Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3,631 of 5,568
Quote:
Got my W4 in Dec 2010, no problem so far

Quote:

I bought my W4 around February/March of 2011. Still using them with no complaints.

Thank you for your replies.

The reason I asked was because, I bought a W4R Jan 2012, had a faulty connection (which was sent back for a new one) and wondered from then on how long its gonna last, since I payed close to $300.

I just wanted to know whether those who purchased it at the beginning still have them with no problems

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3,632 of 5,568
Having my W4 for a few weeks now and also having the TF10, PFE-232, SuperFi.5 Pro here are my impressions:

Bass and mids: Perfect. More detailed and clearer than any of the above. I really love the bass and mids on these. Very smooth and detailed.

Highs: Here's where I feel it's lacking. There's just not enough energy in them. I don't expect it to be as much energy as the TF10 since they are more V shaped but I feel there's a major roll-off after 12khz or so which contributes to the 'veiled' sound people complain about.

Looking at the frequency graphs confirm this. There is not much energy after 12khz even though there is a significant bump at 10k.

http://en.goldenears.net/12511
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/11/westone-4.html

I really feel if the highs were present after 12k then this would be the perfect universal IEM. Right now because of this roll off they lack any sparkle and are a bit veiled/dark sounding. I don't need them to be as much as the TF10 or the PFE-232 but definitely a bit more would make this IEM sound fuller and a bit crisper.

Other than the treble the bass and midrange is really phenomenal. For certain types of music the W4 is incredible..

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #3,637 of 5,568
Then if you decide you really like it but want a better low profile version, try eBay for one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item439b92ead9

You can order them with the amount of resistance you want/need.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,638 of 5,568
Quote:
Then if you decide you really like it but want a better low profile version, try eBay for one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item439b92ead9

You can order them with the amount of resistance you want/need.

That's pretty great to know. Thanks! Do you have suggestions for other IEMs to try that are as good as the Westone 4 in bass and mids but with crisper highs? I found the PFE-232 a bit too V shapped and the highs were _too_ pronounced..

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3,639 of 5,568
Quote:
That's pretty great to know. Thanks! Do you have suggestions for other IEMs to try that are as good as the Westone 4 in bass and mids but with crisper highs? I found the PFE-232 a bit too V shapped and the highs were _too_ pronounced..

Maybe the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SB.  While I haven't heard this particular model from Hifiman, the RE272 maybe something to read about.(http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-re-262-and-re-272-ear-heaphones) It's supposed to be the evolutionary upgrade to the RE0, which has some of the best treble I've heard.  It will be considerable flatter through the bass though.  The upcoming Vsonic GR08 and Aurisonics ASG-2 (I've heard a prototype of the AS-2 custom; the G is the universal version) may be an alternative as well but both don't get released until Dec or Jan.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3,640 of 5,568
Quote:

The reason I asked was because, I bought a W4R Jan 2012, had a faulty connection (which was sent back for a new one) and wondered from then on how long its gonna last, since I payed close to $300.

I just wanted to know whether those who purchased it at the beginning still have them with no problems

I wouldn't tell that... since i had issues 2-3 tyms Due to left right channel imbalances ... and now im kinda Done with this westone! despite their great sound.  

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3,641 of 5,568
Quote:

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,642 of 5,568
well I just re-got another set of the W4r's? what the flib flabbin? lol, well I am really glad that I did! may I just say WOW!

I did a tip mod with cutting the stem out of an older set of W tips, put that on the nozzle, and then put on a larger tip! and may I say that I am having an uber nicer effect/sound, even more so then when I originally had with my first set of W4s,

I wish I had thought to do the basics/101 of IEMs with my firts set of W4's, which is that tips and fit WILL make a big difference with what we are hearing! 

I have read posts where someone says that they are getting an aweful sound with a tried and true IEM, thin sounding or such, and most of the time they aren't getting a good fit? and think that it is the IEM that is crappy and everyone else has poor taste in what sound they like? recently on the Sony MDR EX1000 thread, where they say that they are bass light and thin sounding?  I had and sold a set of them, and they are not as such, defects occur, but before we convince ourselves of that, the basics/101 is what we should do,

but with theses W4's tip modding is the next not so basic step, but is a creative way to get the most from these little beauties,

I am loving the deatail soundstage, and bass! not as mid centric as my ASG-1.2's, but an uber nice change with having my top end sound back again! and not loosing out on the others, the mids and bass, the bass is uber punchy and tight, is there when it is suppodsed to be and in the background not covering up any of the the top end, when not needed, and not bledding into the mids, mee likey! they have a very full and rich sound to them! much like the ASGs but without the uber heaviness, which is awesome also, but now I can go back and forth?

negatives would be I wish the over the ear guide wires where longer and extended to the end of the tube? kind of awkward with having the extra cm or so going straight because there is no wire there, and with it not being longer I can't get it as positioned as easily? other than that i am glad I got them the second time around, damn you EarphoneSolutions! lol

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,643 of 5,568
I just received a set of Westone 4 ear buds having taken advantage of a "Black Friday" deal from Earphone Solutions (30% discount!). 
etysmile.gif
  They are replacing Shure E4C's purchased back in 2005 (based on Head-Fi recommendations at the time) and which have served me well. 

Fortunately, the first ear tip I decided to try was the triple-flange. WOW! With a full insertion, the sound was/is impressive. The bass is deep and articulate, super-wide sound stage, and intricate detail - instruments are easily differentiated. After an hour or two, though, I started to feel a bit of discomfort in the right ear and decided that the tips were a bit too long for my ear canals. In fact, I had pushed it in so far that it actually stopped sound entirely. So, I simply trimmed the stalk to be even with the largest flange. Now, when I insert them fully, I get good isolation and outstanding bass response. One technique I learned on Head-Fi that helps with triple-flange insertion is to pull down on the ear lobes, then gently press the buds into the ear to ensure a nice seal.

For grins, I did try other tips (except Comply-never liked the foamies), but none of them could get quite deep enough to provide a satisfactory sound field -- the most noticeable result being substantially weaker bass. 

One concern I had was that, due to the W4's slightly higher impedance (31 Ohms), I might need a supplementary portable amp to drive them. Not so at all - at least not with the triple-flange tips. My Samsung Galaxy S3 and my Cowon iAudio X5 both generate plenty of volume at about 75% 80-85% of max. My Lenovo X201T laptop is considerably weaker in volume, but still sufficient. 

Based on another recommendation from Head-Fi, I just ordered a package of 3 MEElectronics triple-flange tips (large black; $5.99 + shipping). I'll report on my experiences with them once they arrive and I have tested them. 

Ken

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,644 of 5,568
Two things:

In response to spyro and others asking about amps:

I use my W4r's mainly to walk around and commute with my iPhone 4s, and have found that, IMO, the E11 is a bit too bass heavy and powerful, even in the "light" setting... I bought the iFuzen# amp-battery-case and I have to say it enhances the sound well enough to amply justify the investment... It's a bit pricey (about 130) but the stage and detail come out even better (especially in third setting, since there are 4), so definitely a very enjoyable solution...

While I wait for my buy-in-coins flanges, a question to all:

Anybody try the alpine double-flanges, with the widened exit hole? Found them here: http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?PT_ID=268&P_ID=1142

Anybody familiar?

Edit to say: I did NOT get the new tips, so I'm pissed and looking for alternatives while they get marketed...

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #3,645 of 5,568
As far as tips go, I've found that the best tips for my W4 by far, are the black silicone tips that came with my Monster Coppers. They have a larger exit hole. I have to make an adaptor from a Shure Olive but OMG! The soundstage and details REALLY open up and allow for a bit more brightness in the treble region making these just perfect for me. Still very smooth and full but with more treble extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back