Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4,011 of 5,568
Quote:
they show them as 500 bucks to me.

"just bought the w4r from earphone solutions for a very nice price of $374.25 with free shipping :) i eagerly await the literal orgasm unto my ears.  "

He's probably using a 25% off coupon code.  IDK what it is, but that's what it looks like.

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #4,013 of 5,568
Quote:
just bought the w4r from earphone solutions for a very nice price of $374.25 with free shipping :) i eagerly await the literal orgasm unto my ears.  

did they email you confirmation? I made a purchase saturday, the money was taken via paypal but i havent recieved any communication from that at all. Emailed yesterday to ask why i havent heard and still no reply.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4,014 of 5,568
This is how you get the most out of the W4. Phonak tips plus a 30ohm adapter which can be had on eBay for 12$.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #4,015 of 5,568
Well to be more specific - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689
seems to be what most are linking to nowadays. Have a 100Ohm and 75Ohm and they do wonders for the upper registers. One would be mad not to try them out.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,016 of 5,568
DON'T buy that^ cheap crappy adapter, this is of much better quality and the seller does provide 30ohms,100ohms for those that can amp. I've had both and there is no comparison. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #4,017 of 5,568
This is how you get the most out of the W4. Phonak tips plus a 30ohm adapter which can be had on eBay for 12$.

Wow, what's the effect of using that adapter ?

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4,018 of 5,568
Would you care to qualify where they had begun to fail (I'm assuming your complaints stem some sort of experience with these failing, as I can't see much left to be desired in terms of build, from the ones I have in front of me and the ones I see in the picture from the that link you posted)?

This isn't some sort of attempt to try and start a fight, I do own two of these and am genuinely interested as to where I might find them to fail later on just so I can look out in the future. I've had the 75ohm for my ER4P for a number of years now and nothing terrible has yet to sprung up, but if the new batch (i.e. the one I had just gotten for the W4s) are experiencing some sort of loss in quality it would be really prudent, and rather nice, if you could bring this to other people's attention as well because I would be rather worried. I also see the mass majority of links for added impedance adapters to be from the one I linked earlier (james444, a couple of other reputable people on the forum, had linked to them earlier as well) so that could be potentially dangerous if people are all advocating a shoddy product. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,019 of 5,568

Wow, what's the effect of using that adapter ?

See the link in my sig, pretty much makes it more neutral/detailed as the higher midrange is brought more forward and bass is a bit more neutralized. Not only that, it makes the treble more extended a bit. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4,020 of 5,568
Would you care to qualify where they had begun to fail (I'm assuming your complaints stem some sort of experience with these failing, as I can't see much left to be desired in terms of build, from the ones I have in front of me and the ones I see in the picture from the that link you posted)?

This isn't some sort of attempt to try and start a fight, I do own two of these and am genuinely interested as to where I might find them to fail later on just so I can look out in the future. I've had the 75ohm for my ER4P for a number of years now and nothing terrible has yet to sprung up, but if the new batch (i.e. the one I had just gotten for the W4s) are experiencing some sort of loss in quality it would be really prudent, and rather nice, if you could bring this to other people's attention as well because I would be rather worried. I also see the mass majority of links for added impedance adapters to be from the one I linked earlier (james444, a couple of other reputable people on the forum, had linked to them earlier as well) so that could be potentially dangerous if people are all advocating a shoddy product. 

Simply put, it uses a silver plug which isn't as sturdy, if it somehow bent even just a bit, it will begin to cut off. Heck even brand new it can cut off [twist it around, it cuts off], never trust silver plugs, go for gold. People link the one you post because they promote more ohm options,but the seller i linked has 30ohms, he just didn't mention it in his ad. I can assure you if you buy that newer one you'll agree, it is MUCH nicer and a lot more sturdy, not only that, it's 6$ cheaper LOL. 

I'm the one who introduced James444 and other users to that link, which I regret doing as I had no idea this other seller sells something nicer and cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back