Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Sep 22, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #2,416 of 3,037
Well...I tried to unsubscribe, but it didn't work, so I guess I'm stuck here. :D

Sorry, it was me. I contacted admins and asked them to disable that HF forum option for you :p

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,417 of 3,037
So I was in the gym yesterday and noticed this girl just staring me down. I went about my business, but 15 minutes later...there she was again! I decided to go ask what her deal was and she said:

"You know, I've seen you here a lot, but usually wearing those silly, lame, boring smoke colored IEM's. Now that I see you have all black IEM's that sparkle @ the high end, I think we should be workout buddies."

Later on, she and I went to the park to compare Spotify vs Apple Music quality. We used the Britney Spears greatest hits album. Also, we had arbys.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,418 of 3,037
So I was in the gym yesterday and noticed this girl just staring me down. I went about my business, but 15 minutes later...there she was again! I decided to go ask what her deal was and she said:

"You know, I've seen you here a lot, but usually wearing those silly, lame, boring smoke colored IEM's. Now that I see you have all black IEM's that sparkle @ the high end, I think we should be workout buddies."

Later on, she and I went to the park to compare Spotify vs Apple Music quality. We used the Britney Spears greatest hits album. Also, we had arbys.

:) Congratulations. You've met the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Was she still there when you woke up after hitting your head?

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,419 of 3,037

Was that a wet dream about you switching from Um Pro to some fancy ES60 or ES80 custom shell design? :wink:

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,420 of 3,037

Can you post pic?

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,421 of 3,037
One of the Westone reps saw my :frowning2: about missing sparkle/treble and a "too close for comfort" sound stage and offered to swap me with a pair of W40's. They're absolutely a better fit for my needs. I need space and sparkle!!!

Well...I tried to unsubscribe, but it didn't work, so I guess I'm stuck here. :D

Good to know you are stuck to where you wanted to duck away. Congratulations on your w40 swapped. That is very cool of them. I want to swap my pro30 and pro50 for a w60.

Was that a wet dream about you switching from Um Pro to some fancy ES60 or ES80 custom shell design? :wink:

Haha. That is pretty funny.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #2,422 of 3,037
Can you post pic?

I'm sure it was one of these three...probably the one with the nice cans.

manic_pixie_dream_girls.jpg

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/15/im_sorry_for_coining_the_phrase_manic_pixie_dream_girl/

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,424 of 3,037
The one with the nice cans is my favorite.

That's a mother of Luke and Leia you are talking about, show some respect to Darth Vader's wife :D

Ok, back on topic lol!!! Westone iems rock :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,427 of 3,037
Hello!

Seeing how this thread has been mainly focused on the um pro 30 & 50, I've decided to shed some light on the UM pro 10's. I feel that this capable pair of IEMs have gone severely unnoticed despite their stellar performance. Anyway do forgive me, I'm rather inexperienced as I rarely post (more of a lurker actually) and rather bad with the jargon in this aspect. My main aim is to help those deciding on the budget-fi level. (Many random tips along the way!)

A little about my preference : I tend to value comfort (as do many) over the rest. Even if tonality is right, I'll rid of the IEM almost immediately if it causes the slightest discomfort. I would say I prefer a neutral signature but recently I find myself more versatile, enjoying both bright and warmth. Below are the IEMs I've tried, some of which I owned for extended periods.

Owned:
Shure SE215 LTD
Westone W4R
Inear Stagediver SD3
Final Audio FI-BA-SS
Westone W40
Westone UM pro 10

Tried briefly:
JH Layla II
Westone UM pro 30 & 50
Westone W60
Shure SE846
Shure SE535
Westone UM1 (updated)

Comfort
The IEMs listed under owned are in chronological sequence, with the SE215 being the first IEM I've owned and the UM pro 10 my current daily driver. For those contemplating between the SE215 and UM pro 10, I'd recommend the pro 10 in a heartbeat. Starting off with the fit and comfort, the SE215 has a much larger and tubbier shell compared to the UM pro's small factor, making it less favorable to my small ears. Of course this is subjective and those with larger ears may prefer the shures instead. But hell, the pro 10's are really small and comfortable. If my memory holds true, they are the smallest in the UM Pro series - which makes sense as they have the least number of drivers. Another thing to note is the mmcx connector. Aforementioned by many earlier in this thread, the mmcx connector of the westones are rather different, and they do swivel much less than the Shures which were truly a pain when putting on.

Sound
This is the hardest part for me actually, by no means am I an audiophile - merely a casual listener.
The UM pro 10 reminded my much of the FIBASS, again understandable because they are both single drivers but there is almost a thousand dollar difference between them.

Lows: Many reviews indicate that the UM pro 10's are bass light which made me hesitant to purchase it at the start as I do appreciate bass. The key is to getting a proper seal with the westones. Once this is attained, the bass on the UM pro 10s become punchy with excellent rumble and deep extension. Bass is much more controlled and attack is fast whereas rather bloated on the SE215s.
(Tracks: Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger, Holly Cole - Train Song)
Mids: Vocals are raw, crisp, clear and slightly forward - not as forward compared to SE215's but much more organic/natural sounding imo. I wouldn't say they are extremely analytical but details are definitely there.
(Tracks: Jasmine Thompson - La La La, Hey There Delilah)
Highs: The UM pro 10's are sweet and polite, with the highs being smooth and non-sibilant, compared to the FIBASS with harsher highs (FIBASS was tuned to be raw and revealing). Both are very airy contributing to wide sound-staging. In The Turtles - Happy Together, the beginning sequence of instruments from right to left to center can be placed with great accuracy.

Additional stuff:

Eartips
I can't emphasize enough, getting the right tip is important - to attain the proper seal allows you to listen to what the manufacturer intended for you hear. For me foamies never felt right, whereas silicon Star tips (blue) provided the best sound quality but the Shure silicon single flanges provided the best comfort + sound balance. Had a great experience with tip rolling, from spiral dots to spinfits to sony hybrids with my FIBASS and it has certainly shown me benefits of choosing the right tips. Seriously, spend more money on buying a variety of eartips!

Cables
Yes, controversial. Have been a non-believer myself. My first aftermarket cable was the Fiio RC-WT1 iirc, bought for my westone W4R. I can testify, microphonics are off the charts! Horrible grinding noises while on the go.. Anyway, I recently saw a 20 AWG 6 Core braided SPC cable going so cheap that I decided to pull the trigger again. Wow, didn't expect I'd say this but there IS a noticeable difference in sound quality - A little brighter sparkle in highs and a deeper lows; overall a fuller presentation. I would like to say it is some kind of placebo or expectation bias but comparing it to fiio cable's improvement is almost like day and night. I don't mean to influence anyone here but if you have extra money to dish out on a cable, buy a THICK one. Else save that cash. I'm convinced that a thicker cable will bring more merits compared to the material of the cable (SPC, OCC, OFC, pure copper, pure silver, hybrid etc.). My theory is that either the change in impedance from the cable affects the sound signature, or the weight of the thick cable over the ears simply provide better propagation of sound into your ears - much like how your phone's loudspeaker will sound louder when on a table surface and hollow when holding it in your hands. Either way follow the golden rule: don't buy a cable more expensive than the IEMs itself!

Amp/Dacs
There's a particular Amp/Dac that isn't that mainstream here. If you've heard of the brand, Creative, try out the Creative SoundBlasterAxx 200. It is a portable speaker on its own but features its own processing chip instead with various smart features. One of which is the SBX mode - try it!

To end this off, I'd like to do a little ranking of my top three.

SQ:
W60 > FIBASS > W4R

Comfort:
UM Pro 10 >> W4R > FIBASS

Value:
UM Pro 10 >>> Others

Cheers! :)

Few posts back I said I was done with Westone but then I saw a deal on the Um Pro 10 which I couldn't resist. I must say I agree with you on your UM Pro 10 assessment. They are very good IEMs for the price. I also have the Shure SE215 but I prefer the Westone sound sig and COMFORT. Shure cable is a total disaster due to it's thickness. Anyway, I love the UMPro30s over any of my current Westone IEMs but these 10's are pretty darn good.

Thanks for your review or not because now I am poorer :ksc75smile:.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back