Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 21, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #3,586 of 5,568
Quote:

so although BAs aren't supposed to need burning in, I found that the W4s really benefitted after about 60 or so hours of play time on them, along with some intense pink, white, and frequency sweeps sessions, in the end the treble came around on them, I was really quiet surprised, but in the end end! lol, the ASGs won over the bass head in me? hhmmm go figure,
tongue.gif

After I received one of the first W4 to ship I posted that they were the first balanced armature IEM that I've tried which opened up and became more spacious and detailed with over 24 hours of burn-in.  It's strange, because I listened to them for 30 minutes and then I set them aside for 24 hours with loud music playing, and then listened again for the 1st time in 24 hours - and the change was pretty apparent in terms of how much more open and crisp they were (and thus more immersive or enjoyable).  There was no way I "got used to their sound" when I wasn't even listening during that time.  I have not heard this with other BA IEMs since.

I feel like I've had the W4 forever, and they are still the one audiophile universal IEM that I carry around with me everywhere, along with an inexpensive iPhone microphone headset (like NE-600M or V-Moda Vibrato).  I own the Triple.fi 10 Pro vi with microphone and they sit unused in a box under my bed, after I had to glue them back together because they didn't hold up in my pocket after 2 weeks.  The W4 have traveled thousands of miles with me and still look new.  I kept meaning to try the TF10Pro vi mic cable with the UM3X-R but never got around to it.  I'll have to do that with some W4R instead.

Changing the subject - like Spyro says, the W4 are an elegant and non-fatiguing IEM for general all around use.  I have half a dozen high-end custom IEM, and when I'm at home I use those most with a well matched DAC and amp, so fatigue isn't an issue for me like it is with him.  But because I don't want to risk losing an $800-$1200 custom when I'm mobile I'm carrying around the W4.  

When I went to Mexico for Christmas last year I only took the W4 with me, not because they're better than my customs but because they are safer and more convenient - and I agree that I'm not losing a whole lot in comparison (sound-wise).  The W4 are clearly better than my Livewires customs or Freq-Show, my SE-530 re-shelled into customs, or my Alien Ears C3 customs (which replaced the Freq-Show but were so bright and harsh that I GAVE THEM AWAY).  I do think if I could only pick one universal fit IEM to own, it would be the W4, although the rest of my high-end customs are better than (UE11Pro, ES3X, ES5, JH13Pro x2, JH16 Freq-Phase).  But sound alone doesn't drive the choice of what I carry around or use in certain circumstances.  It's picking the right tool for the particular job.  Note - I almost didn't put the UE11Pro in the list of "better" due to their mid-bass bloom, but when they are used with my Woo WA6 or ZDT desktop amps they really shine.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #3,587 of 5,568
RE:  "Sparkle" of W4

It has sparkle but it is a slightly darker sparkle (than say an ER4 or RE-272).  All the treble is there and it sounds REAL (unlike W3), nothing is missing.  Loads and loads of "shimmer" might be the preferred adjective.

I always thought UM3X as least fatiguing IEM I've owned and it is very non-fatiguing but over long periods the closed in soundstage can make it a bit bland or boring.  The much larger open soundstage of W4 make me want to listen all day long while still retaining excitement song after song.

For those on the fence, the new tips really put the W4 over the top.  Call Earphone Solutions or another authorized dealer to ask if they can tell you if their W4 stock includes the new tips (not sure if they can tell without opening) The new tips are everything I have been wishing for.  Total no-brainer...

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3,588 of 5,568
Quote:

For those on the fence, the new tips really put the W4 over the top.  Call Earphone Solutions or another authorized dealer to ask if they can tell you if their W4 stock includes the new tips (not sure if they can tell without opening) The new tips are everything I have been wishing for.  Total no-brainer...

well ggrrr and ugh! lol, I'm back off the wagon, or I'm not on the fence anymore again? I couldn't resist, Earphone Solutions, newsletter subscribers special? I almost went for the 25% off, but resisted? and secretly told myself that if they came up with a BF special that I would rethink getting another set of the W4R's? 

well guess what they did, when I got home there it was, an e-mail form EPS? and the NSS? and so there I went? and now here they will soon be, I put in the order, and 10 min.  later I get the "your order is shiped" e-mail, WHAT? so no going back now? no second thoughts? I am now certifiable, er um, commited,
basshead.gif
, and couldn't be happier! 

I did call to ask if maybe they had new inventory with the new tips? I was told that what they have they just recieved 2 days ago? nothing definative? so fingers crossed, no biggie, if not I will mod some tips and give these beauties another try,

an affair to remember, THANKS2012 got me a great deal
wink_face.gif
! now thru till sunday!

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #3,590 of 5,568
sweet , thanks for the feedback, then that makes it all the more sweeter!

and the only reason I am getting them for the second time, is I know first hand what a huge difference tips and a good fit can make, just need to realise when to impliment it? lol, 

so I am really looking forward to what new sound I will discover, from the same ol IEM? sitting on a pile of golden sound and never new it? well I will know soon enough, thanks EPS!

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #3,591 of 5,568
How to recognize the new tips?

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,592 of 5,568
Quote:

After I received one of the first W4 to ship I posted that they were the first balanced armature IEM that I've tried which opened up and became more spacious and detailed with over 24 hours of burn-in.  It's strange, because I listened to them for 30 minutes and then I set them aside for 24 hours with loud music playing, and then listened again for the 1st time in 24 hours - and the change was pretty apparent in terms of how much more open and crisp they were (and thus more immersive or enjoyable).  There was no way I "got used to their sound" when I wasn't even listening during that time.  I have not heard this with other BA IEMs since.

I feel like I've had the W4 forever, and they are still the one audiophile universal IEM that I carry around with me everywhere, along with an inexpensive iPhone microphone headset (like NE-600M or V-Moda Vibrato).  I own the Triple.fi 10 Pro vi with microphone and they sit unused in a box under my bed, after I had to glue them back together because they didn't hold up in my pocket after 2 weeks.  The W4 have traveled thousands of miles with me and still look new.  I kept meaning to try the TF10Pro vi mic cable with the UM3X-R but never got around to it.  I'll have to do that with some W4R instead.

Changing the subject - like Spyro says, the W4 are an elegant and non-fatiguing IEM for general all around use.  I have half a dozen high-end custom IEM, and when I'm at home I use those most with a well matched DAC and amp, so fatigue isn't an issue for me like it is with him.  But because I don't want to risk losing an $800-$1200 custom when I'm mobile I'm carrying around the W4.  

When I went to Mexico for Christmas last year I only took the W4 with me, not because they're better than my customs but because they are safer and more convenient - and I agree that I'm not losing a whole lot in comparison (sound-wise).  The W4 are clearly better than my Livewires customs or Freq-Show, my SE-530 re-shelled into customs, or my Alien Ears C3 customs (which replaced the Freq-Show but were so bright and harsh that I GAVE THEM AWAY).  I do think if I could only pick one universal fit IEM to own, it would be the W4, although the rest of my high-end customs are better than (UE11Pro, ES3X, ES5, JH13Pro x2, JH16 Freq-Phase).  But sound alone doesn't drive the choice of what I carry around or use in certain circumstances.  It's picking the right tool for the particular job.  Note - I almost didn't put the UE11Pro in the list of "better" due to their mid-bass bloom, but when they are used with my Woo WA6 or ZDT desktop amps they really shine.

Do you use custom sleeves with the W4? UM56? I think I read that somewhere. If so, how do they differ from universal tips sound-wise?

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #3,593 of 5,568
I still received the old tips with my W4 last week, but it might have been stock from Europe. Is there any place where one can order the new tips, else I might order some Shure olives which are very comfortable? Would also appreciate feedback on the UM56, as I can order these from my local dealer which could be a worthwhile investment.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #3,594 of 5,568
I do agree with headphone addict. when they are paired with a desktop amp they are phenomenal. I just got my single power mpx 3 and it's just unreal that i'm listening to universal iems, cause they feel like full sized. I can close my eyes and point out the positions of the instruments.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #3,595 of 5,568
Hey,

I've been thinking about purchasing either the Westone 4 or 4R. Any comments on how these sound paired with a Sansa Fuze or Fiio E7 + E9?

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3,596 of 5,568
How well is the UM56 Custom Adapter? Their site gives it a rating of 3 stars. This makes me wonder what people's experiences are to it SQ-wise and build quality-wise. I'll also assume the best material is silicone, not vinyl.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #3,597 of 5,568
Hey,
I've been thinking about purchasing either the Westone 4 or 4R. Any comments on how these sound paired with a Sansa Fuze or Fiio E7 + E9?

iIt sounds good out of the E7... Don't run it out of the E9. It doesn't need the juice and it does nothing for the sound.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #3,598 of 5,568
I jumped on the Earphones Solutions deal as well. The last IEM I had was the TF10 and I wasn't very fond of that at all. My preference lies in open full sized cans, but recent travel and future plans necessitated the W4R purchase. I hope mine comes with the new tips, with some comply tips for variety.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #3,599 of 5,568
Quote:
I jumped on the Earphones Solutions deal as well. The last IEM I had was the TF10 and I wasn't very fond of that at all. My preference lies in open full sized cans, but recent travel and future plans necessitated the W4R purchase. I hope mine comes with the new tips, with some comply tips for variety.

Got mine from last year's Black Friday as well. These are much better than the TF10. I'd put them as the HD650 of the IEM world, warm with a mid-bass hump, and mid centric.

Try the biflanges from buyincoins for $2. Some of the best tips for these. Olives are also good.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,600 of 5,568
Quote:
Got mine from last year's Black Friday as well. These are much better than the TF10. I'd put them as the HD650 of the IEM world, warm with a mid-bass hump, and mid centric.

Try the biflanges from buyincoins for $2. Some of the best tips for these. Olives are also good.

+1 on W4s being the HD650 of IEMs. Though I find the 650 does spacing/bass a bit better. (of course)
But in terms of value and what it gives.. the W4R is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back