Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #361 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...

I don't have the time to read through 24 pages of posts, so I'll just ask my questions.

1) How does the sound signature itself compare with the PFE?
2) Has Westone extended the cable length up to the y-split so it doesn't brush your jaw anymore?
3) If these really do have a bigger, better soundstage than the IE8, then exactly HOW big and realistic is it? Are we talking true out-of-head sounds here, or just very airy in-your-head sounds?
4) Are the earpieces silicone or that hard acrylic material?

Thank you. I don't have the money yet, but in a few years' time, I'm thinking about getting either these or the ACS T1 as my first custom. I want something with a similar sound signature to the PFE, but slightly more "human" or "dynamic", and with better soundstage and instrument decay/timbre/etc.

To be fair...should folks have to answer questions time and time again in the same thread when people are too lazy to read? You could search within the thread too...

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #362 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unable to resist, BTW here's a question for Zanth, do they compliment PS1000 or go beyond them in your musical imagination.

I wish I had the PS-1000's to compare. Ultimately the sound signature is quite different. I find it hard to compare IEM's vs. larger headphones. I find it nearly as incongruous as trying to compare full sized headphones to speakers.

That said, there are some similarities from memory. In my opinion, I would say these are a compliment to the PS-1000's rather than going beyond them, and vice versa. Certainly bass is no where in the same realm, imaging cues that add the perception of larger halls is on a smaller scale with IEM's, no pinnae interaction means a fundamental difference in the experience of the sound. That said, similarities immediately are detail (which I would wager a guess that the ES3X's have more, but then I would imagine IEM's, when well made should offer more detail or at least the ready detection of it since the sound is just that much quieter (no ambient external noise to interfere, particularly since I only use open headphones).

The mids are very nice too, very comparable. They may not have that sparkle of the Grados, but they have a wonderful liquid midrange, smoother than the modern RS-1's, on likely the vintage ones too. But not as liquid as the PS-1's. Probably then really falling closely in line with the PS-1000's.

The highs though, these may be the best highs I've ever heard. The reason I think is that there is absolutely zero emphasis. They are smooth and extended but never ever ever prominent. Some may find this is a detraction from the sound. I disagree, I think it marks a true high-end product where music lovers were targeting music lovers.

One thing I won't ever get over is the sensation of something in my ear, akin to those speaker lovers who will never get over the sensation of something on their heads when listening to full sized headphones. There is a comfort level that is impossible (at least for me) to achieve with IEM's as compared with the most comfortable full sized headphones.

I'm listening right now to my vinyl rig via the HP4: Brahms violin concerto in D major with Oistrakh on violin. This is an absolutely fantastic LP, not even "audiophile" grade as they are released today...no super heavy vinyl, double LP at 45 rpm...but the sound is sublime and the presentation with the ES3X's is unreal.

Because of their resolving power, vinyl isn't as "dead quiet" as often can be perceived with full sized cans or even better, with speakers, but the noise floor is incredibly low regardless and only in the quietest passages can I hear any futzing. My vinyl rig is pretty high end and it excels at tracking and a very low noise floor. I'm very please to hear that what I've thought and what has been claimed in the past with this combo is true, even with such sensitive transducers plugged in. This isn't even my quietest piece of vinyl either so I can't wait until later tonight.

I'm figuring out the fit now, I can get them in no problem, pulling them out is still a task and a half for me. Not sure why, but I don't quite have the hang of it yet.

This is a lot of fun, and I always enjoy figuring out new toys particularly headphones. When I get to evaluate a new sound, especially something as top tier as I'm hearing now, it really stretches my limits of defining what is or isn't perfect for me. The ES3X's are changing some things I've always come to expect from music.

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #363 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with brown?
confused.gif
I had a C3 that was brown with black swirls that looked fantastic (used to be the picture used on hearyourself.com, not there anymore). Unfortunately, it met a very untimely demise
frown.gif

Just curious, what happened to your C3's?

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #364 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair...should folks have to answer questions time and time again in the same thread when people are too lazy to read? You could search within the thread too...

Okay, I read most of the thread now. My question about the cable still stands, as does my indecision between the ES3X and ACS T1 from a "Phonak sound signature on steroids" point of view.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #365 of 1,871
The length of the cabe is fine up to the split. No brushing up against my jaw. I don't have any experience with the ACS T1 so others will have to have a go at that one.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #366 of 1,871
I've made some inquires on this custom of Variphone (the outsource dealer/distributor of Westone products for Europe) and I have been told that they will have a (finalised) pricing for the ES3X on 6th April and will be ready and set-up to start taking orders and begin manufacturing these for customers then! [It might be somewhat of a pipedream for me to actually purchase these atm but I will be interested to see how much they cost in Europe and I just might sell most to all of my universal IEMs to fund such an investment in the (near) future].

EDIT: Didn't realise this thread ha d grown so long so apologies if this news- European availability- has already been aired, so to speak
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #367 of 1,871
Quote:

So...

I don't have the time to read through 24 pages of posts, so I'll just ask my questions.

1) How does the sound signature itself compare with the PFE?
2) Has Westone extended the cable length up to the y-split so it doesn't brush your jaw anymore?
3) If these really do have a bigger, better soundstage than the IE8, then exactly HOW big and realistic is it? Are we talking true out-of-head sounds here, or just very airy in-your-head sounds?
4) Are the earpieces silicone or that hard acrylic material?

Thank you. I don't have the money yet, but in a few years' time, I'm thinking about getting either these or the ACS T1 as my first custom. I want something with a similar sound signature to the PFE, but slightly more "human" or "dynamic", and with better soundstage and instrument decay/timbre/etc.

I don't think that is fair to us who have written our extensive thoughts on the ES3X to be asked to reward your laziness. Most of your questions have been answered in here except for the y-split question.

I think the y-split is the same length as before, but while it is shorter than with other IEM it has never brushed my jaw before. A few people do wear them with the wire behind their necks to avoid that issue. And, you could always order a null-audio cable with a longer wire after the split (search google).

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #368 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm figuring out the fit now, I can get them in no problem, pulling them out is still a task and a half for me. Not sure why, but I don't quite have the hang of it yet.

Try pushing them out from behind your ear - put a finger along your jaw line to under the pinna of the ear, and pop them out from the under-side of the ear, instead of pulling them out from the outer side of the ear.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #369 of 1,871
Quote:

Okay, I read most of the thread now. My question about the cable still stands, as does my indecision between the ES3X and ACS T1 from a "Phonak sound signature on steroids" point of view.

I anticipated that the y-split part had not been answered, but I thought the Phonak issue had been covered. I disdcussed the Phonak a couple of times in my mini-review of ES3X, where the Phonak are not like the ES3X but more like the Livewires - when I talk about LW just substitute the word Phinak in it's place and you'll be 98% of the way there: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5432706

The Phonak do not compare to the ES3X except they are close in detail and transparency. But the ES3X bass, mids and highs do not sound like the Phonak. While the Phonak stand out as a detailed IEM, the ES3X have all the detail you could ask for but with smoother richer more natural tone, more power and presence, great extension down low and high, excellent frequency balance with no sibilance or brightness like the Phonak, and a more holographic soundstage. Regardless of which filters you use the Phonak they are not on this level, and that is coming from someone who likes the amped Phonak a good bit.

Some Phonak stuff was was covered in this thread, I think by Confispect or someone asking Phonak/ES3X questions, or in the following thread: Ultimate Ears UE-10 vs. Westone ES3X - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I also put a mini-comparo of LW, Phonak, W3 and IE8 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/l...ml#post5551319 .

You have to take everything written about several IEM and blend the multitude of comparsons together to get one big picture. i.e. A is better than B, but C is better than A. So C must also be better than B, even though they weren't compared directly.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #370 of 1,871
Some good stuff in this thread. If I decide to stick with custom iem's, this looks like the one to get if my ue-10 eventually dies. I think I've had them for about 4 1/2 years. I've never been a big fan of the ue-10. Not great for rock and just something technically cold about them. I found the sensaphonics more natural but their highs were too rolled off. The other problem with both of these iem's is the mids were recessed. It sounds like ES3X is perfect in this area.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #371 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely want to hear your opinion on these as I recall you once preferred the Sleek Audio SA6 to the UE11.
eek.gif
I have a feeling though that with the kings design on your ES3X that these will truly be the king of all IEMs for you.
wink.gif

Not going to jump to any conclusions here, but I do find myself listening to the Westone 3 more than the UE11. I know the ES3X and the 3 are not the same, but we will shall see. I received a call this afternoon that my impressions were approved and the ball is rolling, so it won't be too long now.

markotb, the 3's had a car roll over them
frown.gif
Love the sound and will eventually replace them, regardless of how things work out with the ES3X.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #372 of 1,871
Quote:

In a few years' time there may be new high-end custom IEM's and universal ones. So, you still have plenty of time to read all threads related to the ES3X, UE-10, UE-11, ACS T1, W3, IE8, SE530, PFE, etc.

Also, at he moment only a handful of people have the ES3X, so you'll also see a lot more comments and comparisons.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #373 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've made some inquires on this custom of Variphone (the outsource dealer/distributor of Westone products for Europe) and I have been told that they will have a (finalised) pricing for the ES3X on 6th April and will be ready and set-up to start taking orders and begin manufacturing these for customers then! [It might be somewhat of a pipedream for me to actually purchase these atm but I will be interested to see how much they cost in Europe and I just might sell most to all of my universal IEMs to fund such an investment in the (near) future].

EDIT: Didn't realise this thread ha d grown so long so apologies if this news- European availability- has already been aired, so to speak
wink.gif

I already ordered mine at Variphone Benelux, they already take orders.
The pricing will be final after Prolight & Sound ( 1st week of April in Frankfurt)

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #374 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1510 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already ordered mine at Variphone Benelux, they already take orders.
The pricing will be final after Prolight & Sound ( 1st week of April in Frankfurt)

Yeah, I was aware that the pricing would be finalised and published after that event- Stefan at Variphone gave the date of the 6th April- but I didn't know they were taking orders at this time lol. Wouldn't of anticipated it when the price wasn't set but there you go! So do you not know how much you're outlaying for these yet (obviously you've got a good idea of the cost but exactly?)?

To be honest, I was justy making inquiries at this stage; I'd have to sell a lot atm to be able to fork out for em
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #375 of 1,871
Yes, I also spoke to Stefan. The price I'm going to pay is slightly above 1000 euro, impressions and p&p inclusive. Transparant blue with black cable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back