Westone 4 vs Shure SE535 comparison - Will update as I go along
Jul 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #76 of 107

Quote:
I'd say the Westone 4 is more detailed and has more accurate imaging, but the Se535 has more exciting imaging with more sparkle, stronger mids (perhaps a tad too strong) and more bass impact. W4 however has better instrumental separation, a much wider sound stage and more balanced sound across the board. Only negative for me is the bass, even EQ'd it's still not punchy enough, though it does have excellent control and texture.

I was using both earphones straight out of the iPhone 4. My JDS cMoyBB 2.03 should arrive in a few days and then my RSA SR-71A a few days after that. So I'll report back with findings once they arrive.

Here are the final EQ settings I used for each IEM straight out of the iPhone 4 using EQu at 'loud' preset.

That's playing it safe and balanced. But personally, what with having a slight affection towards bass, I go for this with my W4's.

For the SE535's.

Thanks Naim, have you try the Fiio E1 portable amp with your W4? When I had my W4 that little amp added a bit of bass impact and sparkles to the presentation. What I like about it is the fact it is tiny and has a remote control line function built in. It's great when you don't feel like lugging a big amp around, they're only $22 USD and available at Fulcrum Audio

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #77 of 107
Haven't tried the Filo amp yet, but I have been testing out my new JDS cMoyBB 2.03 with a 18 AWG braided Viablue LOD.

Made more of a difference than I anticipated it would. if I'm honest, I thought it would make hardly any difference, but in truth the cMoy thoroughly impressed. Will do a separate review for it later, but with respect to this thread, the Westone 4's definitely sound more defined and dominant with the portable amp. On some songs there's less of a difference, but then in others things sound completely different. Instruments that were in the distance or very faint before suddenly come alive. Sounds that were more narrow or congested open up and bellow more. Bass is where the real improvement is. Straight out of the iPhone the W4's bass is rather timid. Via the cMoy (without bass boost activated) the bass is much more punchy and vivid. It still lacks a touch on the low bass, but upper bass is riveting. EQ'ing also doesn't make as much of a difference as it does straight out of the iPhone (in other words everything has more bite via the amp compared to straight out of the iPhone), but I do still recommend EQ'ing just to clean things up a notch and add some lower bass spread.

If I could sum up the difference the cMoy has made thus far, I'd say it's separated instruments and sounds out a bit more, and added a touch more dramatism to all frequencies. Each instrument in a track is now more prominent and easier to make out, whilst still not drowning out the vocals. There's slightly less of a veil as well. In some songs the differences are small, others they're quite large (to my ears anyway). Definitely very happy with the results. Will continue further testing and write a separate review for the cMoy. Going to compare it with the SR-71A (and other headphones) next.

Haven't had a chance to test it with the SE535 yet.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #79 of 107

Quote:
I want to give the SE535 a listen. $419 is the best price I'm getting from google product search.

Go used IMO, i got them under $300
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #80 of 107
I'm selling mine, although not for $300!! :)  I'm going to be putting them up in the For Sale forum today or tomorrow.  They are 5 weeks old and like new, but I'm going to give the W4's another try so am swapping them around.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #82 of 107
Tried the cMoy with the SE535's and didn't notice as much of a difference. Whilst it was only a brief listen, my assumption is that the SE535's do not benefit from being amped as much as the Westone 4's. I am not entirely surprised by this as even un-amped, the SE535's seem to be a more efficient IEM than the Westone 4's. But to the W4's defence, there's a bit more room for growth via an amp.

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #83 of 107
Just started using my W4s with Earsonics Bi-flanges and have to say they are the best sleeves for W4s. I was previously using Shure olives with them but they felt kind of veiled. (Have also used complys, shure grey sleeves, shure tri-flanges both full size and cut down, etc)

Highly recommend them for W4s. Haven't tried them on my SE530s yet.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #84 of 107

Quote:
Just started using my W4s with Earsonics Bi-flanges and have to say they are the best sleeves for W4s. I was previously using Shure olives with them but they felt kind of veiled. (Have also used complys, shure grey sleeves, shure tri-flanges both full size and cut down, etc)

Highly recommend them for W4s. Haven't tried them on my SE530s yet.

Bi-flanges reduce bass impact a little more than I'd like, which is why I tend to stick to Olives. But I do agree they are a tad cleaner.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #85 of 107
I use the olives as well, but does anyone know if the Klipsch tips work well with the SE535?  When I had the S4i I remember them being more comfortable than the olives.

Quote:

Bi-flanges reduce bass impact a little more than I'd like, which is why I tend to stick to Olives. But I do agree they are a tad cleaner.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #86 of 107
nice posts in here

My only recommendation to you is buy um56 custom tips RIGHT NOW.   They are cheap and work on shure and westone and totally destroy any type of flange, foam, etc.  My audiologist did the molds free and $90us for the tips, I ordered it all through the audiologist.

Its the best of both worlds, custom fit and you can still ebay the iem afterwards without taking a huge hit because they are molded.

I am very happy with the W4 + um56 combo (had um3x, 530, some cheap crap...going to borrow some 535s from someone) - bought some monster coppers for the lulz, returning them tomorrow.  They actually sound decent, but I would need to order another set of custom tips for them.  I really want a dynamic iem, but I need to get one with the same stem size as the W4 I think.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #87 of 107

Quote:
nice posts in here

My only recommendation to you is buy um56 custom tips RIGHT NOW.   They are cheap and work on shure and westone and totally destroy any type of flange, foam, etc.  My audiologist did the molds free and $90us for the tips, I ordered it all through the audiologist.

Its the best of both worlds, custom fit and you can still ebay the iem afterwards without taking a huge hit because they are molded.

I am very happy with the W4 + um56 combo (had um3x, 530, some cheap crap...going to borrow some 535s from someone) - bought some monster coppers for the lulz, returning them tomorrow.  They actually sound decent, but I would need to order another set of custom tips for them.  I really want a dynamic iem, but I need to get one with the same stem size as the W4 I think.

Any place to order them in the UK? Just found out a friend of mine is an audiologist, so I might be able to get some done for free through her. Though from what she's told me she's travelling all over Europe moulding for musicians and professionals ears on tours etc, so might be a bit hard to get hold of. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #88 of 107
Ok, so I've been comparing the JDS cMoyBB with the RSA SR-71a for the last few hours using the W4's. Certainly surprising and rewarding results. Will post impressions in due course, but in a new review thread specific to the amps.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #90 of 107

Quote:
Going to add ALO Continental impressions for these. And later (fingers crossed) iBasso DX100 too.

I will be extremely interested in your review of the ALO Continental for the W4s. As I am in the market to buy the same. As you know from my earlier posts, I am/was a huge W4 fan, but I have really got the red 535s to sing with cable changes etc. Looking to focus on the W4s now and gain every ounce of improvement I can get and the ALO was one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back