hopefully they will quickly arrange me with a new cable...

Regarding the IEMs themselves, I'm not yet sure whether I love them or hate them...
Only thing I can say is that they sound extremely different from my W60 ! (I am careful because I also got a new iPhone in the meantime, lost the jack 3.5 and am now using the apple lightning to jack adapter, which has its own DAC embedded, so that most probably also affects the sound)

My impressions so far after a couple of hours listening is that the UM PRO 50 sounds much more direct, a little bit as if you compare Studio monitors to HiFi speakers. The sound is more focused and hits you in the face (I guess you could translate that statement in "narrower soundstage")
And the bass ! Wow ! I am mostly listening to Electronic music and honestly, it is almost too much ! The kicks and sub basslines have such an impact ! I almost find it too agressive.
I've been used to much softer and aired sound with the W60. It will probably take me some more time before my brain gets used to it and forgets the W60 signature (I hope !)
I will also try to install Tidal on a spare iPhone 6 so I can see if there is any difference induced buy the lightning port adapter.

That's it for now, I'll wwait for your answers and come back in a few hours of listening to let you know my thoughts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back