Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 21, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #331 of 1,871
Very quick question:

Interested to hear about iPhone 3G quality headphone out. What would be the main difference between that and the predator?As I already have the iPhone 3G this might move things quicker if ES3Xs are good-to-go out of that. Save the wallet a little as well!

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #332 of 1,871
To Edwood or anyone else with clear shells: can you read the numbers on each of the armatures? I'm just curious which ones they're using. I saw the Knowles CI-22955 in one of Edwood's pictures, which is one of the armatures that LiveWires utilize.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #333 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,
Isn't it time you were in bed already? You live in the US and should NOT be posting at this time of day/ night! Unless you just can't stop using your ES3X
smily_headphones1.gif

I was up late working on my Qinpu A-3 amp review, and had to send a rough draft to head-direct with questions about the amp build and specs, and went to bed right after I posted.

I suffer from insomnia and usually sleep from 3am - 10am every day = 7 hours, just at the wrong hours.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #334 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very quick question:

Interested to hear about iPhone 3G quality headphone out. What would be the main difference between that and the predator?As I already have the iPhone 3G this might move things quicker if ES3Xs are good-to-go out of that. Save the wallet a little as well!

The Predator and P-51 are a little punchier or dynamic sounding, but the iPhone 3G is still offers a very transparent and clean sound that doesn't get in the way of the music. It can even drive an HD600 to sound good, although without as much of the volume when amped.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #335 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Predator and P-51 are a little punchier or dynamic sounding, but the iPhone 3G is still offers a very transparent and clean sound that doesn't get in the way of the music. It can even drive an HD600 to sound good, although without as much of the volume when amped.

Thank you for that!

I wasn't expecting it to sound so much better than the other iPods but was nicely surprised with the SQ even with JVC marshmallows.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #338 of 1,871
Folks, my current setup consists of iphone 3G + Mustang P-51 + Westone 3. Thinking of going back to a purist / minimalist approach, i.e. not longer using portable amp and just use the iphone's earphone out direct. Find it quite troublesome to lug ard a portable amp

Any comments how this would compare to just a iphone 3G + Westone ES3X? Will i still get improvement if compared to my previous rig (i.e. iphone 3G + Mustang P-51 + Westone 3)?

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #339 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks, my current setup consists of iphone 3G + Mustang P-51 + Westone 3. Thinking of going back to a purist / minimalist approach, i.e. not longer using portable amp and just use the iphone's earphone out direct. Find it quite troublesome to lug ard a portable amp

Any comments how this would compare to just a iphone 3G + Westone ES3X? Will i still get improvement if compared to my previous rig (i.e. iphone 3G + Mustang P-51 + Westone 3)?

Thanks!

I would pick the iPhone 3G + Westone ES3X over the iPhone 3G + P-51 + Westone 3.

But, both are great and I will take second place over everything else but the ES3X. I actually own both rigs you mentioned now.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #340 of 1,871
that was a good question from wwyjoe since i think a lot of inexperienced hobbyists are unsure of what order to purchase different items.

should i get a better amp or get better headphones to run with no amp first? etc...great to have someone with experience here.

in a similar sense, seeing as i am starting with NOTHING and working towards what i think will be a really world-class portable rig, my order of purchase will be like this, along with reasoning:

1. ES3X..... to establish baseline sound quality/signature of these IEMs from normal sources, i.e. onboard computer soundcard out and creative zen headphone out....not to mention to GET MUSIC BACK IN MY LIFE!! nothing is more painful to an audiophile than to have nothing but earbuds, lol.

2. iBasso D10..... to get top quality sound from computer via USB, thus directly comparing that to the line out from the soundcard.

3. iRiver H140..... if i can find one of these i will get it third, because although i would like to go portable right off the bat, at least i will have a transportable rig to go with a laptop if i get the IEMs and DAC/amp at the beginning.

that's my reasoning, just thought i would throw it out there, in part to help me reason a bit more as well. but yes, back to the original point, great comparison....better IEMs with no amp vs next best IEMs from same brand that are amped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #341 of 1,871
just to add....i wanted to put that in there because i think it's important that people appreciate the scale-up. i want to know how great they sound alone before i amp them and then appreciate the added value of the amp itself (and have better appreciation for that $300 gone)

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #342 of 1,871
I'm considering the exact same setup, except pairing it with an already existing iPod 5G, and using a LOD to the iBasso D10.

The only other option is an Apogee Duet (which I'd utilize from a musician standpoint for low quality demo acoustic recordings), but it's hardly as portable, and has no optical. I think the iBasso will likely win...

The ES3x would replace my Sensaphonics 2X-S, used unamped with the iPod and a MacBook Pro for the time being.

(the right earpiece of the 2X-S has developed a 13dB lower output than the left, very annoying thing that renders them useless with everything except the MacBook Pro where I can use Audio Midi Utility to even out the output differences)

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #343 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeride1685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that was a good question from wwyjoe since i think a lot of inexperienced hobbyists are unsure of what order to purchase different items.

should i get a better amp or get better headphones to run with no amp first? etc...great to have someone with experience here.

in a similar sense, seeing as i am starting with NOTHING and working towards what i think will be a really world-class portable rig, my order of purchase will be like this, along with reasoning:

1. ES3X..... to establish baseline sound quality/signature of these IEMs from normal sources, i.e. onboard computer soundcard out and creative zen headphone out....not to mention to GET MUSIC BACK IN MY LIFE!! nothing is more painful to an audiophile than to have nothing but earbuds, lol.

2. iBasso D10..... to get top quality sound from computer via USB, thus directly comparing that to the line out from the soundcard.

3. iRiver H140..... if i can find one of these i will get it third, because although i would like to go portable right off the bat, at least i will have a transportable rig to go with a laptop if i get the IEMs and DAC/amp at the beginning.

that's my reasoning, just thought i would throw it out there, in part to help me reason a bit more as well. but yes, back to the original point, great comparison....better IEMs with no amp vs next best IEMs from same brand that are amped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice plan ahead.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #344 of 1,871
Anyone here owns both IE8 and ES3X??? I would like to know how the ES3X compete against IE8 in terms of soundstage. I'd really appreciate if you can add UE11 as well

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #345 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here owns both IE8 and ES3X??? I would like to know how the ES3X compete against IE8 in terms of soundstage. I'd really appreciate if you can add UE11 as well

The IE8 soundstage/headstage is very nice, but not up the level of the ES3X. You really can't compare them. Don't have a UE11 Pro to compare.

The IE8 soundstage is still above average for an IEM, with other similarly ranked IEM for an above average soundstage size being the Westone 3, Livewires, and maybe also the Phonak Audeo (amped with grey filters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back