Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 15, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #586 of 1,871
Uuugh, everyone is "everyone" is everyone. Whatever, it doesn't matter. People are having issues. How 'bout that. Instead of picking on anyone here, how 'bout directing our attention on Westone and picking on them.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #587 of 1,871
What's that, you say? Everyone is having issues with imbalance, no bass, and the lack of ES3x mid detail, and ridiculous sibilance? Well isn't that a darn shame... Maybe next month's ES4x will do the trick...

popcorn.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #588 of 1,871
haha

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #589 of 1,871
I may have to retract part of my earlier post. The perceived "imbalance" issue may have actually been recording dependent. After listening to Miles Davis' ESP the channel separation was much improved. Whereas when listening to Blakey ( and most other Blue Note recordings), it appeared as though the drum kit was right next to me (on the right) and the trumpet was about ~6 feet away (on the left)... Which caused it to appear as though the sound level on the left was lower. When listening to the same CD on speakers and even some headphones I didn't get this impression. Perhaps, the ES3x is better at exposing the way a recording was made???

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #590 of 1,871
To be 100% sure you have to do some A/B'ing with another set of IEM's/ headphones and play different pieces of music. I had my doubts at first because instrument separation is very good on the ES3X, but later realised there really was a problem - used my HD650's and Sony MDR-EX90's to compare.

So, if your ES3X's are OK, I'm very pleased to hear that, and now perhaps it's down to 3 people (on this forum) with a similar problem.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #591 of 1,871
If you can set your source to mono, a very brief listen will clearly show even the slightest bit of channel imbalance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be 100% sure you have to do some A/B'ing with another set of IEM's/ headphones and play different pieces of music. I had my doubts at first because instrument separation is very good on the ES3X, but later realised there really was a problem - used my HD650's and Sony MDR-EX90's to compare.

So, if your ES3X's are OK, I'm very pleased to hear that, and now perhaps it's down to 3 people (on this forum) with a similar problem.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #592 of 1,871
Been on the outside with my face pressed up against the window looking in on this thread for awhile.

Won't be long until my ES3X are done!

Regarding the channel imbalance: maybe this has already been suggested - try the bink audio test track(s) 1 (left / right) and 2 (left / right / center). Be careful to set a lower the volume initially these tracks can be loud.

Binkster Audio Test: Extras

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #593 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutarsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been on the outside with my face pressed up against the window looking in on this thread for awhile.

Won't be long until my ES3X are done!

Regarding the channel imbalance: maybe this has already been suggested - try the bink audio test track(s) 1 (left / right) and 2 (left / right / center). Be careful to set a lower the volume initially these tracks can be loud.

Binkster Audio Test: Extras

Welcome to the club! Do you still pick them up by the end of next week?

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #594 of 1,871
I think one of the reasons for some people perceiving an imbalance is due to the very wide soundstage. It comes at a price with the ES3X. It causes a rather large shift from left to right, so sounds can "jump" from left to right rather abruptly, so with some songs you have a drummer with a 150 foot arm span it sounds like.

Also the ES3X's stereo left and right separation has a bit of a "Hole" in the middle, giving it the classic headphone Two blobs effect. Albiet really big and wide blobs, but the ES3X's soundstage and imaging makes me feel that it would benefit from a little crossfeed since it seems to exhibit a little left and and right separation effect that makes sound in the dead center of the soundstage seem to shift left and right often.

Of course with all the headphones I have ever owned, only two do not exhibit the need for crossfeed. The K1000 (which naturally has crossfeed since sound totally leaks from one side to the other) and the R10, which just has a magical soundstage.

-Ed

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #596 of 1,871
Although instrument separation is great, IMO, after listening to many different pieces of music, more sound kept coming from the right channel, north-east of my head and had nothing to do with soundstage.

I had my doubts at first also due to the fact that some 80% of the music I listen to is instrumental, and though I did notice something not quite right, it wasn't as obvious as with vocal tracks which prompted some proper testing a few days later - also part of me just didn't want to face the prospect of a return, repairs, etc.

I was told yesterday my repaired ES3X's should be here on Friday - will report back.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #597 of 1,871
I agree with music_4321 on the sound imbalance thingy, but did not have the chance to try the mono sound as I've sent back my IEM.
My serial no. is 0129, hopefully the four of us are having isolated issues..

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #598 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Labbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with music_4321 on the sound imbalance thingy, but did not have the chance to try the mono sound as I've sent back my IEM.
My serial no. is 0129, hopefully the four of us are having isolated issues..

If you have another set of headphones/ IEM's you (and others) might want to go to iTunes for some great 30" mono recording samples - just do a search for The Quintessential Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli - Perhaps not very cool, but certainly great music!

And although not exactly ES3X related, here's some more info on Django Reinhard: Django Reinhardt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #599 of 1,871
Channel imbalances are very possibly due to fit, though the fact that several consecutive users reported it may just mean that there's a bad batch. Still, I very often experience a particular type of channel imbalance with universal-fit IEMs because I can't get an equal seal in both ears with most kinds of eartips, and it really does sound like something is mechanically off with the drivers whereas in reality it's just the fit.

The cosmetic defects are pretty unacceptable in a $850 product though and should be taken care of.

I agree that we shouldn't sugar coat it and make excuses; it's in our best interest to get in touch with Westone about this and make sure that they're aware of people having issues. It's not like it does them any good to release flawed products and I'm sure they will clear it up as soon as possible, as they have done in the past.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #600 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club! Do you still pick them up by the end of next week?

Got an email today saying they should be ready next week - hope maybe mid-week?
icon10.gif

BTW, got the translucent black - gonna be smokin'!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back