Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Nov 5, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,461 of 3,037
I've been running a pair of UM Pro 50s for a number of years now. I recently went into hyperResearch mode figuring I needed to upgrade, but after comparing with my new favorite full sized (Mr. Speakers Aeon Flux Open), the UM Pro 50s hold up quite well. I suppose I prefer a bit of a warmer signature and try to avoid sibilance when possible - these deliver. I can't really rationalizer spending $1K+ on something else that I will only think sounds better because it is new and expensive :L3000:

That's a blessing and a curse of Head-fi. You get comfortable with what you have, and then start reading about something new, and that itch starts again... That's why the official greeting here is "welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet" :D

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #2,462 of 3,037
Heh

Used my barely fortnight old um1's again at work today, this time with comply p. Much better seal and therefore isolation. Led me wondering what the pro 50's were like! Considering I bought the um1's to act as back up (needed better isolation hence the westones) whilst my ciems were getting a refit, I didn't think it was a good idea for my wallet to find out!

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,463 of 3,037
Heh

Used my barely fortnight old um1's again at work today, this time with comply p. Much better seal and therefore isolation. Led me wondering what the pro 50's were like! Considering I bought the um1's to act as back up (needed better isolation hence the westones) whilst my ciems were getting a refit, I didn't think it was a good idea for my wallet to find out!

Maybe you can listen to UM Pro 50 at Hifiheadphones, @Oscar-HiFi, looks like they have it listed in stock?

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,466 of 3,037
So I tried out the W10, W20, W30, W40, W60, and UM Pro 20 (v1). The W20 sounded better than the 10 but after that I couldn't hear a difference until I went all the way up to the 60. I asked the guy at the headphones store if the UM Pros are supposed to just be more neutral/balanced/flat and he said that's exactly right. So I tried the UM Pro and couldn't hear a difference. So I was considering the W20 because of the MFi cable and smaller earphone design but then I saw that the UM Pros were redesigned to be smaller, more durable, and look nicer. So now I am considering the UM Pro 20. I asked Westone and they said they're not going to redesign the W series (but who knows), and also that the W series are supposed to be used to listen to recorded audio (implying that the UM Pro are supposed to be used for live music performance) which makes sense for how they market the two different series but I have no idea what that means for sound besides the aformentioned accuracy vs more V-shaped tuning, which I couldn't notice with a quick A/B sample anyway. What do you all think of this? Also, I noticed no one has posted pictures/video of the new design. Has no one bought them yet? I'd like to know how the size compares to the W10/20 (as the 30+ increase in size).

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,467 of 3,037
So I tried out the W10, W20, W30, W40, W60, and UM Pro 20 (v1). The W20 sounded better than the 10 but after that I couldn't hear a difference until I went all the way up to the 60. I asked the guy at the headphones store if the UM Pros are supposed to just be more neutral/balanced/flat and he said that's exactly right. So I tried the UM Pro and couldn't hear a difference. So I was considering the W20 because of the MFi cable and smaller earphone design but then I saw that the UM Pros were redesigned to be smaller, more durable, and look nicer. So now I am considering the UM Pro 20. I asked Westone and they said they're not going to redesign the W series (but who knows), and also that the W series are supposed to be used to listen to recorded audio (implying that the UM Pro are supposed to be used for live music performance) which makes sense for how they market the two different series but I have no idea what that means for sound besides the aformentioned accuracy vs more V-shaped tuning, which I couldn't notice with a quick A/B sample anyway. What do you all think of this? Also, I noticed no one has posted pictures/video of the new design. Has no one bought them yet? I'd like to know how the size compares to the W10/20 (as the 30+ increase in size).

I recently got, for review purpose, new versions of UM Pro 20/30/50 and waiting to receive 10 (apparently, that one sold out constantly). So, I will share pictures and overall sound impressions since i'm not familiar with UM Pro 10/20. Original Pro 30 is on-loan to a family member (they don't want to part with it lol!!!!), and I still have original Pro 50 which I'm going to compare in sound to a new Pro 50 (should be the same). But certainly, will post pictures next week. Catching up with a few more reviews, don't want to get distracted :)

Regarding W-series vs UM Pro series, that's true. W is more for audiophile and general consumer listening, while Um Pro is designed for performing stage musicians. One noticeable difference is the soundstage, W is wider, spreading the sound/instruments across, while Um Pro has a narrower soundstage because musician performing on stage needs a better sound focus, I don't have W10/20/30 to compare to UMPro10/20/30, but I suspect differences in sound as well. Also, not sure if people noticed, Um Pro comes with Epci cable that has pre-shaped earhook (again, more secure fit for performing musicians), while W-series Epic cable doesn't have it.

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #2,468 of 3,037
I will share pictures and overall sound impressions since i'm not familiar with UM Pro 10/20.
Thanks a ton.
Um Pro comes with Epci cable that has pre-shaped earhook (again, more secure fit for performing musicians), while W-series Epic cable doesn't have it.
Really? All the images I see show the same thing and both products are listed as having the EPIC cable.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,469 of 3,037
Thanks a ton.

Really? All the images I see show the same thing and both products are listed as having the EPIC cable.

Can't tell yet about the new version until I unbox it, but with the original UM Pro series and W-series (W10-W60) - they all have Epic twisted cable, but W-series doesn't have pre-shaped flex earhook, just a straight twisted cable:

7523161.jpg

while UM Pro has pre-shaped flex earhook (a heat-shrink pre-shaped piece of tube) which makes them fit more secure without wire dangling

6793553.jpg

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2,470 of 3,037
Can't tell yet about the new version until I unbox it, but with the original UM Pro series and W-series (W10-W60) - they all have Epic twisted cable, but W-series doesn't have pre-shaped flex earhook, just a straight twisted cable while UM Pro has pre-shaped flex earhook (a heat-shrink pre-shaped piece of tube) which makes them fit more secure without wire dangling
Maybe they changed it at some point? You can see the pre-shaped earhook in images on Amazon and every one I tried had it.

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,471 of 3,037
Maybe they changed it at some point? You can see the pre-shaped earhook in images on Amazon and every one I tried had it.

With W series? Gotta check it out, maybe they did change it.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,472 of 3,037
I recently got, for review purpose, new versions of UM Pro 20/30/50 and waiting to receive 10 (apparently, that one sold out constantly). So, I will share pictures and overall sound impressions since i'm not familiar with UM Pro 10/20. Original Pro 30 is on-loan to a family member (they don't want to part with it lol!!!!), and I still have original Pro 50 which I'm going to compare in sound to a new Pro 50 (should be the same). But certainly, will post pictures next week. Catching up with a few more reviews, don't want to get distracted :)

Regarding W-series vs UM Pro series, that's true. W is more for audiophile and general consumer listening, while Um Pro is designed for performing stage musicians. One noticeable difference is the soundstage, W is wider, spreading the sound/instruments across, while Um Pro has a narrower soundstage because musician performing on stage needs a better sound focus, I don't have W10/20/30 to compare to UMPro10/20/30, but I suspect differences in sound as well. Also, not sure if people noticed, Um Pro comes with Epci cable that has pre-shaped earhook (again, more secure fit for performing musicians), while W-series Epic cable doesn't have it.

How does the build quality feels in the new UM Pro series?

Westone UM3x is an earphone that i used for 3 years and i still miss its peculiar signature. But since i faced a plethora of issues with my Pro 50s i was holding back till a redesign rolled out and now it has...

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,473 of 3,037
Dear fellow Head-Fi'ers,

This morning I received these beauties in the mail. I saw that there was a need for some pictures of the pre-shaped flex earhooks (new version) so here they are.
20171124_110114.jpg

It's been a long time since I posted anything on the forum, but since my W4R finally gave up after six long years of abuse (RIP) I decided to jump into the UM Pro series and see what all the fuss is about :p.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #2,474 of 3,037
Hopefully I will get a chance to audition them in a near future, but based on what I heard from Westone, the changes are:

1) Improved looks/aesthetics and build quality
2) More ergonomic shape with a more comfortable fit
3) More refined sound sig due to optimization of sound path
4) MMCX AUDIO(TM) connection
5) Improved monitor vault (pressure relief valve reintroduced and build quality improved)

I'm quoting myself here :wink: One thing to make a theoretical statement about "refined" sound, and the other thing - to get a chance to hear it yourself! Will have a short write up about NEW vs OLD UM Pro 50, but let me tell you, besides an improved ergonomics, the sound refinemend in this particalur comparison is quite noticeable (confirmed in my measurements as well), and I'm impressed!

westone_umpro50_new-10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back