Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Apr 12, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,611 of 3,037
Gotten my UM PRO50 v2 recently! Loving it so far...
Have been using UM3X RC for 7 years already and it still sounds good till today.

Have been using it with Shure's Olive foam tip. However, noticed that the newer Western True-fit foam tips were much better than past westone/comply foam tips which my UM3X came with..it also seem to fit my ear better than the Shure's olive..

Any UM series user knows of other brand/model that sound similar/near to these? Prefer slight treble roll off. Would love to get a few more IEMs for different purposes...

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,612 of 3,037
Gotten my UM PRO50 v2 recently! Loving it so far...
Have been using UM3X RC for 7 years already and it still sounds good till today.

Have been using it with Shure's Olive foam tip. However, noticed that the newer Western True-fit foam tips were much better than past westone/comply foam tips which my UM3X came with..it also seem to fit my ear better than the Shure's olive..

Any UM series user knows of other brand/model that sound similar/near to these? Prefer slight treble roll off. Would love to get a few more IEMs for different purposes...

Can't comment on UM3x foam tips, since it was before my time of review journey lol!!!, but so far I haven't found any difference between foam/silicone Westone own eartips used in W-series, UM Pro series, and AM Pro series. Also, if you noticed, they don't just offer a different diameter, but also a different eartip depth. So, you have more variations to find the right fit for the best seal. I think shure olive foam tip have a different density and the inner plastic core is not as stretchable.

Regarding another iem recommendation, not sure you can get the exact sound, but you can try more budget oriented simgot en700 pro, see if you like it.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,613 of 3,037
Can't comment on UM3x foam tips, since it was before my time of review journey lol!!!, but so far I haven't found any difference between foam/silicone Westone own eartips used in W-series, UM Pro series, and AM Pro series. Also, if you noticed, they don't just offer a different diameter, but also a different eartip depth. So, you have more variations to find the right fit for the best seal. I think shure olive foam tip have a different density and the inner plastic core is not as stretchable.

Regarding another iem recommendation, not sure you can get the exact sound, but you can try more budget oriented simgot en700 pro, see if you like it.

If i recall the um3x used to be bundled with the comply p series foam (and shorter ones).

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #2,614 of 3,037
Thanks for the reviews recently on the Pro 50, been a big help. Some of my UM3X drivers have just failed so ive been considering what to replace it with. Since I am so used to the sound signature after 5-6 years of use I figured I'd go with UM pro, cant decide on 30 or 50.

dvdonly and others, do you find the 50's still have that low end punch of the um3x. I listen to allsorts but rock and metal are my main taste, so Im used to drums punching my eardrums a little from the UM3X and the mids were always great for me. The 50s are a bit expensive, and as has been said opreviously the 30's go some way against the 50's but you save a whole wad of cash.

Leaning towards the 30's, Ill keep reading up on this thread for reviews but I am hoping the 30's will basically be the same as the UM3X was?

Mike

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #2,616 of 3,037
Ive gone with the 30's based on reviews. I figured they would be the best bet considering I am coming from UM3X

I can't say for sure since I never heard UM3x, but I think it would be a safe bet UM3x will sound closer to Pro 30 vs Pro 50. I don't listen to rock/metal, but I know that people usually comment about the guitar crunch in those genres, and for that you do need a lift in treble which Pro 50 provides over Pro 30 (you can check my sound analysis of all new Pro 10/20/30/50 here). But if you were happy with UM3x and how it played rock/metal, than I think you will be fine with Pro 30, considering you are looking for a replacement rather than an upgrade.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,617 of 3,037
I can't say for sure since I never heard UM3x, but I think it would be a safe bet UM3x will sound closer to Pro 30 vs Pro 50. I don't listen to rock/metal, but I know that people usually comment about the guitar crunch in those genres, and for that you do need a lift in treble which Pro 50 provides over Pro 30 (you can check my sound analysis of all new Pro 10/20/30/50 here). But if you were happy with UM3x and how it played rock/metal, than I think you will be fine with Pro 30, considering you are looking for a replacement rather than an upgrade.

Thanks twister, I was reading your blog actually and I think mainly from what you said about the 30 itll be the right one.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,618 of 3,037
Initial impressions after a few hours are exactly what twister wrote really. As I had UM3X-rc before these are very close to what I wanted from IEM's (a replacement for the UM3X). I think the UM3X sound stage may have been a little wider. UM Pro 30 stage is pretty close which is something I like. Low end punch from drums is still strong and doesn't muddy up the rest of a track, but not quite what I remember from the UM3X. Rest of the mids/highs are a general improvement over the UM3X but I wouldnt upgrade from a working pair of UM3X's if they were completely fine since theres not a lot of difference. From twister's reviews I dont think the Pro 50's would have been right but I came very close to pulling the trigger on a set.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #2,619 of 3,037
Initial impressions after a few hours are exactly what twister wrote really. As I had UM3X-rc before these are very close to what I wanted from IEM's (a replacement for the UM3X). I think the UM3X sound stage may have been a little wider. UM Pro 30 stage is pretty close which is something I like. Low end punch from drums is still strong and doesn't muddy up the rest of a track, but not quite what I remember from the UM3X. Rest of the mids/highs are a general improvement over the UM3X but I wouldnt upgrade from a working pair of UM3X's if they were completely fine since theres not a lot of difference. From twister's reviews I dont think the Pro 50's would have been right but I came very close to pulling the trigger on a set.

To be honest, a replacement is A LOT harder to find because anything 6-7 years later will be on a level of an upgrade. I'm not familiar with the original UM3X-rc, but if you found UM Pro 30 v2 to be on par, you got yourself a true replacement with a more robust updated design :) Let it play for a few days, see if you notice any changes :wink:

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,621 of 3,037
Finally got my pair of Westone UM30 Pro Gen 2! :D

40872455865_4c724b2762_c.jpg

As a former UM3X user, I was surprised that Westone managed to make the shells somehow smaller than the UM3X! (Thankfully, the package came with an assortment of Westone silicone and foam Star Tips; given that my left inner ear has weird bends, I settled with the red foam tips for the left earpiece and a regular foam tip for the right earpiece).

IIRC, the UM3X's major weakness (despite being an excellent pair of stage monitors) is that the treble was quite pushed back (you had to intently listen to the mix to hear them; they don't come out as effortlessly as other triple BA IEMs during its heyday). The UM30 Pro Gen 2, IMHO, fixes this without significantly altering the sound signature that made UM3X a favorite among those who want a laid-back/smooth sound that allows for hours of fatigue-free listening. Also, I noticed that the MMCX connection has a bit of friction when you rotate the connectors. I hope this stays the same and problems that were persistent with the gen. 1 are now put to rest.

IMHO, beyond properly-tuned 3BA IEMs, the rule of diminishing returns start to kick hard. What I missed the most about the UM3X (which the UM30 Pro Gen 2 still dishes out in spades) is that it makes you pause before making any IEM purchases that cost significantly higher. Yes, those multi-BA IEMs certainly improve on the UM3X (UM30 Pro) sound but it'd cost you a pretty penny to achieve those improvements. Are they worth it? It ultimately depends on the one making the purchase. But for someone who's on a tight budget but still wants great sound without breaking the piggy bank, the UM30 Pro gives you that option. :)

May 2, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #2,622 of 3,037
Got my um pro 50 v2

Really good, i even compared them to the mr speakers aeon flux open back. Different but very good. I think the biggest thing i like about my 50's is instrument separation. I do think they are tilted towards the harmon curve buts that ok. I like it.

Sound stage? Very neutral. I think some of my other iems sound kinda fake. Like too wide. Think akg 701.

I so far just amazed by them.

Just a note i have very hard time fitting universal iems. My right ear is the problem. I think it smaller? but with the 50's the smaller tubes and stock tips work very well..

musicguy

May 2, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,623 of 3,037
Got my um pro 50 v2

Really good, i even compared them to the mr speakers aeon flux open back. Different but very good. I think the biggest thing i like about my 50's is instrument separation. I do think they are tilted towards the harmon curve buts that ok. I like it.

Sound stage? Very neutral. I think some of my other iems sound kinda fake. Like too wide. Think akg 701.

I so far just amazed by them.

Just a note i have very hard time fitting universal iems. My right ear is the problem. I think it smaller? but with the 50's the smaller tubes and stock tips work very well..

musicguy

If you have issues with universal fit iems and feel like one ear earcanal opening is smaller than the other one, better use Westone foam tips. You will get a better comfort and seal with your UM Pro 50 v2..

UM soundstage is not as wide as W-series, but I find UMPro 50 to be the widest among UM Pro models. Interesting that you brought up Harmon Curve, since indeed, all Westone iems are tuned more toward a natural musical tonality.

May 8, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #2,625 of 3,037
Hi can someone suggest me a good upgrade balanced cable for my UM PRO 50 now I am using with LINUM BAX 3.5
By the way I am super happy with it but I want to try balance out with my upcoming Hiby r6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back