Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #856 of 3,037
I think that stands true to all top of the line products; cables, headphones, IEMs, amps, ,DAPs, speakers; maybe not to you, but I'm sure they are worth it for most other people. A lot of ppl I know didn't think my UM3x were any better than the Apple earbuds either. :wink:

Well I did a side by side comparison with the W60 and found very little difference between the two .From what I recall during the demo section, the W60 had slightly better bass response plus more detail but only really noticeable during critical listening. Absolutely no reason for me to dish out 1k when my my $150 UM3x gets me 95% there. Build quality wise, the W60s feels very cheap.The connectors are very loose and just pop with little effort.  

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #859 of 3,037
  I think the soundstage and treble are vastly superior on W60 but that's just the way I hear it.

Probably but I personally don't like having a large sound stage when it comes to iems, sounds artificial. That what headphone are for. I like iems that sound upfront and intimate, like a true stage monitor.  

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #860 of 3,037
[COLOR=222222]Probably [/COLOR]but I personally don't like having a large sound stage when it comes to iems, sounds artificial. That what headphone are for. I like iems that sound upfront and intimate, like a true stage monitor.  

However large the soundstage of an iem is, it will not come close to that of an open headphone. That is a given physical limitation.

The soundstage of the Westone w60 is by no means artificial nor unrealistically large. It is large and real enough that you don't feel suffocated.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #861 of 3,037
It'll depend on the type of music. Would be strange if a symphony orchestra sounds like it's coming from a pair of stage monitors. I don't think the W60 soundstage sounds artificial at all, just more open compared to the UM3x's.

[COLOR=222222]Probably [/COLOR]but I personally don't like having a large sound stage when it comes to iems, sounds artificial. That what headphone are for. I like iems that sound upfront and intimate, like a true stage monitor.  

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #862 of 3,037
  Well I did a side by side comparison with the W60 and found very little difference between the two .From what I recall during the demo section, the W60 had slightly better bass response plus more detail but only really noticeable during critical listening. Absolutely no reason for me to dish out 1k when my my $150 UM3x gets me 95% there. Build quality wise, the W60s feels very cheap.The connectors are very loose and just pop with little effort.  

As much as i like the um3x, you've got to be kidding.. Perhaps you were listening to a faulty unit or with the wrong sized ear buds? The w60 is significantly better in all ways compared to the um3x. It has everything the um3x has, plus more.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #863 of 3,037
  As much as i like the um3x, you've got to be kidding.. Perhaps you were listening to a faulty unit or with the wrong sized ear buds? The w60 is significantly better in all ways compared to the um3x. It has everything the um3x has, plus more.

Maybe but the fit was perfect as I just swapped the tips over from my um3x. Well I did find the W60 to have slightly bass and better treble extension but no way worth the asking price. Upgrading from $150 to $1000 iem with only a 5% gain as in the aforementioned areas? Nah I think I'll pass 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #864 of 3,037
  Maybe but the fit was perfect as I just swapped the tips over from my um3x. Well I did find the W60 to have slightly bass and better treble extension but no way worth the asking price. Upgrading from $150 to $1000 iem with only a 5% gain as in the aforementioned areas? Nah I think I'll pass 
normal_smile%20.gif

But that is YOUR perception of the sound and what the difference are worth to you.  I think we would all agree with that.    I, too, returned the W60 after 3 weeks because I though $400 level IEM's were really close to $1,000 IEM's and my disposable income could not justify it.  But I probably would have considered W60 a good 15% better than the $400 level IEM's of my choice.  But that is not a knock on W60, I returned SE846 after 4 days as I just did not like it even as much as some $400 IEM's.  The W60 is a terrific IEM and very well representative of what a $1,000 IEM sounds like.  But for only a perceived 5% improvement you made the right choice.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #865 of 3,037
normal_smile%20.gif

Just a side note: UM3x/pro 30 is a $400 IEM brand new. And some are now selling their W60s at a fraction of MSRP$1000 probably. I probably will never try W60s and SE846s for I think I need a decent DAP to do them justice which I don't have the motivation to spend a fortune in. As I am loyal to iPhone headphone out, I think I will never go beyond pro 30 and w30. BTW It was lucky for you to get it at $150 as I got my UM2 second hand close to your price. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #866 of 3,037

But that is YOUR perception of the sound and what the difference are worth to you.  I think we would all agree with that.    I, too, returned the W60 after 3 weeks because I though $400 level IEM's were really close to $1,000 IEM's and my disposable income could not justify it.  But I probably would have considered W60 a good 15% better than the $400 level IEM's of my choice.  But that is not a knock on W60, I returned SE846 after 4 days as I just did not like it even as much as some $400 IEM's.  The W60 is a terrific IEM and very well representative of what a $1,000 IEM sounds like.  But for only a perceived 5% improvement you made the right choice.

W60 and SE846 would be terrific iems are the $400 price point. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #867 of 3,037
Just got my UM PRO50's in the mail - listened for a few minutes - not bad.... not bad at all.... More to come (when I get time)

**Why does available time seem to shrink in proportion to the increase in number of quality IEMs in one's collection - would someone explain that to me?

EDIT: I was reading the above comparison of the UM3XRC to the W60 and the numbers bandied about to quantify value - and the using of $150 for the cost of the UM3X - the list price was a lot higher - street price was lower, but usually in the $400-$450 range...

see below...

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #868 of 3,037
  Just got my UM PRO50's in the mail - listened for a few minutes - not bad.... not bad at all.... More to come (when I get time)

**Why does available time seem to shrink in proportion to the increase in number of quality IEMs in one's collection - would someone explain that to me?

Nice!!!  I still find that my UMPro30 is one of the best in my collection.  I would love to read about what your impression is of the 50s, so, I too can have more IEMs and no time to enjoy them. 
biggrin.gif

I think you should do another review.  Your 1964 V8 review was spot on.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #870 of 3,037

Nice!!!  I still find that my UMPro30 is one of the best in my collection.  I would love to read about what your impression is of the 50s, so, I too can have more IEMs and no time to enjoy them. 
biggrin.gif

I think you should do another review.  Your 1964 V8 review was spot on.

Thanks - I think I will focus on the V6-Stage when I get it back from 1964 Ears - I am having a small refit done on the right bud of my V8 - it fits fine except for the bowl area where there seems to be less material than on the V6S - so I get a pocket of air between my ear and the IEM - when I press in, the seal is made and the sound springs to life - when I let go, air seeps in and I lose seal a bit - since my V6S does not have that issue, I sent both pair in. I can see the problem and it should be easy to fix for them having the pair that fits perfect.....

So I am totally without 1964 - first time in a long time - not cool - but I think the PRO50 is a nice consolation prize.... 

I am looking close at it and it looks like there are two small double BA drivers and one HUMONGOUS BA bass driver - I could be wrong and that big one is 2 drivers, but I'm not sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back