Westone 4 vs Shure SE535 comparison - Will update as I go along
Jul 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #61 of 107
I think if that is the plan, it would be appropriate to ask the shop for returned or demo pairs to sample both. Get a deal and keep one or return both and get a new replacement for the one you like. Returns should be considered for dissatisfaction and not sampling. Honestly, at some point everybody pays a bit more if too many use a return policy for open auditions on sealed product.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #62 of 107

Quote:
I think if that is the plan, it would be appropriate to ask the shop for returned or demo pairs to sample both. Get a deal and keep one or return both and get a new replacement for the one you like. Returns should be considered for dissatisfaction and not sampling. Honestly, at some point everybody pays a bit more if too many use a return policy for open auditions on sealed product.

Agreed. Do such sites not offer demo or audition versions? I.e that you pay full price for but can return  to swap for a brand new one.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #63 of 107
I think one of the problems of Eq-ing IEMs is that you shift the positioning of the instruments as intended on the original. I have tried Eq and always revert back to a flat curve. Try some old mono recordings and start playing with the Eq settings and you surely hear certain instruments moving to the forefront and others moving away. I can understand eliminating sibilance but that's the problem of a poorly recorded music. 

As mentioned in an earlier post of mine, W4s has to be played loud before the full dynamics of the earphone is realized. To my ears there's more than enough dynamics and slam as one would expect from IEMs. All in all, W4s are not restricted to classical music, but are pretty good with all genres of music. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #64 of 107

Quote:
I think one of the problems of Eq-ing IEMs is that you shift the positioning of the instruments as intended on the original. I have tried Eq and always revert back to a flat curve. Try some old mono recordings and start playing with the Eq settings and you surely hear certain instruments moving to the forefront and others moving away. I can understand eliminating sibilance but that's the problem of a poorly recorded music. 

As mentioned in an earlier post of mine, W4s has to be played loud before the full dynamics of the earphone is realized. To my ears there's more than enough dynamics and slam as one would expect from IEMs. All in all, W4s are not restricted to classical music, but are pretty good with all genres of music. 

I'm not a big fan of playing my music too loud. Want to preserve my hearing as well till I'm old and grey lol. That said, for the me the slight cloudy veil the W4's have without EQ'ing bothers me somewhat. I mean, it's not a game breaker, but it's enough to make me prefer the SE535 (unEQ'd only mind). When both are EQ'd though, the Westone 4 just reaches out and caresses my eardrums whilst whispering sweet somethings. Listening to music A/B comparing flat to EQ, it's a big difference. I can hear more details, a wider soundstage and more natural vocals with my EQ. High's also have more sparkle and bass more prominence. But mostly everything just sounds a bit cleaner and more defined.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #66 of 107

Quote:
The 535 will always sound better than the W4s at low volume.......no two ways about it. EQed or not. 

That's disappointing but what can you do? Enjoying my Westone 4's way too much too care right now. Out of curiosity would amping the Westone 4's improve the SQ at lower volumes at all? They need around 20% extra volume to reach the same levels of loudness as the SE535 at any given volume straight out of the iPhone 4.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #67 of 107

Quote:

X2

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #68 of 107
I would imagine so.......but have never tried. However with references to difficult to drive, inefficient speakers one must use an SS amplifier with good current storage and can grip and control the speakers. A high damping factor. Krell industries amps made its name in the 80s for being able to take control of the super inefficient Apogees speakers.  W4s, from what I have read are inefficient IEMs, so would the same work with a decent head amp......I think so.  I read in one of your earlier posts that you were about to investigate different amps, would be interesting to read your findings.

spkrs01

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #69 of 107

Quote:
I would imagine so.......but have never tried. However with references to difficult to drive, inefficient speakers one must use an SS amplifier with good current storage and can grip and control the speakers. A high damping factor. Krell industries amps made its name in the 80s for being able to take control of the super inefficient Apogees speakers.  W4s, from what I have read are inefficient IEMs, so would the same work with a decent head amp......I think so.  I read in one of your earlier posts that you were about to investigate different amps, would be interesting to read your findings.

spkrs01

Well I should have access to a range of amps soon (ALO RX MkII, SR-71B, PB2 etc) so hopefully can chime in with thoughts later. But getting hold of them all for testing is not a guaranteed thing yet. First need to settle on one to buy for myself lol.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #70 of 107
The shocking thing is....after all these comparisons....I'm still not really sure which to keep or sell on lol. Still love both for different reasons. If money was no object I'd just keep both...

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #72 of 107

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of playing my music too loud. Want to preserve my hearing as well till I'm old and grey lol. That said, for the me the slight cloudy veil the W4's have without EQ'ing bothers me somewhat. I mean, it's not a game breaker, but it's enough to make me prefer the SE535 (unEQ'd only mind). When both are EQ'd though, the Westone 4 just reaches out and caresses my eardrums whilst whispering sweet somethings. Listening to music A/B comparing flat to EQ, it's a big difference. I can hear more details, a wider soundstage and more natural vocals with my EQ. High's also have more sparkle and bass more prominence. But mostly everything just sounds a bit cleaner and more defined.

What player were you using when you EQ'd the W4s? Was it still the Iphone 4?

Also what were your EQ settings for them if you don't mind me asking.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #74 of 107

Quote:
Hey Naim, which one has better imaging and details?

I'd say the Westone 4 is more detailed and has more accurate imaging, but the Se535 has more exciting imaging with more sparkle, stronger mids (perhaps a tad too strong) and more bass impact. W4 however has better instrumental separation, a much wider sound stage and more balanced sound across the board. Only negative for me is the bass, even EQ'd it's still not punchy enough, though it does have excellent control and texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What player were you using when you EQ'd the W4s? Was it still the Iphone 4?

Also what were your EQ settings for them if you don't mind me asking.

I was using both earphones straight out of the iPhone 4. My JDS cMoyBB 2.03 should arrive in a few days and then my RSA SR-71A a few days after that. So I'll report back with findings once they arrive.

Here are the final EQ settings I used for each IEM straight out of the iPhone 4 using EQu at 'loud' preset.

That's playing it safe and balanced. But personally, what with having a slight affection towards bass, I go for this with my W4's.

For the SE535's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back