Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Aug 8, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #1,576 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a difference in sound quality between two 3-pin XLR and a 4-pin XLR?

No. But my ZDT only has a 4-pin jack. And I use a 4-foot APS V3 extension/adapter for my SP Sq Wave XL amp to take it from dual 3-pin to a single 4-pin.

This way all my phones can just be a 4-pin and I can also use a 4-pin to single ended adapter.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #1,577 of 1,871
^^^no there isnt, it really just depends on what your amp has on it for outputs

pila: sorry mate, I have spent a long time with trial and error. you cannot buy the connectors other than in a cable, you can get a pigtail from Plastics one, but it already has wires attached; I made my own pins and moulded the casing.

re-terminating the stock cable with XLRs is pretty straight forward if all you need is a balanced cable.

I better start listening to more classical music, clearly it makes ones ears mature at a much accelerated rate
rolleyes.gif
pathetic.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #1,578 of 1,871
Looks like this thread has been pushed under temporarily due to the JH-13pro, but have no fear!

I'm going to get my impressions done tomorrow for the ES3x monitors, and I can't wait. I'll take photos of course, and hopefully they'll arrive next week before I leave on friday to go back to school (college student here).

The only problem is that I've yet to decide on a color/custom design (if any). I've looked through photos in this thread and a lot are appealing, I just can't decide! Oh well. I'm not too worried about it. If anyone out there has yet to post photos of their ES3xs yet, please do! I'm anxious for inspiration.

Best,
R.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #1,579 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like this thread has been pushed under temporarily due to the JH-13pro, but have no fear!

I'm going to get my impressions done tomorrow for the ES3x monitors, and I can't wait. I'll take photos of course, and hopefully they'll arrive next week before I leave on friday to go back to school (college student here).

The only problem is that I've yet to decide on a color/custom design (if any). I've looked through photos in this thread and a lot are appealing, I just can't decide! Oh well. I'm not too worried about it. If anyone out there has yet to post photos of their ES3xs yet, please do! I'm anxious for inspiration.

Best,
R.

EDIT: If you're reading this post for the first time, and if it's arousing an idea that "this poor guy doesn't know what he's talking about", I would suggest you scroll down to see the follow-up post explaining (and apologizing for one of) my statements here.

Any specific reason why you decided to choose the ES3X over the hugely popular (overnight, may I add) JH13 Pro?

I guess since Westone isn't 100% dedicated to custom IEM manufacturing as JHA it's no surprise that JHA is taking over this business by leaps and bounds. If Westone and UE wish to continue to be competitive in this arena, it looks like they'll have to up their quality a notch. Not only do most people believe that JH13 is superior but JHA has also received the least number of refit requests. That's a combination for domination.

Powderhound, you guys are in serious mud. Better get to the blackboard and start kicking out some good ideas for the next flagship. While you're add it, make sure the lab workers are doing a better job... I seriously have considered the JH10 over your product so many times just because of the numbers of refits I kept reading about. I'm not going to pay you guys $850 so that I can spend half of my time for the first 3-6 months waiting.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #1,580 of 1,871
Quote:

Any specific reason why you decided to choose the ES3X over the hugely popular (overnight, may I add) JH13 Pro?

I guess since Westone isn't 100% dedicated to custom IEM manufacturing as JHA it's no surprise that JHA is taking over this business by leaps and bounds. If Westone and UE wish to continue to be competitive in this arena, it looks like they'll have to up their quality a notch. Not only do most people believe that JH13 is superior but JHA has also received the least number of refit requests. That's a combination for domination.

Powderhound, you guys are in serious mud. Better get to the blackboard and start kicking out some good ideas for the next flagship. While you're add it, make sure the lab workers are doing a better job... I seriously have considered the JH10 over your product so many times just because of the numbers of refits I kept reading about. I'm not going to pay you guys $850 so that I can spend half of my time for the first 3-6 months waiting.

Wow - you make so many blanket statements without any experience with Westone that it's almost funnier than it is sad. The ES3X quality is great and they are my ONLY custom out of SIX to fit right on the first try. And the sound is great - it's like buying a $1400 HD800 for only $850. Even if people prefer the more costly JH13Pro, that doesn't make the ES3X a bad product. There are thousands of customers who don't come to head-fi to post their good experiences with Westone (or anyone else).

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #1,581 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - you make so many blanket statements without any experience with Westone that it's almost funnier than it is sad. The ES3X quality is great and they are my ONLY custom out of SIX to fit right on the first try. And the sound is great - it's like buying a $1400 HD800 for only $850. Even if people prefer the more costly JH13Pro, that doesn't make the ES3X a bad product. There are thousands of customers who don't come to head-fi to post their good experiences with Westone (or anyone else).

Agreed, My pair of ES3X fit to perfection on it's arrival. No re-fits needed. Just because you have read about fitting issues with the ES3X doesn't mean their quality is below JHA, there could be many factors that causes the monitors to have a less than perfect fit, and most of the time it's when people get poor quality impressions from the audiologist.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #1,582 of 1,871
Quote:

I hope you were being facetious.. otherwise that is a completely ignorant post!

I HIGHLY suggest you refrain from making such blanket (and without first hand knowledge) statements if you care to be taken serious.

btw, my ES3x's were perfect when I received them (fit\quality), no refit required.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #1,583 of 1,871
Quote:

I'm a pretty black and white kinda guy... I'll tell you straight up, I think the extravagant claims by JH13pro owners claiming it to be, as you said, "leaps and bounds" ahead of the competition are mostly hype. For the perfectly discerning audiophile with enough experience to really say so, the JH13pro might very well be 'better' than the ES3X, but it is certainly not *way* ahead of any of the other flagship models, no matter the number of drivers. I'm confident enough of this to say it without ever hearing either earphone.

So why get the ES3X instead? Mostly because of price. I've found a dealer (with the help of one of the members here) that sells Westone products for far less than they retail, and I don't want to spend an extra $400 for a sound difference that is really only *probably* worth about $100 or so. It just doesn't make sense to spend a lot more to get barely more.

As for QC from the Westone labs, you're more often going to hear about bad news than good, and in a specialized market where there is a fair amount of competition, bad news (such as refit issues and the like) will be blown out of proportion. I'm willing to bet JH labs will have the same sort of issues. A custom product is difficult to master by any means.

As for Westone not being a dedicated earphone dealer, I think others here have pointed out that Westone is in fact one of the more experienced companies in making custom ear pieces - whether that be for music listening or for hearing aids; it's all the same basic driver technology. Plus a whole lot of people on here will tell you that their ES3Xs are the best they've ever heard.

So that's why I'm buying from Westone instead of JH.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #1,584 of 1,871
Even if I have had fitting problems, the turn around time is quite fast, they are extremely professional and customer friendly and I love my ES3X's sound. My ears are happy and I don't feel the need to buy any other IEM's at the moment, thank you very much!
normal_smile .gif

I know I can wear them for extended periods of time (6-8 hours) without hearing fatigue due to their balanced sound. You can hear the sparkling highs of cymbals and percussion/bells and feel the bass without extra humps allowing the mids to pass through with as much clarity as the other frequencies. Lovely and soothing to my ears.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #1,585 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - you make so many blanket statements without any experience with Westone that it's almost funnier than it is sad.

Clam down, mister.

Let me explain my "blanket" statements...

Btw, is it not possible to make a mistake in judgment here in head-fi without people jumping all over you? I'm human, I say inaccurate things sometimes. In this case, however, what I said were probably not as much inaccurate as unsubstantiated by further explanation.

"I guess since Westone isn't 100% dedicated to custom IEM manufacturing as JHA...."

Westone does much more than just custom IEMs if you visit their website. Custom earplugs and universal IEMs, for example, are what they also work on. By 100% dedication to custom IEM, I meant producing custom IEMs exclusively, which obviously, something JHA does. Doesn't focusing all your resources on one type of product (in this case, custom IEM fabrication) allow you to better manage the quality of those products? I may be wrong about that, I admit, but don't start snapping at me.

"...it's no surprise that JHA is taking over this business by leaps and bounds."

I may have made a false assumption here. I apologize. The hints are mounting, though, that prospective buyers are looking more at the JHA line than anything else seeing how much activity is occuring in the JH13 thread; and seeing how some have already stated that they prefer their JH13 to their ES3X.

"And the sound is great - it's like buying a $1400 HD800 for only $850. Even if people prefer the more costly JH13Pro, that doesn't make the ES3X a bad product."

Never said the ES3X are crud, my friend. I'm mostly certain they're as awesome as you said they are, or at least very good.

"Not only do most people believe that JH13 is superior but JHA has also received the least number of refit requests."

If you think this one is another blanket statement and incorrect, I would have no idea why. JH13 & ES3X owners are saying they prefer their JH13 (except Ricey, so far). Many lurkers stated that they most likely are going for the JH13. I read few fit or balance issues, compared how many I read in this thread. How much more evidence is necessary?

"Powderhound, you guys are in serious mud."

My apology, Pownderhound. I meant that it is custom IEM fabrication business that may soon be struggling, due to new stiff competition... you guys definitely not muddish in any way. I know you're working hard to provide a great service. Sometimes, the best people are not necessarily the most capable people; but I'd rather associate with the best people than those who are just most capable.

"I seriously have considered the JH10 over your product so many times just because of the numbers of refits I kept reading about. I'm not going to pay you guys $850 so that I can spend half of my time for the first 3-6 months waiting."

This one is my honest personal opinion. While some, such as HPA, got their right the first time, there certainly are quite a number of cases reported here of fits or balancing issues. There was a user in the JH13 thread that said he was opting for JHA mainly due to his fear of dealing with the hassle of refits, alone. I'm not impatient, believe me; however, when company A offers a $850 product and 10 customers reported issues, and company B offers a competing $800 product with only 5 reports... it's not hard to decide which is more likely the better bargain.

"There are thousands of customers who don't come to head-fi to post their good experiences with Westone (or anyone else)."

I'm glad and certain those thousands of customers are happy with what they have from Westone. From all the activity in the other thread, it seems JHA may very soon be growing to have the same size of happy customers pool, perhaps exceeding it in the future if current trends continue.

I hope Westone continues to thrive. They are one of the first pioneers and seem to provide very decent customer service, which is why I why I am concerned about their standing in terms of competitiveness. I am still leaning towards the ES3X, mind you, Larry. The quality of JH13 is probably beyond the quality of my CDs recordings, and I haven't heard much about the JH3x10.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #1,587 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't even mention the heat-sensitive vinyl tips!

hehe Now that you mentioned it, the JH3x10 doesn't come with that heat-sensitve vinyl tips, does it?
wink.gif
Another good feature I would like.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #1,588 of 1,871
Quote:

"I guess since Westone isn't 100% dedicated to custom IEM manufacturing as JHA...."

They aren't, they have 4 universal IEM's, and hearing aids too. However, those products don't affect the Customs lab as they are totally different sections of the company. Neither is JHA, they have a Aviation line, though they are custom. I would think both companies, or even most don't have a problem dealing with more than just custom manufacturing.

Quote:

"Not only do most people believe that JH13 is superior but JHA has also received the least number of refit requests."

Through both threads i see refit problems. It seems some have a constant refit problem but i believe that both companies find properly trained people to do their molds and shells, Westone has been around forever making custom monitors, So has JH Audio and Ultimate Ears (both founded by Jerry). Iwould think that both companies know how to properly make high quality accurate shells. When people have to have refits multiple times, i would think that they had a cruddy impression to start with, and it's not the companies fault.
if you want to blame then blame your audiologist who did your impressions.

Quote:

This one is my honest personal opinion. While some, such as HPA, got their right the first time, there certainly are quite a number of cases reported here of fits or balancing issues. There was a user in the JH13 thread that said he was opting for JHA mainly due to his fear of dealing with the hassle of refits, alone. I'm not impatient, believe me; however, when company A offers a $850 product and 10 customers reported issues, and company B offers a competing $800 product with only 5 reports... it's not hard to decide which is more likely the better bargain.

Well you also have to consider, The Westone has released their monitors a lot longer than JHA had released theres. Westone has probably sold more than multiple times JHA has sold, meaning that those 10 customers could be among 2000 people while the 5 are from 100.

Don't take this persoanally, i'm not snapping at you i'm just stating some facts and opinions. =)

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #1,589 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the extravagant claims by JH13pro owners claiming it to be, as you said, "leaps and bounds" ahead of the competition are mostly hype.

I don't think the JH13pro is leaps and bounds ahead of the ES3X. I've said at one point that transducer, no matter how good they become, are reaching a plateau of perceivable performance. I meant that the business, in general, may be favoring JHA over Ultimate Ears and Westone by leaps and bounds. Less refits + a bit more quality + a bit smaller price = hard to beat.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #1,590 of 1,871
Quote:

hehe Now that you mentioned it, the JH3x10 doesn't come with that heat-sensitve vinyl tips, does it?
wink.gif
Another good feature I would like.

GRR IT'S THE JH|10X3! GET IT RIGHT!
biggrin.gif
i'm just kidding no biggie. No they don't, i'll soon have both and i can do some impressions as soon as the 10X3 arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back