Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Feb 14, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #16 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soon. Don't worry, I'll post my impressions as soon as possible.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 1,871
My Westone ES3X has arrived!
I did not expect the arrival, since I got no shipping notice so this was a surprise, a good surprise
smily_headphones1.gif

But I got a notice when they've got my impressions (on Feb. 3rd) and their communication is very good.
The fitting of the custom mold is very good.

Click pictures to enlarge.

ES3X and iBasso D10, iHP140.

The left one is my UE11 I've been using it for over a year. The cable is almost worn out.

Here is my first impression. I will post more on later.
I hooked it up with my best portable setup for IEM, iHP-140+iBasso D10(w/AD8397) and iMod+P51.
First I was so surprised that the ES3X deliver a huge expansive spatial sense of openness. I couldn't believe I was listening to IEM.
Second I was impressed how ES3X deliver micro details from that blacker background. ES3X has really great resolution.
Overall the sound is sooo crisp and crystal clear, fairly tight and solid. Music sounds very realistic.
I'd say the ES3X is something like "UE11 meets ER-4S". The higher impedance works as designed I think.

Next you may say "so which is better?"
smily_headphones1.gif

This is not worse at least, could be better but depends.
Anyway I want to hold more observations for the time being.. this is fresh.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Westone ES3X has arrived!
I did not expected the arrival, since I got no shipping notice so this was a surprise, a good surprise
smily_headphones1.gif

But I got a notice when they've got my impressions (on Feb. 3rd) and their communication is very good.
The fitting of the custom mold is very good.

Click pictures to enlarge.

ES3X and iBasso D10, iHP140.

The left one is my UE11 I've been using it for over a year. The cable is almost worn out.

Here is my first impression. I will post more on later.
I hooked it up with my best portable setup for IEM, iHP-140+iBasso D10(w/AD8397) and iMod+P51.
First I was so surprised that the ES3X deliver a huge expansive spatial sense of openness. I couldn't believe I was listening to IEM.
Second I was impressed how ES3X deliver micro details from that blacker background. ES3X has really great resolution.
Overall the sound is sooo crisp and crystal clear, fairly tight and solid. Music sounds very realistic.
I'd say the ES3X is something like "UE11 meets ER-4S". The higher impedance works as designed I think.

smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to hear more since one of these two are going to be what I'm choosing next. Is that the clear wire you chose and it turned green? It actually looks pretty neat. No idea if that oxidation is just aesthetic or not.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #20 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the clear wire you chose and it turned green? It actually looks pretty neat. No idea if that oxidation is just aesthetic or not.

Pretty sure that is the clear cable with oxidation.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the clear wire you chose and it turned green? It actually looks pretty neat. No idea if that oxidation is just aesthetic or not.

Yes, UE cable is not good..

Alex, I need your new UE cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 1,871
Sasaki,

Thank you so much for the first impressions, I really appreciate it. I am anxious to hear your impressions after 50-100 hours of break-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ruby

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sasaki,

Any following thoughts? How did the weekend treat you? I am anxious to hear how the sound of the ES3X is progressing with burn-in.

Ruby

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #25 of 1,871
sasaki : looking forward to your further comparisons on ES3X and UE11

normal_smile .gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #26 of 1,871
Wow, just noticed that you have the UE11. Nice! I can't wait for a comparison.

My worry on the UE11 is that it's far too bass heavy, and I do like a prominent midrange that Westones usually have. So if the ES3x is on the whole on the same level, and isn't as bass heavy and is more midrange-forward, then it will be right up my alley.

Nice to hear about microdetail retreival as well; I always felt the ES2 could use a bit more of that.

Sounds like a very promising IEM and is likely to be my next headphone.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #27 of 1,871
Boris, have you ever thought about ACS T1? From the impressions I have been reading, they really seem what you are looking for.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #29 of 1,871
i'm a gonner :eeks:

its all I can think about; i'm coming into some money in a few weeks, so I really think its time I went ful custom. since i've now been using custrom tips for a while on my W3, I know I like the westone 'custom' SQ. had been thinking of UE10 or these, but I think i'll be going for ES3X. UE11 doesnt appeal; I dont think I would like the amount of bass. I would probably end up eq'ing it out and then why bother. so UE10 or these it is. with these in the lead. just a question for you custom owners. i'm 35 yeah; now I know that with customs you really need to get a new pair every couple of years and you obviously cant do anything with the old ones. but just wondering; is it possible to get them re-shelled?? I mean there are services for putting universals in full custom shells, like ER4 custom, so can you do this?? because I dont like the idea of throwing nearly a grand away for a couple of years. although I have done similar things before. but it would seal the deal if this was possible. also; anyone know if westone have custom artwork options like other companies like UE, HY etc. this isnt a deal breaker, but would def be cool since i'm a former grapghic designer and I like to keep my hand in. was thinking of getting a mobius on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back