Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 23, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,446 of 3,037
Tried the westones out at work today. When they sealed isolation was good and sound for a single ba was excellent. The caveat there though was "when". As usual had the normal issues getting a good consistent seal. Looks like I'll have to give those shure tips a shot. A while back I asked my audiologist about my ears. The (polite) response was "well they are normal size, but you have all sorts of interesting angles going on". Which figures :p

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,448 of 3,037
So I can get the 1st gen UM Pro 10 for $99 versus the 2nd gen for $149. Do you think it's worth it for the 33% discount? Or is the revised version worth the money?

In theory they should sound the same, and you get 2yr warranty, and even "new" 1st gen UM series has some improvements after Westone addressed their early production issues.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,449 of 3,037
Got the westone um1 in the post yesterday. Needed something smaller and with good isolation. Ironically I think the um1 shells are almost too small and struggle to get a good seal, at least with the star tips included! The large orange one works, but pushes out of my ear after a while, and the sizes down from that don't work! Right ear fairs a little better with both blue and red working well. Just tried the foam ones and the red and blue work better on my left ear. Was just wondering if comply p tips may work better for me, or the shure olives perhaps.
I’m using comply isolation or comfort series for my um 10 and it fits perfectly well. I have the same problem with you as the um 10 form factor being too small, that it doesn’t stay in my ears literally for more than 1 second. I’m fine with the stock stat tips for um 30 though.

It looks the new um 1 has very similar form factor as um 10 (not the latest generation) so comply may work for them too. If you like silicon tips then spinfit also provide great fit for um 10. Actually I stoped using spinfit simply because they seal too well for me, and my ears are very sensitive to pressures, that I felt uncomfortable as I put on the earphone and the pressure starts building inside, but on the other hand it suggests how great the seal it provides.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #2,451 of 3,037
LOL @ Westone and the laughable way they handle repairs. I recently received a pair of UM Pro 30s and discovered a slight (not immediately obvious) flaw in the left earpiece (confirmed by comparing to a dealer's demo pair, and by listening to a mono track and alternating the channel).

I email westone, and this is what they respond with:

Unfortunately there is not a repair service available as we do not have the parts to do so.
Below is a link to our online dealers for any new product purchases you may want to make
in the future.
https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/authorized-etailers

Bear in mind this is a current model headphone as of a few weeks ago (if you even count the very recent cosmetic redesign). I wasn't requesting warranty service (as these are quite old and definitely not under warranty), I was just asking if it was possible to repair. So basically buyer beware, once your 2 year warranty is past, they are basically disposable if any issues arise in the eyes of Westone. It's laughable that a company won't stock repair parts for a current model – just tell me you will not do out of warranty service/repair, and I wouldn't have been that annoyed.

Guess I'm off to B&H to buy a new pair? Maybe some other brand.

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,452 of 3,037
LOL @ Westone and the laughable way they handle repairs. I recently received a pair of UM Pro 30s and discovered a slight (not immediately obvious) flaw in the left earpiece (confirmed by comparing to a dealer's demo pair, and by listening to a mono track and alternating the channel).

I email westone, and this is what they respond with:

Unfortunately there is not a repair service available as we do not have the parts to do so.
Below is a link to our online dealers for any new product purchases you may want to make
in the future.
https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/authorized-etailers

Bear in mind this is a current model headphone as of a few weeks ago (if you even count the very recent cosmetic redesign). I wasn't requesting warranty service (as these are quite old and definitely not under warranty), I was just asking if it was possible to repair. So basically buyer beware, once your 2 year warranty is past, they are basically disposable if any issues arise in the eyes of Westone. It's laughable that a company won't stock repair parts for a current model – just tell me you will not do out of warranty service/repair, and I wouldn't have been that annoyed.

Guess I'm off to B&H to buy a new pair? Maybe some other brand.

Hang on a sec. You recently received a pair of UM Pro 30, but you are warning people of what to come when 2 year warranty expires? If you just received a new pair of UM Pro 30 iems and something is wrong with them, why not service it under warranty?

Regarding repairs, I never heard of either Shure, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, AKG, Audio-Technica, UE, JH, or any other big name established brand to repair any of their iems or full size headphones after the warranty expires. It's not about storing repair parts, of course they have to in order to repair IEMs under warranty if you purchase it from an authorized dealer and you are the original owner with a proof of purchase. That's how it works with many other manufacturers, unfortunately.

Something just doesn't add up here. Did you buy your Um Pro 3 used or from some unauthorized seller? Or maybe you had it for over 2 years and warranty is out? Also, can you give more details about what problem you found with your pair? Maybe we can figure out DIY solution :wink:

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #2,453 of 3,037
Hang on a sec. You recently received a pair of UM Pro 30, but you are warning people of what to come when 2 year warranty expires? If you just received a new pair of UM Pro 30 iems and something is wrong with them, why not service it under warranty?

Regarding repairs, I never heard of either Shure, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, AKG, Audio-Technica, UE, JH, or any other big name established brand to repair any of their iems or full size headphones after the warranty expires. It's not about storing repair parts, of course they have to in order to repair IEMs under warranty if you purchase it from an authorized dealer and you are the original owner with a proof of purchase. That's how it works with many other manufacturers, unfortunately.

Something just doesn't add up here. Did you buy your Um Pro 3 used or from some unauthorized seller? Or maybe you had it for over 2 years and warranty is out? Also, can you give more details about what problem you found with your pair? Maybe we can figure out DIY solution :wink:

He stated at the end they are out of warranty, and asked about having an out of warranty repair estimate.... Still not sure what to say though, Shure will give you a slight discount off a new pair I believe if you have a pair that goes faulty out of warranty.

Beyerdynamic offer out of warranty repair for a cost too

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,454 of 3,037
He stated at the end they are out of warranty, and asked about having an out of warranty repair estimate.... Still not sure what to say though, Shure will give you a slight discount off a new pair I believe if you have a pair that goes faulty out of warranty.

Beyerdynamic offer out of warranty repair for a cost too

Exactly. I requested an out of warranty repair, and instead of simply saying "we will not service our products out of warranty", or "our products are not service-able", or offering any other paid alternative to a repair, they simply sent me a link to buy a new pair at retail. Like I said, oh well.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,455 of 3,037
Exactly. I requested an out of warranty repair, and instead of simply saying "we will not service our products out of warranty", or "our products are not service-able", or offering any other paid alternative to a repair, they simply sent me a link to buy a new pair at retail. Like I said, oh well.

Are you in US? By any chance, did you buy it from Earphonesolutions? I heard from a number of people, that place treats their returned customers with discounts on new purchases. I know bud, it doesn't help your problem, but maybe something to consider. Also, Oscar above, HiFiHeadphones in UK are an authorized Westone dealer, and maybe they can help you.

Btw, sorry if I was in a rush reading your post, multistasking with work, reviews, and attending my kids Halloween parade this morning lol!!! Still, curous what issue you had with Um Pro 30 and maybe it could be fixed DIY?

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,456 of 3,037
Amp3 have 15% all westone models until the end of the month (not including clearence deals). Enter westone15 at checkout to get the discount.

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,457 of 3,037
Amp3 have 15% all westone models until the end of the month (not including clearence deals). Enter westone15 at checkout to get the discount.

The link? And you mean, not just prev gen Um Pro but all of their models?

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #2,458 of 3,037
The link? And you mean, not just prev gen Um Pro but all of their models?

Sorry, advancedmp3players in the uk. No link, just add code westone15 at checkout to qualify. All westone models (even w80) except clearence ones.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,459 of 3,037
Sorry, advancedmp3players in the uk. No link, just add code westone15 at checkout to qualify. All westone models (even w80) except clearence ones.

Sounds like a good deal for EU buyers! Here in US, earphonesolutions is known to run specials periodically as well.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,460 of 3,037
I've been running a pair of UM Pro 50s for a number of years now. I recently went into hyperResearch mode figuring I needed to upgrade, but after comparing with my new favorite full sized (Mr. Speakers Aeon Flux Open), the UM Pro 50s hold up quite well. I suppose I prefer a bit of a warmer signature and try to avoid sibilance when possible - these deliver. I can't really rationalizer spending $1K+ on something else that I will only think sounds better because it is new and expensive :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back