Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #3,541 of 5,568
Quote:
Amen my brother. I the $2 bucks i spent on the biflange tips from buyincoins FOR SURE makes more audible tangible sound improvement than any gazillion dollar fancy pants re-cable job. Thats a measurable fact.

Agreed...you need your IEM's to sound the *best* (to your ears) with what you have....otherwise the gazillion dollars on fancy parts and re-cabling will just continue to enhance the sound you are looking to change.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #3,542 of 5,568
Quote:
Twinqy, I find out that the shure's foam doesnt fit to my ear. It feels that the material is too solid

The Shure olives will definitely soften up with use fairly quickly.  I roll mine between my fingers and let them expand in my ear canal.  A few sessions of on and off, with this type of massaging is all it takes..  They will start to get too soft where the isolation starts to go, this is when I know I need to make a tip change.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #3,544 of 5,568
The shure's are good, but unfortunately I lost mine, any idea what other tips would have a good seal, and keep the bass intact?

I've heard guys who like the triflange from the Mee M6.

I use the biflange tips from buyincoins.com.

If you are looking for a foam tip, I like the TS400 comply tip with the rubber adapter mod made from cutting the stalk of the grey stock tips.

Other's swear by the sony hybrids. All of the above need the little adapter mod to work.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #3,545 of 5,568
basshead.gif

I just received the $2 tips from "buy in coins" recommended by Doc Holliday. Apart from the stock white translucent Westone tip, I haven't heard anything which changes the sound so much.
It tones down the mid bass to a slight "bump bump bump" instead of a thud. The upper mid and treble do come through alot better. Whether it's because of the decrease in bass or the treble brought forward I guess is not important, but this is the end result. After the initial shock of the sound  change, my ears have gotten used to the sound and I can say that the bass does return abit and the highs still retain the  extra sparkle.
It does lose some of the Westone sound so the jury's out on whether I will keep using these tips.
I just got an ear impression today to get a custom sleeve put on my W4R but this will take over a month to get back to me.
In terms of fit, the triple flange cut down to a bi flange fits slightly better than these (again it could be that I just need to get used to them). Unfortunately the fit still hasn't improved but again this is purely in my personal case and your mileage may vary.
These tips are definitely worth a try for all those curious and/or want some extra sparkling dust sprinkled all over the upper mids and highs
These will forever be known as the Doctor's Special

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #3,546 of 5,568
Quote:
basshead.gif

I just received the $2 tips from "buy in coins" recommended by Doc Holliday. Apart from the stock white translucent Westone tip, I haven't heard anything which changes the sound so much.
It tones down the mid bass to a slight "bump bump bump" instead of a thud. The upper mid and treble do come through alot better. Whether it's because of the decrease in bass or the treble brought forward I guess is not important, but this is the end result.
It does lose some of the Westone sound so the jury's out on whether I will keep using these tips.
I just got an ear impression today to get a custom sleeve put on my W4R but this will take over a month to get back to me.
In terms of fit, the triple flange cut down to a bi flange fits slightly better than these (again it could be that I just need to get used to them).
These will forever be known as the Doctor's Special

You got them? I've been waiting for my pair to come in for weeks now. 

Yeah, planning to get some custom sleeves as well. I mean, isolation is fine on these, but silicone will just take them to the next level. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,547 of 5,568
Quote:
You got them? I've been waiting for my pair to come in for weeks now. 

Yeah, planning to get some custom sleeves as well. I mean, isolation is fine on these, but silicone will just take them to the next level. 

You in Australia? I have weirdly...15 pairs left (8 white, 7 black) i can ship them to you if you wish, free of charge

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3,548 of 5,568
Well sorry those didn't work out for ya. Good thing they are cheaper than dirt :)

My poor little ears feel "violated" with the various suggested bi/tri flange tips that have been recommended. Guess they are sensitive. Comfort with those are the best IMO and isolation is superb.

TwinQY hope you don't get similar results upon my recommendation :fingers crossed:

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3,549 of 5,568
Quote:
Well sorry those didn't work out for ya. Good thing they are cheaper than dirt
smily_headphones1.gif

My poor little ears feel "violated" with the various suggested bi/tri flange tips that have been recommended. Guess they are sensitive. Comfort with those are the best IMO and isolation is superb.
TwinQY hope you don't get similar results upon my recommendation :fingers crossed:

Hopefully they can satisfy my tip needs until the custom tips come in. Always preferred the deep insertion of biflanges. 

Quote:
You in Australia? I have weirdly...15 pairs left (8 white, 7 black) i can ship them to you if you wish, free of charge

Nah, shipping from Australia to Canada would be way too harsh on either of us. Appreciate the gesture!

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,550 of 5,568
Quote:
Well sorry those didn't work out for ya. Good thing they are cheaper than dirt
smily_headphones1.gif

I was more than impressed at the changes those tips have brought to the W4, I'm gonna keep using them till my custom tip comes in. In terms of fit, I have to be careful about how i insert them whereas the tri/bi flange tips i can just jab them in and it's comfy.
A very interesting experiment costing next to nothing. Thanks Doc

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3,551 of 5,568
Hopefully they can satisfy my tip needs until the custom tips come in. Always preferred the deep insertion of biflanges. 

Hoping they will give you a similar sound to your hybrids except with slightly deeper insertion. Looking forward to getting your impressions compared to those.

I was more than impressed at the changes those tips have brought to the W4, I'm gonna keep using them till my custom tip comes in. In terms of fit, I have to be careful about how i insert them whereas the tri/bi flange tips i can just jab them in and it's comfy.
A very interesting experiment costing next to nothing. Thanks Doc

Oh good. I thought you were disappointed at first. Glad they are working out for the time being.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3,552 of 5,568
Just got my W4R this week and very pleased with it. I am also happy with the stock cable interms of sound and construction. Curious to know if anyone has changed their cables for the aftermarket and did it take the sound to a different level? Would appreciate any suggestion. Like I said, the stock cable produces sound beautifully.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3,553 of 5,568
Quote:

$2 tips from "buy in coins" --> how does that looks like mate ?
I'm curious to know as well :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #3,555 of 5,568
I am thinking about getting a pair of these or similarly priced IEMs. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with using them with a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2. I am not sure if the DAC in the Galaxy is good enough for these phones and I don't want to be super disappointed if I do get them. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back