Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,366 of 5,568
Quote:
Hmm.... I also compared the JH by memory to UM models.

The Merlin's were pretty bass heavy, so if you are a purist stay clear. However the Merlins still have clear mids and good enough head stage. (Good perhaps even great but for bassheads!)

The Miracles just didn't want to fit in my ears so I couldn't try them.

The 3DD in comparison to the Merlin has a weird/wonky sounding mids and also a veil to the entire sound.

The Mage had the tonal balance I like (slight elevation in bass) however the lack of clarity in the midrange was a deal breaker for me.

I would say this to all. In my books, the JH7 sounded best to me (I'm getting them!) and followed by the Merlins (only if you don't mind extra bass, which I kinda mind) then the JH5, then UM Mage and lastly the 3DD which sounded just downright wrong to me. (Poor fit? Maybe.)

TL;DR
1. JH7
2.UM Merlin
3.JH5
4.UM Mage
5. UM 3DD

This list excludes the Jh10/10x3/11/13/16 and UM Miracles/Aero/Marvel.

Btw, just a small tip off! Jerry is coming out with a new flagship in October!

Thanks cool post!   Am attracted more toward a clear, good high sound signature like ER4s (or P) awesome indeed, but with little more bass. 

Like I said, comming from W4r, for my first jump in the CIEM arena, I was tempted to go with JH5 (similar price range, tag) or go with JH13 w/ P-51 Mustang amp. and a Twag cable.

http://www.headfonia.com/um-mage-customs/

biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,367 of 5,568
The 4r are my first venture into Westone iems and I am currently getting adjusted to the sound. I have settled on the blue star tips and the isolation is very good. I am really enjoying the sound directly (flac via poweramp) from my SGS4 and I am patiently awaiting my pico dac/amp (which should be shipping on Monday) to see how utilizing otg audio to the pico will affect the sound.

Regarding the ciem's I have been eyeing the JH13's and hope to order a pair in December.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,368 of 5,568
I finally got some W4Rs and I like them a lot.  I was on the fence with going custom, but this way I can do different tips.

I think the wife is going to go with CIEMs, and leaning towards 1964ears V3s.  It may be JH5s though.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #4,369 of 5,568
The mids of the UM3DD is really weird in their Demo on our local shop here (Stereo Singapore). I was playing some songs with great mids, W4 and SM64 are on par, then going to UM 3DD, it went downhill from there. The mids in the 3DD is spread across, like when you hear one voice in the center for W4 and SM64, but in the 3DD is like panned left-right across on front. The W4 and SM64 mids are on the center of your head, while the 3DD is in the slightly down front.

I have the JH16 and it has neutral mids, meaning they are not sweet-sounding like the W4 or SM64, but it shines on instrument separation and detail reatrieval very well. Compared to the W4 and SM64, it's really a hair better sonically. I have the JH16 for 2+ years, 1 year on W4 and 4 months on the SM64. W4 seems a  bit mellow sounding, not very aggressive, very nice for ballads and accoustic. The JH16 is more energetic, comes with a very aggressive sound because of the powerful lower-end spectrum. SM64 is a brighter SM3, with overall better presentation- still has the enveloping soundstage.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #4,370 of 5,568
The mids of the UM3DD is really weird in their Demo on our local shop here (Stereo Singapore). I was playing some songs with great mids, W4 and SM64 are on par, then going to UM 3DD, it went downhill from there. The mids in the 3DD is spread across, like when you hear one voice in the center for W4 and SM64, but in the 3DD is like panned left-right across on front. The W4 and SM64 mids are on the center of your head, while the 3DD is in the slightly down front.

I have the JH16 and it has neutral mids, meaning they are not sweet-sounding like the W4 or SM64, but it shines on instrument separation and detail reatrieval very well. Compared to the W4 and SM64, it's really a hair better sonically. I have the JH16 for 2+ years, 1 year on W4 and 4 months on the SM64. W4 seems a  bit mellow sounding, not very aggressive, very nice for ballads and accoustic. The JH16 is more energetic, comes with a very aggressive sound because of the powerful lower-end spectrum. SM64 is a brighter SM3, with overall better presentation- still has the enveloping soundstage.

I have to agree. I tried the 3DD at stereo and the mids were downright weird, c my previous post. Faulty set?

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4,371 of 5,568
I absolutely love my W4! I have no need to search for anymore IEMs with my kind of sound sig. These really match exceptionally well with all my other HPs. Thank you Westone!!!

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4,372 of 5,568
I absolutely love my W4! I have no need to search for anymore IEMs with my kind of sound sig. These really match exceptionally well with all my other HPs. Thank you Westone!!!

Good for you then. However, I require custom fit as my ears are really awkward which causes imbalance on anything I use. Even Jerry Harvey said that I have the weirdest ears he has ever seen!

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #4,373 of 5,568
Lol, I was going to venture into custom IEMs if these didnt work out. Gladly, they fit my ears perfectly and sound exactly how i prefer them to.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4,375 of 5,568
Quote:
The 4r are my first venture into Westone iems and I am currently getting adjusted to the sound. I have settled on the blue star tips and the isolation is very good. I am really enjoying the sound directly (flac via poweramp) from my SGS4 and I am patiently awaiting my pico dac/amp (which should be shipping on Monday) to see how utilizing otg audio to the pico will affect the sound.

Regarding the ciem's I have been eyeing the JH13's and hope to order a pair in December.

Cool, Is it Pico Slim model? Am leaning toward Pico slim or P-51 Mustang!! Adding to the gear....a TWag cable! Why the DAC for? Just AMP is not enough to run w4?
Still waiting for your comments/reviews on these exciting gears, comming on soon!

Yes, regarding my first step in CIEM world, JH13 will be my first choice! But for now, the one that will fit more my budget, in the same price range to the W4r will be JH5.

biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4,376 of 5,568
Quote:

What about the JH13?  Do you have chance to auditionning? JH13 have less bass than JH16, and its ok for me!

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #4,377 of 5,568
Quote:

Yes,  agree with this! I love mine to! Next step  is an Amp or DAC/AMP from Pico Slim or RSA

biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,379 of 5,568
Quote:
Has anyone recently purchased the 4r? Did it come with the triple flange tips? So far some have and some have not.

I have personnaly get a pair of these Triple-flange tips. I get my W4r in january. You get yours? Why, are you in love with these flanges?  For many of us, silicone Stars tips are more better, popular!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back