Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Nov 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #826 of 3,037
Searched for relevant terms ("nozzle", "bore", 'diameter") in this thread, but nothing definitive turned out letting me know what I believe is referred to as 'nozzle diameter' for the UM PRO 50's. Would some one mind cluing me in as to what size this should be and/or what tips are compatible with this particular iem? The nozzle looks much smaller than any tips I've ever seen, so wanna make sure I'm not wasting money/time buying the wrong ones. I see ebay has things like this that fit with other Westone models; would they also work with UMPRO 50's? (thanks in advance for any help)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medium-Triple-Flange-Ear-Buds-Tips-Cushions-for-Westone-In-Ear-Earphones-Black-/201007677764?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2eccfdc144

I measured my w30 with a pair of calipers, it's about 2.5mm on the outside.

I see, never tried the TG334, only the MH334.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #830 of 3,037
Am I wrong or umpro 30 are even better with live recording?? It's like they were able to better separate instrument and to give a clearer and less dark sound but with great bass.

UM Pro30 definitely sounds better than UM3X.

Am I wrong or umpro 30 are even better with live recording?? It's like they were able to better separate instrument and to give a clearer and less dark sound but with great bass.

UM Pro30 definitely sounds better than UM3X.

What do you mean exactly? That they are better than UM3X with live music?

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #831 of 3,037

Westone didn't have any model, to my knowledge, at that time with removable cables - it wasn't until after the release of the W4 and UM3X (both released with fixed cables only) the following year that Westone added that upgrade on those two models.

Westone also released a a removable cable version  for UM2 too back then

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #832 of 3,037
I'm interesting in buying one of the UM Pro's but not sure which one. Won't be using them much, maybe twice a week max. Just listening to my music, mostly pop/rock/metal when I'm on the go, classical while walking around is too much work. 

Looking for one with the most balanced sound, not too much bass. The one with the best mids/highs. I'm currently most interested in the UM Pro 30 but the $400 is a bit much for how little I will be using them. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #833 of 3,037
  I'm interesting in buying one of the UM Pro's but not sure which one. Won't be using them much, maybe twice a week max. Just listening to my music, mostly pop/rock/metal when I'm on the go, classical while walking around is too much work. 

Looking for one with the most balanced sound, not too much bass. The one with the best mids/highs. I'm currently most interested in the UM Pro 30 but the $400 is a bit much for how little I will be using them. 

UMPro30s rock, you won't regret it.  They are a bit dark and I won't call it bass heavy as much as thick.  

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #835 of 3,037
I think the Pro 30 have the most balanced sound in general, just a little dark as mentioned by Smurfs2010, but still the best value for money to me. The UE900s have better clarity but lack bass for around the same price.

Quote:

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #836 of 3,037
Curious how UM pro 30 compares with w30. It has been on other threads that w30 is the only IEM that not only has cosmetic revamp but also a change in sound signature out of current Westone line and UM line. If the sibilant treble and overpowering bass of W3 has been fixed in W30, it could be a sweet spot parallel to 30 pro. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #837 of 3,037
Not a direct answer to my question in my previous post 836 but Spyro's post is still insightful. So W30 seems to be the sweet spot in Westone products incl. UM series.

"Really,   if you don't want to break the bank you cannot go wrong with W30.  It is honestly a combination of W3, UM3X and W4/40 all in one.  There's no better way to describe it.

Bass:            Great control like UM3X but also abundant like W3.  No mid bass hump....very linear.
Midrange:     Closest to W4 but a hair less lush.  Vocals are great.  Not recessed like W3 and not to forward like UM3X.  
Treble:          As good or better than W3.  Perhaps it's best trait.  Exceptional clarity with zero harshness for a $350 IEM.
Soundstage: Great separation.  Fairly large stage but not as distant like what W3 does.  Just about the way you want it.

It can also handle high volume with ease.  Sometimes with W4 I felt like I was really pushing it....or that the W4 just didn't like high volume.  Most all Westone IEM's to high volume very well.

In every IEM in my sound sig, W60 and JH16 would be the only 2 IEM's I would trade straight up with.  But I would have to get a different cable for W60 as I want it brighter like W30 does it."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729130/w3-versus-w30-exciting-news/30

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #839 of 3,037
Well, whether is was burn-in or my ears/head becoming less messed up, my UM Pro 50's appeared to have evened out. It really did take about 3 weeks for burn-in if that's what fixed it. I am liking the sound now. I guess I won't return it anymore. If there is a problem later, I can take advantage of the warranty. I should be back in the USA next year.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #840 of 3,037
One can totally get used to a particular pair of headphone's sound signature, no matter how bad or good they sound, that's why I always keep something as reference, like my Genelec monitors or the UM3/Pro 50. I'm sure one would even find the Beats Solo great to listen to after using them for over half a year. The brain is very good at altering the perception of sound and vision for optimization, like how we don't actually see tungsten light as yellow but daylight film will capture it as yellowish.

Quote:
  Well, whether is was burn-in or my ears/head becoming less messed up, my UM Pro 50's appeared to have evened out. It really did take about 3 weeks for burn-in if that's what fixed it. I am liking the sound now. I guess I won't return it anymore. If there is a problem later, I can take advantage of the warranty. I should be back in the USA next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back