Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Dec 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #1,861 of 1,871

Quote:
Right, my ES3X arrived a while ago. They go with iMod and p-51. I was blown away when I've heard them for the first time. The differences between those customs and Westone 3 are far beyond the ones I expected.
Anyway, here's my toy. Custom artwork done by Variphone.

Wow, what a nice pict again here, Is it from you, ou taken from PCLab ?

deadhorse.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #1,862 of 1,871

Quote:
Skullbox:  90 day refund? You are quoting a post from August 25, 2009. Stop this nonsensical conversation with yourself. Wake up!

Oh very sorry then! Happy new year! 

wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,868 of 1,871
Hi, sorry for bumping old thread

I have a UM-remolded es3x that i have stored away for a really long time with a diy cable dettached from the body

Now that i already forgot, Can someone inform me the pin config of the IEM to attach the cable (which one is signal, which one is ground)?

Because i cant tell by the cable (no marking whatsoever at the cable-end)
And it sounds different if i reverse the pin but not necessarily better

Thank you

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,869 of 1,871
The um3x has been my favorate iem for many years. I just go a pair of am30 especting them to sound identical to the um30 on which they are based on. Westone claims active passive fliters SLED should let in amibant noise without changing the fequency response. I went to my local store and did a detailed ab comparison betweeen the um30 and my ac30 and to my suprice they sounded quiet differrent. The former has a much smaller soundstage with slightly more bass. The former has a much larger soundstage and with significally more treble but also more sibilant and much more prone to hiss. They are also much better made than the um30 and um30x. The plastic used seem much thicker and the connectors are tighter meaning they don't swivel as easily and no sign of gap between the connecvtors. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #1,870 of 1,871
Hi, sorry for bumping old thread

I have a UM-remolded es3x that i have stored away for a really long time with a diy cable dettached from the body

Now that i already forgot, Can someone inform me the pin config of the IEM to attach the cable (which one is signal, which one is ground)?

Because i cant tell by the cable (no marking whatsoever at the cable-end)
And it sounds different if i reverse the pin but not necessarily better

Thank you

Wow you must be in a possession of a lot of high-end gear if you could afford to leave a pair of re-shelled es3x stored away and not considered using it til now!

By the sound of it, your poor sockets probably have gone loose by now from trial and error.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #1,871 of 1,871
I just back my re-shelled es3x from inearz and they sound just as I'd expect having previous owned a pair of um3x and current pair of am3pro. 

If there's anything the am30pro does better than the es3x and um3x is that it has a bigger soundstage with more air.

So I have now officially owned ever variant. 
Universal: um3x rc = um30pro
Universal with ambient port= am30pro
Custom: es3x = es30 

In order from best to worst
1) es3x (no surprise here): further improves on um3x, mainly clearer background and way more resolution. 
2) um3x: IMO the great universal of all time regardless of price. 
3) am30pro: brighter and airier with noticeable larger soundstage, lacks bass & body, slightly less forward mids, extracts more detail than the um3x but introduces more sibilant, less isolation which is a given due to the ambient port (my least favorite variant but still a great iem. 

Westone w3 would be number 3 if it were in the family. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back