Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Aug 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #1,546 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am usually at home most of the day too. But I don't like to wear out my tubes by running the amps when I am not listening. And I like to have a headphone plugged in during warm up of the tube amps (even though they are all either a transformer coupled output or a hybrid), but I also tend to keep my full size phones packed in flight cases since my wife doesn't like the mess of them laying around (or collecting dust). So, for me to switch from my laptop rig to main rig means unpacking and plugging in phones, turning the amps on, but then turning them off when I leave the house for errands or to pick up my kids (during the school year), then turning them back on when I return home. It's a shame I like tubes more than SS for my full size amps, or my life would be easier.
tongue.gif

Yah, especially if you're running some expensive NOS! The 6H30 in the Sonett has a life expectancy of several thousand hours, typically 5K to 10K. It also runs pretty cool. (Donald is running these pretty conservatively.) But Oh! does it sound smooth and detailed. I was thinking about the ZDT too, but for those HOT 6C33C-B's. Gotta give it a listen one of these days though.

I've run the gambit of SS and tubes in my home rigs i.e. amp/loudspeakers. I always end up with tubes for serious home listening, musical enjoyment, and just plain fun.

Here's another hint about the musical communication the Sonett provides when listening with the ES3X. I was literally brought to tears on some of the music I was listening to, the emotional connection was so apparent. Few things do that for me.

EDIT: Re the wife acceptance factor (WAF), my dear wife wags her head every time she walks into the office. Oh well.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #1,547 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! That's really significant. Now we know that balanced out works wonders even for IEMs. That's great. It's too bad that balanced DACs and amps aren't built for portability and IEMs in mind; that way, they would be a lot more portable and affordable. By the way, that balanced cable that you found at CanJam... what's its name? I'd like to google it.

There is no name for the cable - it was just something that Ray Samuels whipped up for a local head-fi'er at the 2007 Colorado meet that was held at Westone's offices. There is only one set out there in the whole world, at least that I know of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah, especially if you're running some expensive NOS! The 6H30 in the Sonett has a life expectancy of several thousand hours, typically 5K to 10K. It also runs pretty cool. (Donald is running these pretty conservatively.) But Oh! does it sound smooth and detailed. I was thinking about the ZDT too, but for those HOT 6C33C-B's. Gotta give it a listen one of these days though.

I've run the gambit of SS and tubes in my home rigs i.e. amp/loudspeakers. I always end up with tubes for serious home listening, musical enjoyment, and just plain fun.

Here's another hint about the musical communication the Sonett provides when listening with the ES3X. I was literally brought to tears on some of the music I was listening to, the emotional connection was so apparent. Few things do that for me.

EDIT: Re the wife acceptance factor (WAF), my dear wife wags her head every time she walks into the office. Oh well.

Yeah, the ZDT does get quite hot, even though I keep getting told the tubes are only running at like 30% of capacity. I have yet to try my custom IEM on the ZDT because with a 4 foot cable I don't want to sit that close to the amp!

I am also lucky because my wife tends to ignore all my amps and can't tell an old one from a new one.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #1,548 of 1,871
Quote:

There is no name for the cable - it was just something that Ray Samuels whipped up for a local head-fi'er at the 2007 Colorado meet that was held at Westone's offices. There is only one set out there in the whole world, at least that I know of.

Well, that settles it. Manufacturers should take notice and produce XLR-terminated IEMs or balanced cables for IEMs - and balanced portable amps.

On a side note, there seems to be quite a bit of tense energy in the JH13 "appreciation" thread. I don't like this side of the forum. Apparently, even great sound reproduction can't cure certain aspects of human nature.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #1,549 of 1,871
Quote:

Heehee.. It's call it "Blutarsky's Dream"
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #1,550 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, there seems to be quite a bit of tense energy in the JH13 "appreciation" thread. I don't like this side of the forum. Apparently, even great sound reproduction can't cure certain aspects of human nature.

Well, things are back to normal there - a few posts have been removed and that particular 'new' member has finally been banned (again - for the 9th time!)

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #1,551 of 1,871
Well, My ES3X are back to Westone. I wonder if the problem is me...... May be I am too picky but the right earphone was hurting a little and could not be inserted all the way....

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #1,552 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heehee.. It's call it "Blutarsky's Dream"
tongue_smile.gif

No, let's call the balanced ES3X cable "Wet Dream", and I want one too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

You would be the perfect guy to make that happen, with at least a 60" or longer cable.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #1,554 of 1,871
Quote:

No, let's call the balanced ES3X cable "Wet Dream", and I want one too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

You would be the perfect guy to make that happen, with at least a 60" or longer cable.

Besides, why should that other IEM have all the fun, what with all that "Aural" stuff, or whatever. I like it, The Balanced "Wet Dream."
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #1,555 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, My ES3X are back to Westone. I wonder if the problem is me...... May be I am too picky but the right earphone was hurting a little and could not be inserted all the way....

Sounds like you did the right thing.

No, wait...er, I think you're being immature! :)

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #1,556 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you did the right thing.

No, wait...er, I think you're being immature! :)

LOL.... I am getting to old to be immature, but I guess I can be at times.....
o2smile.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #1,557 of 1,871
HPA - Which phones do you like better? ES3X or JH|13Pro?

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #1,558 of 1,871
^^ wait for it....... lol.... BTW I have a balanced cable made up for my incoming customs, so not the only ones on the planet. now I just need the IEMs
wink.gif
.. and yeah it sure was getting heated over there; lucky there was someone there to spot him again......

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #1,559 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He likes his Skullcandies best. That's why he doesn't dare post his review.
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, Larry! Don't kill me! I'm sorry I spilled the beans! Nooo!...

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #1,560 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pila, you'd have to send HPA a cheque for at least $100, no make that £100, to get an answer to your question now.

And, if he happens to say he prefers the JH13 - which I doubt he will - and you decide to get them, you will NOT be allowed to post on this thread any longer unless you post here stating the ES3X is way better than the JH13's. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back