Westone 4 or Grado GR10 ? (Birthday present for an audio nut !)
Sep 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

50mm

New Head-Fier
Can someone advise which would be a better IEM, considering both are priced around the $400 price bracket ? (The Westone 4 is about fifty bucks more, but that's OK).

I am buying it as a present, for an audio nut, who loves listening to his 'full-range' (single driver) speakers, driven with very nice tube amps, running off Linn Sondek LP player...........so you can imagine the kind of sound signature he is used to........and needs a good IEM for travels.

He has tried several IEMs, like Sennheiser, TEAC, Jays, but have not gone down the Westone or Grado path yet.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 4
The W4 is overall a much better option. It's more comfortable, provides a better sense of ambiance, and comes with a much better set of accessories. The one area where it will lose out to the GR10 is in clarity, but I think the W4 may still be better suited for your friend's tastes. There are a few members with lengthy ownership experiences with both IEMs, however, and you may want to wait for their input.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 4
I owned both and preferred GR10 due to exceptional clarity and musicality.  I found W4 somewhat dark and veiled sounding but many others swear by them. 

Sorry I ever sold my GR10's and they are too expensive to re-buy.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 4
I don't think either is a bad choice. I had the GR10 on loan for 3-4 weeks while I owned the W4 and both are very good imo. I found the W4 to be fairly balanced with a bit of warmth and the GR10 has amazing clarity and transparency.

However for a gift the GR10 may be the better choice if your friend is not used to wearing earphones over the ear since that is the only option with them. I don't think you can go wrong with either however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back