Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #1,561 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...you will NOT be allowed to post on this thread any longer unless you post here stating the ES3X is way better than the JH13's. :)

Doesn't that depend on how old Pila is
evil_smiley.gif
! He just might find some solace on the "other" side. (Pila, it's really all in jest
wink_face.gif
.)

Another way to view the IEM debate is to think of the ES3X (or any of a handful of reference level transducers) as a starting point upon which to build a truly musical music system, making upgrades elsewhere that realize its full(er) potential, and that cannot be fully realized straight out of, e.g. your iPhone. The ES3X are stunning when paired with the DNA Sonett. HPA and other's have noted improvements using other desktop amps with their IEMs as well. (I hope to describe the degree of improvement in my upcoming review of the Sonett. Suffice to say, I am currently using my Pico as a DAC/buffer feeding the DNA, where is seems to shine as well. More later... )

Yes, the ES3X sound great out of whatever you happen to have in your pocket at the time, providing a full, rich, musical experience. However, stopping there and thinking that's all it has to offer falls significantly short of what the ES3X is capable of. The resolution capabilities of the ES3X are revealed and brought to light with higher-end upstream components.

You could spend 1100 on the JH13Pro and get a super sounding IEM. OR, you could spend 1200 (or more) on a reference desktop amp from Woo, DNA or Eddie Current (or others), with the benefit of realizing--IMHO--yet another level of performance that the ES3X (or any transducer) has to offer.

A side benefit is that now you have additional sources that provide you with new possibilities for musical enjoyment.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #1,562 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ wait for it....... lol.... BTW I have a balanced cable made up for my incoming customs, so not the only ones on the planet. now I just need the IEMs
wink.gif
.. and yeah it sure was getting heated over there; lucky there was someone there to spot him again......

Neat! Where did you get the cable from?

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #1,563 of 1,871
I will state my thoughts more when my review is done.

I will say this, and I've said it before, the ES3X beat ALL my dynamic headphones and competed with many of my electrostatics, up until I got my HD800. I think the ES3X sound very much like an HD800 in an IEM, for almost half the price. Even my K1000 are not as fast, detailed and resolving as the ES3X and HD800. Are there headphones out there that are better than HD800? Yes. That leaves open the possibility that an IEM could also be better.

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #1,564 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ wait for it....... lol.... BTW I have a balanced cable made up for my incoming customs, so not the only ones on the planet. now I just need the IEMs
wink.gif
.. and yeah it sure was getting heated over there; lucky there was someone there to spot him again......

Can you PM where you bought all the materials for the cable from, please?

And it will be great to have also a short guide how to make one.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #1,565 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't that depend on how old Pila is
evil_smiley.gif
! He just might find some solace on the "other" side. (Pila, it's really all in jest
wink_face.gif
.)

True, but please don't tell Pila about my posts on the other side. Besides, Pila loves his classical music and THAT makes him stand out from the other crowd. Hope some members over there don't see this post or I'll be in serious trouble. :)

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #1,566 of 1,871
Quote:

True, but please don't tell Pila about my posts on the other side. Besides, Pila loves his classical music and THAT makes him stand out from the other crowd. Hope some members over there don't see this post or I'll be in serious trouble. :)

I'll send you a pm...

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #1,567 of 1,871
Quote:

How does it make me stand out of the other crowd exacly? Many people here also listen to Classical music, right?

And what did you post on the "other side"?

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #1,568 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it make me stand out of the other crowd exacly? Many people here also listen to Classical music, right?

And what did you post on the "other side"?

Don't worry about it, Pila - really; I was just being silly -- Nothing to do with you personally, or with Classical music.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #1,569 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will state my thoughts more when my review is done.

I will say this, and I've said it before, the ES3X beat ALL my dynamic headphones and competed with many of my electrostatics, up until I got my HD800. I think the ES3X sound very much like an HD800 in an IEM, for almost half the price. Even my K1000 are not as fast, detailed and resolving as the ES3X and HD800. Are there headphones out there that are better than HD800? Yes. That leaves open the possibility that an IEM could also be better.

and that IEM being the JH13 Pro?....mmm

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #1,572 of 1,871
I am es3x-less for a week.... miss them....
On the other hand, I have been going to bed very late listening to Placido Domingo, Kathleen Battle, Cecilia Bartoli and a few other singers, plus Mozart and Brahm's. Life is good when you have more than one set to enjoy. I wish however I would have kept my UM3X. My only truly portable set is gone for the week. And now, I don't plan on buying the JH13. really, I don't see a need for it until my current customs wear off and die. My Dad is very hard hearing and it was a pleasure to let him enjoy my 404's listening to Beethoven's 5th (his favorite) and Klaviertrios. (at very loud volume I should say). Truly, I am not in need of upgradiitis for IEM's. Stax SR-007 for Christmas maybe....

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #1,573 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WAS trying to keep it PG.. but hey what the heck! :)

I'm working on a few ideas. Don't worry Larry, I'll let ya in on it.

PS: BLUTARSKY AND I WANT OURS WITH A 4-PIN XLR
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back