Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 17, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #601 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got an email today saying they should be ready next week - hope maybe mid-week?
icon10.gif

BTW, got the translucent black - gonna be smokin'!
tongue.gif

Is there a pic of what translucent black looks like? I just put my order but went with boring "clear" mostly because I'll be wearing these when playing at church and figured I should go low key.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #602 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got an email today saying they should be ready next week - hope maybe mid-week?
icon10.gif

BTW, got the translucent black - gonna be smokin'!
tongue.gif

OMG..
how did u manage to get translucent black...
ive been emailing them...and they said not possible for a translucent black!
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #604 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG..
how did u manage to get translucent black...
ive been emailing them...and they said not possible for a translucent black!
confused_face_2.gif

He begged them daily for 5 weeks until they caved in.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #606 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by foamposite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not wrong, this is how the translucent black looks like.

That was a great review of the ES3X - sounds like David is really enjoying them.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #607 of 1,871
In this review he mentioned recabling the ES3X with Piccolino cable???it is possible???

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was a great review of the ES3X - sounds like David is really enjoying them.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #609 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The cosmetic defects are pretty unacceptable in a $850 product though and should be taken care of.

I agree that we shouldn't sugar coat it and make excuses; it's in our best interest to get in touch with Westone about this and make sure that they're aware of people having issues. It's not like it does them any good to release flawed products and I'm sure they will clear it up as soon as possible, as they have done in the past.

3 days ago I posted this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, in one place inside the right earpiece there was some kind of biggish inner residue that made the Candy Blue colour matte instead of translucent like it should be. I'd only mentioned this in passing as I was more concerned about the imbalance & fit issues on left earpiece, of course, and I was told by Westone they'd also deal with it.

I'd made a mistake saying the residue was on the right earpiece, when in fact it was on the left one, same earpiece with fit & sound imbalance issues. I told Westone of the mix-up.

I was told by Westone:
"...Our technician was unable to locate any smudges due to manufacturing flaw but did point out that it was rather the necessary glue that is used to hold the components in place on the inside of the monitor. Without this glue the internal electronics would simply rattle around inside."

To which I replied:
"...Re: the smudges and the glue you mention, they are not visible AT ALL on the right shell, but very much so on the left one, and haven't seen it on other photos from others' ES3X's. But, if this is said to be ok, I guess I'll just have to accept that..."

And then I was told:
"...The glue smudges that you are referring to are located in a different place inside the monitors shell for different people as everyone's ears are different. This may be why the smudges on others monitors are not as visible as yours. After speaking to our repair technician, it was discussed that the glue was in the best position inside the shell to accommodate both performance and look in your particular ear...."

Here's some pics I took before I sent them back.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

I should be getting my repaired ES3X's this evening (central European time). Like I said I 'd only mentioned this is passing as my main concerns were fit and sound imbalance on left earpiece, but I couldn't see ANY of this 'glue' on the right earpiece or seen anything like it on other photos on this website and others.

I still have my doubts, though, after seeing the right earpiece looking perfectly well plus other photos of the ES3X and many other photos of different see-through custom IEM's. But at the moment I'm keeping my fingers crossed the REAL issues have been addressed properly. I can live with the glue thing as it doesn't really bother me that much, but will admit I was a little surprised & disappointed that such a high-end product would have, in my view, this minor cosmetic flaw.

I'll state again, though, that Westone's Customer Service has been 1st class -- 11 days from FedEx collecting my ES3X -I already have confirmation for delivery today- to return isn't bad at all considering I live in Europe. They covered shipping both ways.

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #610 of 1,871
Interesting! I hate to nitpick, but I noticed in the pics of the translucent black es3x that the right monitor has the same issue with the cord connection:

0021.jpg

Seems that on mine the right connector isn't flush like the left (blue dot)... I called Westone about this and they said it doesn't affect SQ and that it probably happened during the 'polishing process' and some residue might have been left in causing this. Anyone else have this happen?

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #611 of 1,871
As promised by Westone I got my ES3X's back 2 hrs ago!!

As it turns out I've got some pain in my left ear, but managed to try the ES3X on and the channel balance seems to be perfect now! -- Unfortunately I couldn't get a really proper fit in my left ear because of the pain, so I had to keep trying to put the left monitor into place, and when it seemed to fit right the balance was perfect. I had them on for about 10 mins only. I'd forgotten a bit how terrific sounding the ES3X are, and I just wanted to listen a bit longer, but common sense told me to get them off and to let my left ear heal properly, so hopefully by Sunday/ Monday I'll have a proper chance to do some testing and enjoy them.

Aslo, unexpectedly, after what I said on my previous post, the smudges on the left earpiece are gone!! So, I guess I wasn't wrong when I said they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Here's some pics I took about an hour ago.

IMG_2984a.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #613 of 1,871
They look really really nice and well-done, music_4321!

I am happy for you that your issues have been solved so quickly and perfectly. This certainly makes me more hopeful that the same happens to me in the near future.

In my case, Westone is making a brand new set of ES3X's and they even offered me to change the color for the replacement pair. So I also took the Candy Blue option as I found it always turns out best optically.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #614 of 1,871
Thanks Paddy855

Yes, someone mentioned recently that refit issues were not uncommon when dealing with custom IEM's and that Westone, I believe he said, had a pretty good record in this regard, i.e. not having to do refits all that often as other companies because they generally got it right the first time round.

It really is a pleasure to deal with them either by email or on the phone. There's something to be said about that personal touch, which seems rare these days in so many places. It's also, indirectly, an excellent way to learn about how good a company really is, in the way they respond when problems arise.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #615 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He begged them daily for 5 weeks until they caved in.

Yup, the begging helped but I think the tipping point came after I began squirting the tears...
tongue.gif

I'll take some pictures and let you guys see them.

Glad to see that the guys who've had issues are getting them resolved! I'd expect great customer service from Westone. I've had a fantastic experience with my Westone ES2s and expect the same with the ES3Xs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back