Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
May 13, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #886 of 1,871
I agree, the ES3X are the best sounding non-electrostat I've owned
tongue.gif

May 13, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #887 of 1,871
I placed my order for an ES3X yesterday.
After looking at Blutarsky's translucent black/smoke pair, I decided to go with that color too.
smily_headphones1.gif

On my order form at my local dealer, it says "clear black" as the my choice of the color.
Now I am wondering if it's the same color as Blutarsky's translucent black/smoke pair.
Can anyone confirm me if they are the same color?

Well, I guess my best bet would be just sending that picture to my local dealer to make sure. :wink:

May 13, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #888 of 1,871
I know many here have been very enthusiastic about these IEMs. It reads like a lot of hype. I hope that those reading the posts by those of us who are clearly bowled over by the ES3X's understand why we are so enthusiastic.

headphoneaddict is a good one to look to for instance because he has owned or owns the best. He has nothing to gain or lose by stating these rather cheap (in comparison to other phones he has) IEMs are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm in the same boat. I've owned or own some of the best headphones ever and I've been lucky enough to have had on hand the best in the world (save for K1000 Qualia and HE90) for extended periods of time. I know what is out there, I understand why headphone X Y or Z gets those rave reviews and I'm lucky enough to either nod in agreement lending my praise to theirs. Or, I can grimace and wince and know that what others understand to be good sound isn't what I'm looking for.

With the ES3X's it's as if there is no signature. I want to be very clear about what I mean. Obviously every transducer has a sound, be it overly flat and clinical, overly rich and slow, incredibly detailed but analytical etc. Those are the negatives. There are plenty that are very linear and balanced, or liquid and warm but perhaps less refined or resolving in some areas. Ultimately each transducer has a distinct sound that one can say: "YEs this is what I want, more of this that or the other!"

HP-1000's are often touted to be the flattest headphones while still retaining a groove to the music, some PRaT, excellent bass etc. They lack extension compared to other headphones and they aren't as fast as electrostats. But overall many would remark that they are about the closest to neutral as one is going to find.

With the ES3X's words like neutral don't even seem to enter the vernacular. It's as if (at least for me) that word doesn't really make sense. I understand this next part may sound exaggerated and hokey but it is as if the ES3X's transcend the meandering audiophile lingo, the desperate lexicon of a populace seeking the breath of life in their music and it simply gives it. One doesn't require words like extended, or neutral, or dynamic or resolving.

One word really sums it up:

REAL

When I'm concentrating on the music, when I'm in the zone, I forget I have IEMs on, the staging is excellent, the sound is intimate and the music is life-like. It isn't life. I realize this as does my brain, so I can't fool it to think otherwise, but it is as true to life sounding as I've yet heard, albeit through the best full-sized headphones, through some of the best speakers in the world OR! through loudspeaker-driven live music.

Again, if I must quibble, it comes from the limitations of an IEM, as speaker lovers will quibble over the limitations of headphones, as headphone lovers will quibble over the limitations of speakers and as IEM lovers will quibble over the limitations of headphones.

It is a circle, none fully superior to another outright, but each having strengths the other technologies can't match. Still, speakers offer a fuller experience because of the air mass smacking the body and the space capabilities. Yet, they will never resolve like an IEM. Each has their trade off and no doubt, again, if I could get a bigger more open soundstage "air" as it were, from an IEM, the ES3X's would be perfect. For now, they are merely the most life-revealing transducers I've come across.

It means that my interest in what the other IEM companies are offering is not motivating me to even read the threads. I'm not interested in the tech unless someone writes the words: LIFE or REAL.

Anyway, back to reading about critical realism and listening to the ES3X's.

May 13, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #889 of 1,871
WOW! Great post!

I understand excaly what you are saying, and know what you mean.

May 13, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #890 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After looking at Blutarsky's translucent black/smoke pair, I decided to go with that color too.
smily_headphones1.gif

On my order form at my local dealer, it says "clear black" as the my choice of the color.
Now I am wondering if it's the same color as Blutarsky's translucent black/smoke pair.

Well, I guess my best bet would be just sending that picture to my local dealer to make sure. :wink:

Hey ssohn, I'd PM Powderhound and ask him if the clear/black on the order sheet corresponds to the translucent black/smoke color of my pair - just to be safe and sure you get what you want!

May 13, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #891 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know many here have been very enthusiastic about these IEMs. It reads like a lot of hype. I hope that those reading the posts by those of us who are clearly bowled over by the ES3X's understand why we are so enthusiastic.

headphoneaddict is a good one to look to for instance because he has owned or owns the best. He has nothing to gain or lose by stating these rather cheap (in comparison to other phones he has) IEMs are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm in the same boat. I've owned or own some of the best headphones ever and I've been lucky enough to have had on hand the best in the world (save for K1000 Qualia and HE90) for extended periods of time. I know what is out there, I understand why headphone X Y or Z gets those rave reviews and I'm lucky enough to either nod in agreement lending my praise to theirs. Or, I can grimace and wince and know that what others understand to be good sound isn't what I'm looking for.

With the ES3X's it's as if there is no signature. I want to be very clear about what I mean. Obviously every transducer has a sound, be it overly flat and clinical, overly rich and slow, incredibly detailed but analytical etc. Those are the negatives. There are plenty that are very linear and balanced, or liquid and warm but perhaps less refined or resolving in some areas. Ultimately each transducer has a distinct sound that one can say: "YEs this is what I want, more of this that or the other!"

HP-1000's are often touted to be the flattest headphones while still retaining a groove to the music, some PRaT, excellent bass etc. They lack extension compared to other headphones and they aren't as fast as electrostats. But overall many would remark that they are about the closest to neutral as one is going to find.

With the ES3X's words like neutral don't even seem to enter the vernacular. It's as if (at least for me) that word doesn't really make sense. I understand this next part may sound exaggerated and hokey but it is as if the ES3X's transcend the meandering audiophile lingo, the desperate lexicon of a populace seeking the breath of life in their music and it simply gives it. One doesn't require words like extended, or neutral, or dynamic or resolving.

REAL

When I'm concentrating on the music, when I'm in the zone, I forget I have IEMs on, the staging is excellent, the sound is intimate and the music is life-like. It isn't life. I realize this as does my brain, so I can't fool it to think otherwise, but it is as true to life sounding as I've yet heard, albeit through the best full-sized headphones, through some of the best speakers in the world OR! through loudspeaker-driven live music.

Again, if I must quibble, it comes from the limitations of an IEM, as speaker lovers will quibble over the limitations of headphones, as headphone lovers will quibble over the limitations of speakers and as IEM lovers will quibble over the limitations of headphones.

It is a circle, none fully superior to another outright, but each having strengths the other technologies can't match. Still, speakers offer a fuller experience because of the air mass smacking the body and the space capabilities. Yet, they will never resolve like an IEM. Each has their trade off and no doubt, again, if I could get a bigger more open soundstage "air" as it were, from an IEM, the ES3X's would be perfect. For now, they are merely the most life-revealing transducers I've come across.

It means that my interest in what the other IEM companies are offering is not motivating me to even read the threads. I'm not interested in the tech unless someone writes the words: LIFE or REAL.

What he said!

May 13, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #893 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ssohn, I'd PM Powderhound and ask him if the clear/black on the order sheet corresponds to the translucent black/smoke color of my pair - just to be safe and sure you get what you want!

Thanks, Blutarsky! It is very kind of you. :)

I sent an email to the dealer regarding the color choice. (attaching the picture of your ES3X).
And I was told that clear black and translucent black/smoke were two different color options. But since I just placed an order yesterday, he had time to change the color option and would make sure that I get translucent black/smoke color for mine.

Good move done by me.
darthsmile.gif

Blutarsky, thanks again for your help you saved me big time!!

May 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #894 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

It will be the same color.

May 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #895 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

REAL

Good clarification for readers who might be peering in on this forum and thinking that we're just a bunch of ding bats! How could any single set of headphones, IEM or otherwise, receive such unanimous praise!

At least for me, the ES3X are atypical music transducers in that they transcend all music genres, be it classical, country, jazz, pop or ____________. (Fill in whatever music genre you'd like.) The ES3X have brought me closer to the music than any other component in my music system, present and historical. They elicit more musical connectedness than anything I've experienced from the "big rigs" I've owned or auditioned, and so often touted in mainstream audio journals. I'd say "REAL" is a pretty good descriptor! Now that's music for my ears!

Oh, and by the way, the ES3X has me buying more music! In the end, isn't that what it's all about?! The Music!

May 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #897 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be the same color.

p0wderh0und23,

Thanks for the clarification. It really help me finding the peace of my mind while waiting.
k701smile.gif

May 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #898 of 1,871
I really need to block this thread while I wait; its making the wait soooo hard its not funny. seriously; mainly because I know that the time for FOTM has passed now really and if anything, the impressions are only gaining in hysteria
tongue.gif

May 14, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #900 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need to block this thread while I wait; its making the wait soooo hard its not funny. seriously; mainly because I know that the time for FOTM has passed now really and if anything, the impressions are only gaining in hysteria
tongue.gif

Tell me about it. I have to wait until June 8th at the earliest before getting these, and the ES2 has stopped fitting in the meanwhile.

Oh well, if this was my only problem I would be truly happy. In the meanwhile, feedback on the JH13 will appear, though neither the UE10 or UE11 seem to be what I'm after in terms of sound signature, and I still expect the ES3x to be more to my liking.

Maybe I'll get a UM3x to play around with in the meanwhile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back