Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #76 of 606

Without side by side, it's difficult, but anything else you can offer re comparison with the SE846, particularly in terms of bass and treble extension?  I just bought the SE846 and am not sure whether to return them in favor of waiting for these W60s.

do you wanna return the 846 becuase you are wanting the w60, or the 846 dont do it for you?

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #79 of 606
Re: cable price, :shrug:

Given the (to me) ridiculous cable pricing in general, I'm not surprised.  Reading these forums makes it clear that there's plenty of disposable income out there.  That, or plenty of people itching to be in too deep w/ personal cc debt load.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #80 of 606
My biggest problem with new trend of 1000$ universals is that big companies doesnt care about previous model that much. In past, when somebody made new top model, it replaiced current top model and was about same price.

Now with Shure, Sennheiser, Westone, they keep their old outdated models, some of them many years old, sometimes with just refurbished looks. All new top models dont repleace old top mode, but just became higher model in hierarchy. I'm afraid in two years, with new even better models, we will see same thing, keeping old outdated models and pricing new 1500-2000$.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #81 of 606
Is Westone kidding? $200 for replacement cables. I paid that for pure OCC silver cables with a much greater gauge and an Oyaide rhodium plug.

Really doesnt Suprise me, Tralucent was or is charging $400.00 for a replacement 1plus2 cable the last time i contacted them. and lets not even go into their silver/gold i think that one was $650.00 or more.

i feel like nowadays these ''high end universals'' that come with ''high end cables'' are a ploy to make more money off cables or replacement parts, i mean $200.00 thats some peoples budget for a complete iem, let alone a replacement cable.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #84 of 606
Really doesnt Suprise me, Tralucent was or is charging $400.00 for a replacement 1plus2 cable the last time i contacted them. and lets not even go into their silver/gold i think that one was $650.00 or more.

i feel like nowadays these ''high end universals'' that come with ''high end cables'' are a ploy to make more money off cables or replacement parts, i mean $200.00 thats some peoples budget for a complete iem, let alone a replacement cable.

Thing is, those high end cables holds a big part of what makes these high end IEM sound so good. I've had PM msgs with more than a few people who tried taking the magic cables away and like a puff of smoke so did a large majority of the IEM potential. You also need to consider how much an IEM can scale up before it hits a glass ceiling, something like 1plus2 scales up well, For a example a $400 cable on $200 IEM won't gain that cables full potential.

I have one of Tralucent silver cables here actually.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #85 of 606
  do you wanna return the 846 becuase you are wanting the w60, or the 846 dont do it for you?

I really like the SE846s overall and if the W60 wasn't coming out, I wouldn't think twice about keeping them.  If they are lacking in an area, it would be upper treble (> 8khz) extension and air.  Since I'm still within the return period, naturally the W60 is something I'd also like to look at. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #86 of 606
  I was at CES with work this week and had some me-time yesterday morning. I was at the Westone booth for about 30 minutes to chat with the sales reps and listen to the singer they had playing into the W40 and UM30's they had set up for auditioning. I jokingly asked if there was a W50 or W60 floating around to listen to, and over walks the VP with both available. I only got about 5 minutes with each pair, so I don't have too much I can really say. But I can tell you that the W50 was much darker than I was expecting. The W60 was something special though. We've had the K3003 and 846 in my store for a while now so I'm used to those, but without some real side-by-side comparison I can't pass much judgement.

Hi magicianky, regarding the W50, by "Darker" do you mean there's a powerful bass with slam/kick/punches? Comparing this 2 new westone iems, would you say that they provide more bass quantity compared to the W40 and similar to the um 30 pro? Because that's what I'm aiming for (Westone goodness with bass slam). 

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #87 of 606
It's going to be interestng to follow this thread, I wonder which one of the W50 and W60 is the natural step up from the old W3. So far it sounds like it might be the W50.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #88 of 606
I still cant believe why Universal IEM's being Overpriced ( come on 1000$?) ... Haven started this ( but no one cared about the price tag) and AKG started this trend with their 3003i and all manufactures ran after it. even westone. see my point is when we spend around 1000$ we could've easily get a epic pair of customs. like UERM's or UM's or spirals...    im still saying the best price for a universal is around 500-600$ range

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #89 of 606
I believe this have got to do with their marketing strategies to skim the market as well as deploying price premium strategies to well position their flagships and brand. Especially Westone as a market leader definitely will need to keep up and practice price leadership strategy.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #90 of 606
I believe this have got to do with their marketing strategies to skim the market as well as deploying price premium strategies to well position their flagships and brand. Especially Westone as a market leader definitely will need to keep up and practice price leadership strategy.

YEAH ... but within another 2 years the High end market of iem's will Surpass 5000$ mark and it will lead to their own damnation... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back