Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 8, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #2,431 of 3,037
i really like the um pro 30 sound. exactly what im looking for signature wise. besides the um pro 50 are there any other direct upgrades I should be on the lookout for?

Your wallet not gonna like my answer, but W80 :wink:

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2,432 of 3,037
i really like the um pro 30 sound. exactly what im looking for signature wise. besides the um pro 50 are there any other direct upgrades I should be on the lookout for?

I just listened to their whole line today at RMAF, and my favorite was the UM Pro50 or the W80. I didnt buy them, but for the price the ES50 seem like a great IEM if you like bass.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,434 of 3,037

This is totally off thread but recently I came into possession of a Klipsch X11. The sound quality was absolutely stunning! It has the intimacy of the pro 30 series but damn the details are off the charts. I'm picking up nuances in songs that I've never heard before (coming from a FI-BA-SS user). Rather under-rated IEMs and their isolation/comfort is way above what the Westone form factor can offer my ears. Heard that the Klipsch X20i (current TOTL of Klipsch) is an upgrade to the X11 and most users have positive experience with it.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,435 of 3,037
This is totally off thread but recently I came into possession of a Klipsch X11. The sound quality was absolutely stunning! It has the intimacy of the pro 30 series but damn the details are off the charts. I'm picking up nuances in songs that I've never heard before (coming from a FI-BA-SS user). Rather under-rated IEMs and their isolation/comfort is way above what the Westone form factor can offer my ears. Heard that the Klipsch X20i (current TOTL of Klipsch) is an upgrade to the X11 and most users have positive experience with it.

The only problem, their X-series, similar to Ety's, needs a deep insertion into your ear canal for the best comfort and isolation. They are definitely more revealing, different driver tuning signature, but the fit comfort could be polarizing (purely depending on your ear canal anatomy). You are lucky they fit you well!

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,436 of 3,037
The only problem, their X-series, similar to Ety's, needs a deep insertion into your ear canal for the best comfort and isolation. They are definitely more revealing, different driver tuning signature, but the fit comfort could be polarizing (purely depending on your ear canal anatomy). You are lucky they fit you well!

Stupid thing for me was that the cheaper s2 (about £15-20) fit me much better than the x10 I got later on when it got reduced by a big margin!

Anyway back on topic, mighty tempted to check out the um1 that's been released if only for the isolation!

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,437 of 3,037
It seems that all iems in the UM series got revised. Even though I have sent an email to Westone, I couldn't get a clear answer as to what the differences were between v1 and v2. The shells have changed and are clear now, judging from the photos. Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the old and new versions?

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,438 of 3,037
Got the westone um1 in the post yesterday. Needed something smaller and with good isolation. Ironically I think the um1 shells are almost too small and struggle to get a good seal, at least with the star tips included! The large orange one works, but pushes out of my ear after a while, and the sizes down from that don't work! Right ear fairs a little better with both blue and red working well. Just tried the foam ones and the red and blue work better on my left ear. Was just wondering if comply p tips may work better for me, or the shure olives perhaps.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,439 of 3,037
Got the westone um1 in the post yesterday. Needed something smaller and with good isolation. Ironically I think the um1 shells are almost too small and struggle to get a good seal, at least with the star tips included! The large orange one works, but pushes out of my ear after a while, and the sizes down from that don't work! Right ear fairs a little better with both blue and red working well. Just tried the foam ones and the red and blue work better on my left ear. Was just wondering if comply p tips may work better for me, or the shure olives perhaps.

Uh, me and you are in the same boat, mate. I use only large tips to get a better seal, and in case of orange tips - they push the shells a little out. Get Shure olive silicone large tips - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EASFX1-10L. I have them on all of my Westone iems. It's the same nozzle diameter, the same isolation level, and they are a little shorter. Trust me, those will be it for your comfort and the best fit. Here you can buy them in a pack of 5pairs for about $15 from sweetwater, though not sure where you can get it in UK, but google the model number.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,440 of 3,037
It seems that all iems in the UM series got revised. Even though I have sent an email to Westone, I couldn't get a clear answer as to what the differences were between v1 and v2. The shells have changed and are clear now, judging from the photos. Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the old and new versions?

Hopefully I will get a chance to audition them in a near future, but based on what I heard from Westone, the changes are:

1) Improved looks/aesthetics and build quality
2) More ergonomic shape with a more comfortable fit
3) More refined sound sig due to optimization of sound path
4) MMCX AUDIO(TM) connection
5) Improved monitor vault (pressure relief valve reintroduced and build quality improved)

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,441 of 3,037
Hopefully I will get a chance to audition them in a near future, but based on what I heard from Westone, the changes are:

1) Improved looks/aesthetics and build quality
2) More ergonomic shape with a more comfortable fit
3) More refined sound sig due to optimization of sound path
4) MMCX AUDIO(TM) connection
5) Improved monitor vault (pressure relief valve reintroduced and build quality improved)

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to reading your impressions on the revised versions.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,442 of 3,037
Uh, me and you are in the same boat, mate. I use only large tips to get a better seal, and in case of orange tips - they push the shells a little out. Get Shure olive silicone large tips - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EASFX1-10L. I have them on all of my Westone iems. It's the same nozzle diameter, the same isolation level, and they are a little shorter. Trust me, those will be it for your comfort and the best fit. Here you can buy them in a pack of 5pairs for about $15 from sweetwater, though not sure where you can get it in UK, but google the model number.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back