Westone 4R: Westone 4 + Removable cable
Nov 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #61 of 150
I found this description of the 4R on Engadget link

It just says that the 4R will be $50 more expensive, come with removable cable, and have "achieve an extremely tight tolerance of +/- 2dB between earpieces".

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #62 of 150

Quote:
I found this description of the 4R on Engadget link

It just says that the 4R will be $50 more expensive, come with removable cable, and have "achieve an extremely tight tolerance of +/- 2dB between earpieces".

"achieve an extremely tight tolerance of +/- 2dB between earpieces" -> This is the smallest discernable difference between right and left sides by the human auditory system.

All headphones and especially IEMs made of decent quality should have a difference of less than 2 db between right R and L sides. This is just a marketing scheme. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #64 of 150
my UM3X lasted 2 years before the cable on the plug "ripped" which made me reshell them. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #65 of 150
I picked up a set of the UM3x's a little over a year ago.  The right ear piece failed after about 6 months of near daily use on my commute to work.  I thought it was the cable at first, but I after testing it was the ear piece.  I contacted westone and I the issue was resolved in just over a week.  Their customer service rep was very nice, and they were fairly prompt with service.  Since then I have had no issues with the IEM's.  However, I really want to try out the 4r's because of the added low end driver.  The one thing I wish the UM3x's had was a touch more bass.  Between cycling and audiophile gear, my bank account hates me.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #67 of 150

Quote:
The only Westone IEMs I owned that have replaceable cables are the UM3X, and I have to have them replaced twice within the first year due to failed drivers and broken cable. I've never had any problems with my UM2 until after I've had them for nearly 3 years, then the cable broke and as the warranty had expired, I was lucky to have found someone who was able to fix them for me. With the Westone 4, touch wood, I'm happy to say that they are as good as as new so far since I got them nearly a year ago. But if I had the choice, I'd definitely get the RC version instead, as good and durable as the fixed cables are, they will still get broken one day and it'll very likely be after the warranty has expired. And if the cable broke near to the driver, it'll be a hard (and expensive) job to get them repaired.
Just for the record, I dislike the replaceable cable of my UM3X, as one of the drivers get detached from the cable quite easily, and i find the moldable ear rests very uncomfortable.

i must say i detest cables with the memory wire, unneeded if the cabling is routed to the back and it interferes with fit too

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #68 of 150
Totally agreed, has anyone here managed to remove the memory wire successfully? Quite tempted to to it to my UM3X cable. Seems like all the Westone and UE removable cables come with memory wires, my original UM2s and Westone 4s are much more comfortable to wear.

i must say i detest cables with the memory wire, unneeded if the cabling is routed to the back and it interferes with fit too

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #69 of 150
Quote:
Totally agreed, has anyone here managed to remove the memory wire successfully? Quite tempted to to it to my UM3X cable. Seems like all the Westone and UE removable cables come with memory wires, my original UM2s and Westone 4s are much more comfortable to wear.

I've done it multiple times with all my braided Westone-esque cables. It's quite simple. Take an x-acto knife and carefully work your way around the base of the plastic tubing surrounding the wire in a circular fashion, until it's safely removed. Then, you'll find the silver, thin memory wire itself, which after a bit of bending front to back will naturally come unattached. No more irritating discomfort. 
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #71 of 150

Quote:

Yup, hated it on the shure 215 (memory wire AND swivel connecter = hell) and now hate it on customs I have.  It's got to go behind the ears so what's the point?  Now convinced it's that that's not helping with the fit.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #72 of 150
Yeah the Shure memory wire/swivel combination is an abomination. That being said, I feel like the phones are more of an investment if they have removable cables... Not that I've ever kept the same phone long enough to need to replace the cables!!

Quote:
Yup, hated it on the shure 215 (memory wire AND swivel connecter = hell) and now hate it on customs I have.  It's got to go behind the ears so what's the point?  Now convinced it's that that's not helping with the fit.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #73 of 150

Quote:
Yeah the Shure memory wire/swivel combination is an abomination. That being said, I feel like the phones are more of an investment if they have removable cables... Not that I've ever kept the same phone long enough to need to replace the cables!!

See I'd rather have a decent guarantee.  Iheadphones swopped out 2 sets of faulty westones for me no questions asked.  Rather have that then bloody memory wire.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #74 of 150

Quote:
See I'd rather have a decent guarantee.  Iheadphones swopped out 2 sets of faulty westones for me no questions asked.  Rather have that then bloody memory wire.

just give me removable cable, with non of the memory wire stuff, removable is a plus in my book 

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #75 of 150
FWIW, earphonesolutions are having a 25% pre/post black friday sale and the W4R are going for just USD$375 and the W4 going for USD$337.

Those who have been itching for an audition of these owe it to yourselves to check it out, just use the code: black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back