Westone 4 vs Shure SE535 comparison - Will update as I go along
Jul 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 107

Quote:
How does the mids of UE SF5Pro compare to SE535? Just so I can get a clearer 'picture' of the amount of mids discussed in the comparo (I don't have the W4 and SE535 but I own the UE SF5v2).

TIA!

and thanks for the impressions, good read!

I'm afraid I don't own them anymore so can't really say. I just remember the Super.Fi's were too lively for me. At the time I opted for the SE310's over the SF5 Pro's as I felt the latter could be too overbearing or slightly too busy. I don't get the same issue with the SE535's which whilst brighter than the W4's, do not have an issue with detailing or instrumental separation which I felt the SF5 Pro's at times did.

On a side note, forgot to mention, interestingly enough, the W4's actually have slightly more of a veil than the SE535's. They actually sound warmer overall and not quite as clear in terms of veiling.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 107
Too busy... brighter than W4... not quite as clear in terms of veiling...
You got my attention :D
popcorn.gif

p.s. You have to update your profile? :p

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 107

Quote:
Too busy... brighter than W4... not quite as clear in terms of veiling...
You got my attention :D
popcorn.gif

p.s. You have to update your profile? :p

Lol I do indeed. This was my comparison of the SE310's and Super.Fi Pro's aeon's ago!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/327127/if-i-prefer-the-se310-to-the-super-fi-pro-5-will-i-prefer-the-se530-s-to-the-triple-fi-pro-10-s

I'll try and summarise my thoughts so far on the W4 and SE535.

---

Westone 4: Extremely articulate and analytical signature. Great instrumental separation, wide, airy soundstage and detailing but imo at the expense of some vibrancy and musical fun. The audio signature is flat to slightly instrumental heavy (as oppose to vocals or bass). Clarity is fantastic, though nothing really pop's. Everything is smooth, well behaved or even timid. High's lack the ut-most sparkle and bass doesn't have exacting punch, though both are still very controlled and balanced. Vocals are textured and smooth but sometimes emphasis is drawn away in favour of other instruments. Slight veil over sonic presentation adding some warmth.

Who is it for? Those who want optimum instrumental separation in music or like to pin point all the possible different sounds being thrown at them. Also those who want a comfortable laid back presentation without any danger of overly exciting elements. I guess ideally these earphones would be good for those who are in to classical music where pin point definition and smoothness could be quite important.

---

Shure SE535: A mostly neutral, well defined signature with emphasis on mids. This is a fun listening earphone that offers a good balance of excitement and detailing without becoming un-balanced or sonically un-true. High's have some sparkle but not enough to fatigue or to offer aggressive sibilance. Mids are deliciously rich and lush, though ever so slightly overpowering. Bass is refined and fast, with a decent amount of punch, but nothing that will cause offense. Sound stage ins't as wide as with some of the competition. Overall feel being one that is more controlled and defined, not very open, overly relaxed and airy, but instead clean, composed and direct.

Who is it for? People who want a relatively neutral sounding earphone whilst maintaining some degree of fun or vibrancy, without sacrificing detailing. This is a fun sounding earphone with a good amount of top end in all areas but in a more controlled sonic environment, with a very slight over emphasis on mids. For those who love to see vocals soar, or like bass dependant modern music, but want to retain clarity and detail, (such as with Hip Hop, Drum and Bass, Dubstep, indie, alternative rock etc) these are for you. You'll get most of that bite and impact without losing the subtleties.

---

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #19 of 107

Quote:

I'm afraid I don't own them anymore so can't really say. I just remember the Super.Fi's were too lively for me. At the time I opted for the SE310's over the SF5 Pro's as I felt the latter could be too overbearing or slightly too busy. I don't get the same issue with the SE535's which whilst brighter than the W4's, do not have an issue with detailing or instrumental separation which I felt the SF5 Pro's at times did.

On a side note, forgot to mention, interestingly enough, the W4's actually have slightly more of a veil than the SE535's. They actually sound warmer overall and not quite as clear in terms of veiling.

Hey Naim.F.C. , thanks for the nice comparison between the W4 and the SE 535. It's interesting that the SE 535 is brighter than the W4. Would you say the SE 535 is more transparent than the W4 in the overall presentation? Thanks.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #22 of 107

Quote:
Hey Naim.F.C. , thanks for the nice comparison between the W4 and the SE 535. It's interesting that the SE 535 is brighter than the W4. Would you say the SE 535 is more transparent than the W4 in the overall presentation? Thanks.

I would say so yes. The W4 definitely has a bit more of a veil to it. That said, it is still slightly more detailed with respect to instrument separation because of the laid back nature of it's audio note and soundstage. When you don't have bass, highs or mids really grabbing for attention, and a more airy soundstage, naturally everything is more articulate, just not especially exciting. Though I do feel because of it the W4 tends to favour tertiary instruments or backing sounds more than it ought to. But some people may warm to that, and be put off by the SE535's more luscious forward mids, slightly more sparkly highs and more impactful bass. Really, the ideal earphone lies somewhere between the two of these.

One thing I do find strange on these forums is that people champion the W4's as not being laid back/timid in audio note, just balanced. But then by the same token they will say their customs [insert name here] still have much more sparkly high's and much greater bass definition. My question would be, how then is it balanced and not laid back if better earphones (generally customs) handle the same frequencies substantially more prominently? Surely then the latter, more exciting note is truer and also more balanced?

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #23 of 107

Quote:
Great review.  I think it is spot on.  Totally agree.

Whilst testing the earphones and writing out my impressions, I must admit, I remember thinking we shared a lot of opinions in common. On reflection you and I did indeed have very similar opinions with both earphones. One of the reasons why I'm more compelled to try customs now, as you were quite quick to recommend them.

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #24 of 107
W4 is REALY, REALLY refined and smooth and professional sounding.  SE535, not quite as much but a bit more fun...while still retaining a large degree of balance and neutrality.  SE535 cord is too long and bulky and the ear memory was annoying and uncomfy to me.  W4 much more comfy.

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 107

Quote:
W4 is REALY, REALLY refined and smooth and professional sounding.  SE535, not quite as much but a bit more fun...while still retaining a large degree of balance and neutrality.  SE535 cord is too long and bulky and the ear memory was annoying and uncomfy to me.  W4 much more comfy.

I find the W4's slightly more comfortable than the se535's, but find the seal much better on the Shure's. The cabling and memory wire hasn't really caused me any problems. I do actually have a third party set of cables for it now, and have tested them, will post impressions later.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #26 of 107
I contacted Earphone Solutions for their suggestions on W4 vs Shure 535 for listening to large symphonies, opera and jazz.  Their recommendation was the W4 even though I told them I currently used the UM3X.  Apparently, the W4 will bebetter for this type music, so you classical/jazz lovers may want to chose the W4. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #27 of 107
I have the W4 now and predominantly listen to classical, so this is quite interesting to read this post.  I decided to give the SE535 another try (thanks to this thread) and have a set coming tomorrow.  I think that now knowing what Earphone Solutions said, I'll be interested to see if I agree or if I find that I like the SE535 more. 

Quote:
I contacted Earphone Solutions for their suggestions on W4 vs Shure 535 for listening to large symphonies, opera and jazz.  Their recommendation was the W4 even though I told them I currently used the UM3X.  Apparently, the W4 will bebetter for this type music, so you classical/jazz lovers may want to chose the W4. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 107

Quote:

Whilst I'm not sure about Jazz (haven't tested enough of it), my first post summary on this page essentially states the same. Indeed I do feel the Westone 4 may suit classical music more due to the reasons outlined. Classical music ins't necessarily about the punch or sparkle, about being crisp and energetic (characteristics favouring the SE535). It's about smoothness, texture, instrumental separation (characteristics favouring the W4's). However with more modern types of music I think the SE535 would be better suited (again, reasons going back to my first post above). 

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #29 of 107
The SE535 is warm and vibrant and pairs better with rock

So sez the folk at Earphone Solutions.  SOOO am taking advantage of their sale that ends July 8 and buying the W4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back