Westone 4R: Westone 4 + Removable cable
Oct 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 150
Main post updated with product description off Westone.com.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #19 of 150
Mostly for peace of mind? I happen to like the option of being able to replace my own cables in case of failure - the part of the wire that wraps around the ear tends to suffer from cracking over time despite the best care - it's just wear and tear. I also really like the guide wires - I know some people absolutely hate em, but I like the snug fit they give around the ears. 

Quote:
Why? 

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #20 of 150
"Slight errors in sound."  (??)

I say B.S.

After all that R&D and release of a product to then say we got another version because we screwed up the first.  Too funny...

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #22 of 150

Quote:
"Slight errors in sound."  (??)

I say B.S.

After all that R&D and release of a product to then say we got another version because we screwed up the first.  Too funny...

Well it does seem like the W4 is a love-or-hate type headphone so maybe Westone is taking customer feedback into account and tweaking the sound signature to be slightly safer?

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 150

Maybe its so love it or hate it because there are some less quality, production runs out there. I know its not a blingy earphone but I'm suprised by some of the negative reactions to it. There are times I've found it jaw dropping good. Others though have seemed to have found it jaw dropping not good. Maybe the matching sides is because they've found more variation in samples than they've liked. Just conjecture.

Quote:
Well it does seem like the W4 is a love-or-hate type headphone so maybe Westone is taking customer feedback into account and tweaking the sound signature to be slightly safer?

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 150

Quote:

The quoted source still isn't for sure - although if it were true, it wouldn't be an unheard thing to do - Earsonics did the same thing with the SM3 with the SM3 V2. 

Then one must wonder if the R stands for removable cable (which is strange because it should be RC) or if it actually stands for something else (R=Revised)?

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #25 of 150

Quote:

The quoted source still isn't for sure - although if it were true, it wouldn't be an unheard thing to do - Earsonics did the same thing with the SM3 with the SM3 V2. 

Then one must wonder if the R stands for removable cable (which is strange because it should be RC) or if it actually stands for something else (R=Revised)?

That is disturbing indeed. The specifications are exactly the same as the W4s except for "Acoustic Symmetry +/- 2dB acoustically matched earpieces". 

It does sound like marketing speak to me though.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #26 of 150
Sounds similar to what Etymotic has done with the ER4P to ER4PT. Same internals, same tuning, just a piece of paper guaranteeing the two sides have been matched...

Quote:
That is disturbing indeed. The specifications are exactly the same as the W4s except for "Acoustic Symmetry +/- 2dB acoustically matched earpieces". 

It does sound like marketing speak to me though.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #28 of 150
It's like COSC for IEM's...

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #29 of 150
I think it it were a sq change or a different or tweaked sound....it would be called a different IEM all together.  If the R were to mean revised I think it would be a marketing blunder....bigtime.

Adding RC and throwing in a lame certificate so they can charge another $100 is unimpressive.

Matching drivers is a marketing scam.  Whether they are matched or not is not audible to the ears and even any perceptible difference would be due to the inexactness of a universal fit, not the drivers.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #30 of 150

Quote:
Sounds similar to what Etymotic has done with the ER4P to ER4PT. Same internals, same tuning, just a piece of paper guaranteeing the two sides have been matched...

That is news to me indeed! Any impressions of how e ER4P did differ from e ER4PT in that instance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back