Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60
Jan 8, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #46 of 606
You should be excited. Westone is the leader. Always has been. I'm sure they took a lot of time listening to se846 and I expect their W60 to sound evn better. I'll tell you one thing.....it won't have rolled off highs.

Well look who is defensive agressive...let me be the judge if I want to be excited or not. Thanks.

Besides the 846 sound great TO MY EARS and you have NO IDEA how the W60 will sound.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #47 of 606
Yea sorry, bad wording on my part. No reason to be excited. I would just say when it comes to the sound of their IEM's Westone rarely dissapoints. They seem to do things well thought out.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #48 of 606
Yea sorry, bad wording on my part. No reason to be excited. I would just say when it comes to the sound of their IEM's Westone rarely dissapoints. They seem to do things well thought out.

Ok then, but based on this announcement, it is not obvious that is all I said....I never said they will bring out a crappy iem.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #50 of 606
My only experience as of yet (w/Westone) is the Westone 3, which is kind of a conundrum of sorts with the angle of the stem and the wildly, and I mean wildly varying sound from tip to tip. But I do find them quality; even if I'm not impressed (due to other iem's I own) it has done little to dissuade me from still intending to purchase the W4R as soon as the price dips a little more.

I have only ever heard the SE215 from Shure so I don't really know what these new models are up against pitted against Shure's best offering(s).

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #51 of 606
I used to be a big Shure fan, love the SE535 and SE425, but they both lack a little sparkle up top. Westone UM Pro30 is dark but still has more sparkle up top than the Shure.

Beginning to like Westone, especially the cable, as i hate memory wire

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #52 of 606
  I used to be a big Shure fan, love the SE535 and SE425, but they both lack a little sparkle up top. Westone UM Pro30 is dark but still has more sparkle up top than the Shure.

Beginning to like Westone, especially the cable, as i hate memory wire

i really think it depends on the sources/am[s/dacs/cables/interconnects ect you are using.

for instance, a few years ago i had the bronze se535-v and felt like it had annoying roll off. i was using a ipod>lod>se535

cut to now i dont hear that roll off i have 2 pairs of se535-v's now.

rig is iriver ihp-140 optic line out>custom sys concepts fiber optic cable>ibasso db2 boomslang optic in W/ low pass Filter Opamp>ibasso cb08 balanced cable>ibasso pb2 pelican>4x LME49990 Opamps>4x HA5002 Buffers

i also swap out the cb08 for a RSA male to Hirose Male Toxic Silver Poison interconnect, and use the rest of the stuff but with the RSA SR-71B.

i guess it just depends on the equipment you are using becuase i get no roll off, i havent done anything tricky. but my opinion has definitly differed from when i originally owned them. more enjoyable now imo

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #53 of 606
That is true, I did put a SPC cable on the SE535 and they gained some clarity and sparkle. Also using the JDS Labs C421 I had at the time made a difference

I will likely do the same with the UM Pro30 I have.

I like Shure, as they have such lush mids, but I'm beginning to like westone better.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #55 of 606
I love my W4 and definitely will get the W60 in 2-3 years later, hoping the retail price would go down 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #56 of 606
How interesting, a Westone music app. 

http://westoneaudioblog.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/westone-launches-hd-quality-music-app-for-iphone-itouch-ipad/

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #58 of 606

You have no idea of what you'll be buying in 2-3 years, in this field. New earphones are coming out at breakneck speed, right now, and the trend only seems to accelerate.

haha you mean in 2-3 months, this hobby is addicting and tastes change and rigs change so much, i mean enough is never really enough..i thought i was satisfied many times. nah

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #59 of 606
Dang.  $1,000USD "TOTL" universal IEMs abound.  The market has clearly gone a bit bonkers, IMO.  Still, here I sit, weighing my options, knowing full well I'll pony-up the $1,000-$1,300 for said "TOTL" universal IEM.  SMH.  How far I've come in this crazy hobby over the past few years.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #60 of 606
  Dang.  $1,000USD "TOTL" universal IEMs abound.  The market has clearly gone a bit bonkers, IMO.  Still, here I sit, weighing my options, knowing full well I'll pony-up the $1,000-$1,300 for said "TOTL" universal IEM.  SMH.  How far I've come in this crazy hobby over the past few years.

Price is prestige. Once one big company had produced a $1000 IEM, others had to follow or suffer a loss in standing. However stupid that may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back