Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
May 7, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #826 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a little more testing, it seems my right monitor isn't sealing fully. Bummer.
frown.gif

If I play sound through my computer speakers and put the monitors on I can hear the sound pretty clearly but with EVER so slight pressure on the right one and the isolation goes WAY up.

Sounds like you need a re-fit. Sorry about that.

May 7, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #827 of 1,871
The Variphones looks nice! and nice blue ear canals! Congratulations!

and NoValidTitle, I am sorry the fit problems. I hope I won't have any...

May 7, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #829 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Variphone version of the ES3X:

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Variphone and a "normal" E3SX sonically?

This is one is not using the heat-sensitive tip, right?

May 7, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #830 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The tips are heat-sensitive, I can feel them disappear after a few minutes.

May 7, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #831 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me the difference between a Variphone and a "normal" E3SX sonically?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tips are heat-sensitive, I can feel them disappear after a few minutes.

If they are in fact the heat-sensitive tips, I wonder why they'd be different from Westone's re: the colour. The whole earpiece being only one colour looks nicer, I think -- also that translucent blue really looks great! Congratulations!

May 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #832 of 1,871
Does anyone know what these thin yellowish metal 'sheets' inside each shell are? See photos below: the first 2 are from my first ES3X set (March), 3rd is from second set (April), 4th & 5th are from Edwood's ES3X.

These metal 'sheets' were there on both shells on my first ES3X set (March), but only on the right shell on my second set (April) - I've noticed it on both shells on other photos I've seen on the web.

I got an email yesterday that my 3rd set was not shipped yesterday as originally scheduled due to not meeting all quality control checks, so I won't be getting them on Friday.

I emailed Westone back this morning (European time zone) and brought up the above subject which I hadn't raised before. I'd be terribly disappointed to have to send my ES3X's back a third time. I guess when I finally get them, hopefully in perfect condition, I'll just lock myself in for a few hrs and get a huge ES3X fix -- I miss high-end quality sounding IEMs, which I've not been able to fully enjoy since I got rid of my W3's 3 months ago!

First set (March) 'sheet' found inside BOTH shells

ESX3CandyBlue1March.jpg

First set (March) 'sheet' found inside BOTH shells

ESX3CandyBlue2March.jpg

Second set (April) 'sheet' found ONLY inside one of the shells

ESX3CandyBlue3April.jpg

Edwood's ES3X 'sheet' found inside BOTH shells

ES3XClear1.jpg

Edwood's ES3X 'sheet' found inside BOTH shells

ES3XClear2.jpg

May 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #834 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a little more testing, it seems my right monitor isn't sealing fully. Bummer.
frown.gif

If I play sound through my computer speakers and put the monitors on I can hear the sound pretty clearly but with EVER so slight pressure on the right one and the isolation goes WAY up.

Make sure we get those! It sounds like the right canal needs to be tapered a little. This will shorten (ever so slightly) the canal so it gets deeper into the ear. This will allow it to fit better and you will not need to "push" the earpiece into your ear to get that isolation desired. I cannot see it requiring new impressions or a complete remake of that side.

As for the cable, apologies. I'll make sure the lab manager is also aware of that.

May 7, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #835 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure we get those! It sounds like the right canal needs to be tapered a little. This will shorten (ever so slightly) the canal so it gets deeper into the ear. This will allow it to fit better and you will not need to "push" the earpiece into your ear to get that isolation desired. I cannot see it requiring new impressions or a complete remake of that side.

As for the cable, apologies. I'll make sure the lab manager is also aware of that.

Thanks for that info. I'm going to try and make it back to my audioligist today or tomorrow to have them shipped back.

If this gets a quick enough response I will share the info with her but she should know as well. The left one feels more snug than the right one overall. When I go through the twisting motion to insert them the right one just slips in while the left is much more snug going in. So to me it feels like the whole thing might be a tiny bit to small(not to mention that's the one that has the gap in the plug). I'm not sure what's involved in keeping the seal, is that only in the canal or does the portion in the conch contribute to the seal also?

May 7, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #836 of 1,871
There is a sound file you can download from the sensaphonics website that plays a high and a low pitch sound at the same time. If you hear both tones you have a good seal, if you only her the high tone you don't.

May 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #837 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a sound file you can download from the sensaphonics website that plays a high and a low pitch sound at the same time. If you hear both tones you have a good seal, if you only her the high tone you don't.

Here's the link: Sensaphonics / Seal Test

May 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #839 of 1,871
.........................................snip..... ........................................... The left one feels more snug than the right one overall. When I go through the twisting motion to insert them the right one just slips in while the left is much more snug going in. So to me it feels like the whole thing might be a tiny bit to small(not to mention that's the one that has the gap in the plug). I'm not sure what's involved in keeping the seal, is that only in the canal or does the portion in the conch contribute to the seal also?[/QUOTE]

My fit is similar to yours in that the left side sort of snaps into position, while the right side slides in without that locked in feeling, however I seem to have a good seal despite that difference.

I am unable to break the seal on either side by opening or closing my mouth or by side to side jaw movements.

I attribute the difference between the left and right to the differing shape of the outer ear plus the fact that my right canal takes a sharper bend than the left.

May 8, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #840 of 1,871
Just got back my ES3X yesterday after a remolding.
The channel imbalance is gone, but the left seal is not as perfect as the right., which needs adjusting from time to time.. again..
Right side is very comfortable and the seal is perfect!

No more micro bubbles in the moldings, however notice the left side have a gap revealing part of the connection pins. The worst part is, I believe the technician tried to force in the pins with a pair of pliers, which leave an obvious clamp mark on the connectors.

dsc00002svk.jpg

dsc00001knq.jpg

I reckon that Westone customer service is top notch, especially Kyle who have been answering my email within hrs.But is this just me to be that unlucky?
Will I be entitled to remold my left IEM again? I've already went through 2 different audiologist, which I believe it got nothing to do with the ear impressions.
Wasting my $ to do another impression again.. If i'm entitled to a re-molding from Westone..
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back